Duquette is expected to be fired

Thato'sfan

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would be cool with that. We are a few seasons away from contending. Why not? Not sure who else that is very good that will take the job.

And we could be even more seasons away from contending if we bring in an inexperienced GM who doesn't know how to build a team.

The GM role isn't like the manager, where you could stick a warm body for a couple years and replace him when you're ready to win. The GM is the guy who affects the present and future of the whole organization. It's no place to be messing around with a guy who doesn't know what he's doing.

1 minute ago, raypetty said:

What would the thoughts be IF the Angelos brothers brought in Cal Ripken as the new GM and let him pick the new manager?

That would almost be as bad a choice for me as Brady. Cal could be useful in player development and teaching the Oriole way that is long forgotten.

Get someone with front office experience preferably from an organization like the Rays, Astros or Indians.

Three organizations similar to the Orioles that don’t have the unlimited resources of the Dodgers and Yankees.  

8 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

If they are trying to hire anyone worth their salt as their next GM or Team President, one would think that person is going to insist on a change/clarification of title for Brady Anderson.

I can't imagine anyone would accept the job as a new hire with Brady being allowed to float from assignment to assignment to the owners' box as he saw fit.

Brady is probably on the selection committee.

Just now, eddie83 said:

He should be selecting the workout equipment and that is about it. 

I  think he could do some things on the player development side.  He seems to have some ability with that but based on the reports/reading between the lines, it just seems like the guy would be totally out of his depth if he was tasked with a role like Player Development Director.  That is simply to big an organizational job for him. 

Again, based on the reporting, He likes working with guys in small groups but he also likes not having to report to anyone and doing what he wants when he wants.

It just seems like there's no way to integrate him into a properly functioning organization.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I have to think that 5/6 will get more competitive, at least. 
    • I have not seen any reports of a limit on the number of qualifying offers a team can make.   I disagree that Santander is unlikely to receive a QO, or that he will accept it if he gets one.  Of course, it depends how the rest of his season plays out.  But I’ve been on record that if Santander has a season as good as the last two (120/121 OPS+), he should get a QO and will turn it down.  Right now he’s at 131 OPS+, so we’ll see how it goes from here.  
    • I was curious how GRod would pitch given that huge crowd and electric atmosphere. I feel like he has a tendency to get too amped up and overthrow. Granted I didn’t start watching until inning 3, but he looked absolutely in control and executed his pitches.  Certainly a big step forward as far as I’m concerned.
    • Unless Santander goes on an absolute tear the rest of the season, I don't think he turns down a qualifying offer. And even then, it'd be real easy to look at FA deals for 30-ish year old outfielders who are good regulars but not stars and realize there's a good chance he won't beat a QO in guaranteed money, especially with a QO attached. As much as I'd like the pick, I don't want to gamble 20-30M and another year of stunted opportunity for our young outfielders on Santander turning down a QO.
    • Yeah, it's getting to the point where I'm not going to cry if McDermott finishes the year in AAA. I'm not against bringing him up necessarily, but he's clearly got more work to do on control/command if he wants to be a good major league starter long-term.
    • Are there any other qualifications other than signing a contract for 50+M?  A contract of that value spread over 3-4 years would give him a raise and make other teams give some consideration to sign him.  I think that's the only way a QO would work for him.  But I don't think they put him in jeopardy - altho the Orioles could match an offer, I suppose.  I think they value him pretty highly even if he won't command top money. 
    • I did say "unlikely" before "no matter what." Now that I re-read that though, it's kind of a bizarre sentence so I can see why you interpreted it that way. Of course there's a shot a player taken at 1-22 succeeds. Elias is certainly above average at drafting, possibly well above average, but the odds are still against him here, as they are for pretty much any individual pick he makes. I'm not trying to knock Elias here, just stating the fact that the vast majority of players selected in the back of the first round don't turn into solid regulars and so you shouldn't pass up someone you think is more likely to succeed here to draft "for need." I'm certain someone who will be available at this pick will have an incredible major league career. The odds are against it being whoever we draft though. That's just math.
  • Popular Contributors