When will the Orioles Announce hirings?

Bahama O's Fan

21 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I hate LaRussa with a passion like the burning of a million suns.

As an officer of the court (an attorney) he stood by while his employees broke the law on a continuing basis.  As a manipulator of bullpens, he is personally responsible for the pace of play issues.

And, I think he kicked a puppy once.

I'm not surprised by too much nowadays, but I'd certainly raise an eyebrow if it were ever discovered that he'd done that.

Anyway, thanks but no thanks to TLR.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I hate LaRussa with a passion like the burning of a million suns.

As an officer of the court (an attorney) he stood by while his employees broke the law on a continuing basis.  As a manipulator of bullpens, he is personally responsible for the pace of play issues.

And, I think he kicked a puppy once.

Wasn't that back in 1982 at a frat party? :)

One game away from interviewing Mike Elias and Matt Arnold for GM.

Here is a little different perspective.   Roch has been saying that the O's President has to be hired before the GM.   Well, maybe.   We certain don't want them at odds with each other.   But I do think they have totally different jobs.

The President should externally facing.   Someone who has the respect of the MLB owners and the Commissioner's office.    He does not have have to be young and vibrant .  He has to be connected and respected.    His main job is to inspired enough confidence that  O's ownership  team is headed in the right direction.   So the Angelos brothers are approved as owners and so the the MASN dispute comes to a acceptable compromise .      My candidate for the O's President is Joe Torre.   He is respected by all of the MLB hierarchy.

The GM or VP of Baseball Operation has an internally focus.  His job with to building a winning organization from the ground up.   Scouting, Player Development, Analytics and Field Management.   He should be young,  and experienced in all these fields,  and from an organization that has done a rebuild recently.       Both the Astros AGM Mike Elisa and the Brewers Matt Arnold would meet the criteria.    One of these guys may be selected by the Giants has their GM.     The Mets seem on a different path.  They may want someone who was been a GM before or someone that is a little older to handle the New York press  core and the pressures that go with a high profile job in that city.

I would be happy with either of these candidates.   I think they could do a good job of building a winner in Baltimore.  If he Astros and Brewers fall out of the playoffs,  maybe  the O's interview process getting close to completion.

On 10/14/2018 at 7:52 AM, Frobby said:

I wonder if we’ll start seeing some activity this week.    Looking back at our last GM search, Jerry Dipoto interviewed on October 18 and Tony LaCava on October 19.

I wonder if Graham will be left in as President, and they just hire a GM and then manager?

On 10/8/2018 at 2:39 PM, weams said:

So someone who gets the organization ready for Portland. 

You often float the idea that the team might be moved eventually, and I don't understand why. It is pretty baseless. There are a few teams who would be more likely to move first. The Orioles are not going anywhere. The Rays and Athletics would almost certainly be moved first. The Athletics would probably make the most sense for a Portland market.

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

You often float the idea that the team might be moved eventually, and I don't understand why. It is pretty baseless. There are a few teams who would be more likely to move first. The Orioles are not going anywhere. The Rays and Athletics would almost certainly be moved first. The Athletics would probably make the most sense for a Portland market.

If it was anybody else by Weams, I would say that was trolling.

Weams has never been a troll.

For the record, while I dont believe they are moving.

There are enough articles from guys like Rosenthial with this idea, to said its baseless.

33 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

There are enough articles from guys like Rosenthial with this idea, to said its baseless.

I'm pretty sure Ken Rosenthal's middle name is "Baseless". He typically just throws you know what at the wall and sees what sticks. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm pretty sure Ken Rosenthal's middle name is "Baseless". He typically just throws you know what at the wall and sees what sticks. 

I dont care much for him, but he is a mainstream reporter, and there are other decent reporters like Loverro and the Sun guys have reported the same thing.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe I just missed it -- I miss a lot -- but I haven't seen any suggestion, other than from posters on this board, that the Orioles might move in, say, the next 10 to 15 years. Can somebody direct me to some of that stuff?

