Top Manager Candidates

connja

11 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

It's just fun to speculate though. Come on these two people are going to determine where our franchise goes for better or worse. Of course, the GM's going to be hired and then they'll make their choice for manager. It's just fun to speculate about who would be a good fit and what they're looking for. 

Ok. I do think it would be awful for the Orioles to speak with anyone at all. Hire a GM. Let him/Her build a team. Managers are not that important. Most of them now work cheap and on short contracts. 

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, weams said:

Ok. I do think it would be awful for the Orioles to speak with anyone at all. Hire a GM. Let him/Her build a team. Managers are not that important. Most of them now work cheap and on short contracts. 

I love how we are being politically correct here. I'm sure lots of women are on the list. Look, I don't care who it is as long as they put together a winner, but let's live in reality here.  The PC is out of control these days.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Just saying that it's something to talk about. I agree that the GM pick is more important given the long range of responsibilities the GM has versus the manager but you know Buck was with us a long time, I was still an undergrad when we hired him. I'm 31 now. I'm definitely interested in seeing the new manager of my favorite team will be. 

I agree with giving the GM authority to choose the manager, but when it comes to choosing Orioles managers the baseball brain trust hasn't always been right.

• Angelos allowed his baseball people to choose the manager for the 1995 season, after Johnny Oates was let go. They chose Phil Regan.
  • MacPhail didn't want to hire Buck, he wanted Eric Wedge. Angelos hired Buck.

So, we'll see how it goes. 

7 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I love how we are being politically correct here. I'm sure lots of women are on the list. Look, I don't care who it is as long as they put together a winner, but let's live in reality here.  The PC is out of control these days.

You understand Kim Ng most recently of the Dodgers (and with MLB) has been a top GM candidate for a number of years now. Clearly not a "PC" statement.

Well, I've been banging the drum for Bordick as an outside-the-box type of hire, but I know the O's aren't usually wont to do that - I'm betting they'll play it by their typical path-of-least-resistance M.O. 

That said, here's a vote for John Russell. He's got the Buck DNA, which is certainly a plus. Yes, he flopped his first managerial go-round, but he appears to be respected and well-liked by players and fellow coaches alike, and projects an even-keeled, patient persona that would serve well in leading a youthful team. 

(Here's a nice expansive piece on J.R. from 4 years ago.

Have Dickerson slide over to the bench. I actually wouldn't object to him in the lead role, but I'd prefer to keep him in a spot where he can continue to focus on infield instruction and coaching 'em up. 

In any case, both are excellent teachers and strong on fundamentals, which is of paramount importance to developing young talent. I think they'd make a solid tandem and I'm all for giving them a shot.

I also feel that Johnson will wind up being in the mix, and I could be talked into him as well, but I think I lean toward him staying put and doing what he's been doing at Norfolk.

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I agree with giving the GM authority to choose the manager, but when it comes to choosing Orioles managers the baseball brain trust hasn't always been right.

• Angelos allowed his baseball people to choose the manager for the 1995 season, after Johnny Oates was let go. They chose Phil Regan.

I never said it would be a good choice.

What we now know.

There will be a new GM hired from without that will have full authority over baseball ops.

Not a three headed hydra. Not a team of rivals. Not an ownership guided front office. An autonomous head to the baseball operations department.

That person, for better or worse, will attempt to fashion a rebuild from what has been demoed by a previous regime. 

We know that person will be saddled with the contracts of Davis, Cobb, and Cashner. 

That person will hire a new manager and staff and within the baseball ops portion of the business be judged on the ultimate success or failure on the field.

What we don't know.

What type on GM is being hired. Though strong verbiage was issued about  an analytics based front office going forward. 

Whether the Orioles will be sold or moved.

THe future of the MASN dispute and it's relationship to the other owners and MLB commissioner.

How much money will be allocated to baseball ops over the period that this GM/EVP/President serves. 

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

“this individual will have the final determination on all baseball matters that he or she believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community."

2 hours ago, Absltgreek said:

You understand Kim Ng most recently of the Dodgers (and with MLB) has been a top GM candidate for a number of years now. Clearly not a "PC" statement.

I stand corrected. I will be happy with whomever he/she is we hire to be manager and whomever he/she is we hire to be GM as long as we win. I will also be happy whomever he/she is who is our first draft pick and whomever he/she is we sign to play shortstop for next year.

2 hours ago, pastorfan said:

I stand corrected. I will be happy with whomever he/she is we hire to be manager and whomever he/she is we hire to be GM as long as we win. I will also be happy whomever he/she is who is our first draft pick and whomever he/she is we sign to play shortstop for next year.

Baseball players are only male on a professional level at this point.  Please don't mock other posters who are correct in their thoughts with these types of false analogies. It is absolutely a fact that at any moment female candidates could be hired for any management position in any organization. Any. They would not need to have baseball experience for many positions that are currently available. 

The idea that a woman would not be viable outside of the former norms that we have seen are not accurate.

It's a different world from 1945.  If you want to make statements about PC culture please go to Facebook for that. 

Archived