I have no inside information, but I have followed the Tampa and Oakland situations pretty closely and havev tried to note the few comments from within MLB about future expansion. It's inconceivable to me that the MLB owners would permit the Orioles or any other team to move until both TB and Oakland get new stadia or one of them gives up trying and settles on a new city -- unless the move is to a city that Tampa Bay and Oakland have decided they're not interested in.

It's clear to me that, once those two franchises have decided whether to stay (with new ballparks) or move, MLB will start the process of auctioning off two expansion franchises. I don't believe the owners would agree to a move by a team (other than TB or Oakland) that takes a potentially desirable location off the board for expansion since such a move would be seen as taking money out of the existing teams' pockets by reducing the price to be paid for an expansion franchise.

This is more speculative, but I don't believe the owners would ever approve an Angelos-owned team's request to move from Baltimore. Again I'm just extrapolating from the limited facts that I know, but I expect that MLB and the other owners would regard such a request as an admission by the Angeloses that they are not competent to operate a team that's competitive and that they would deny such a request in the hope it would induce a sale of the team to a potentially competent operator.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Maybe I just missed it -- I miss a lot -- but I haven't seen any suggestion, other than from posters on this board, that the Orioles might move in, say, the next 10 to 15 years. Can somebody direct me to some of that stuff?

I have no inside information, but I have followed the Tampa and Oakland situations pretty closely and havev tried to note the few comments from within MLB about future expansion. It's inconceivable to me that the MLB owners would permit the Orioles or any other team to move until both TB and Oakland get new stadia or one of them gives up trying and settles on a new city -- unless the move is to a city that Tampa Bay and Oakland have decided they're not interested in.

It's clear to me that, once those two franchises have decided whether to stay (with new ballparks) or move, MLB will start the process of auctioning off two expansion franchises. I don't believe the owners would agree to a move by a team (other than TB or Oakland) that takes a potentially desirable location off the board for expansion since such a move would be seen as taking money out of the existing teams' pockets by reducing the price to be paid for an expansion franchise.

This is more speculative, but I don't believe the owners would ever approve an Angelos-owned team's request to move from Baltimore. Again I'm just extrapolating from the limited facts that I know, but I expect that MLB and the other owners would regard such a request as an admission by the Angeloses that they are not competent to operate a team that's competitive and that they would deny such a request in the hope it would induce a sale of the team to a potentially competent operator.

I dont think they are moving.

Smuck wrote the same thing in the baltimore sun, but thats a pay site.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/26/loverro-baltimore-whispers-orioles-leaving/

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think they are moving.

Smuck wrote the same thing in the baltimore sun, but thats a pay site.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/26/loverro-baltimore-whispers-orioles-leaving/

Thanks.

The references to "rumors" and "whispers" about the Orioles leaving town don't mean much to me. And there's co consideration as to whether the MLB owners would permit the team to abandon Baltimore after 64 years -- I don't think that's the case.

I think Rosenthal's comment is closer to the mark: "But baseball’s concern is the franchise’s current governance, not its long-term viability in Baltimore, sources say. Many within the sport regard the team as a sleeping giant." I take "baseball" there to mean MLB -- Mighty Manfred and his lieutenants -- and maybe a few owners or GMs. I don't know what those people really think about the viability of an AL East franchise in Baltimore if MLB adheres to its original arbitration decision screwing the Orioles, but I have no doubt they will tell anyone who wants to hear their views that the problem is with the owners -- both  Peter Angelos's long-term incompetence and the short-term who's-in-charge-here? uncertainty. 

One issue that I hadn't though about until a few minutes ago is where a move by the Orioles would leave the MASN arrangement. When I get around to it, I'll take a look at the public portions of he MASN contract to see whether they say anything about the Orioles (or Nats) moving. At a minimum, resolving the MASN arrangement would be another hurdle to the Orioles leaving Baltimore.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

One game away from interviewing Mike Elias and Matt Arnold for GM.

Here is a little different perspective.   Roch has been saying that the O's President has to be hired before the GM.   Well, maybe.   We certain don't want them at odds with each other.   But I do think they have totally different jobs.

The President should externally facing.   Someone who has the respect of the MLB owners and the Commissioner's office.    He does not have have to be young and vibrant .  He has to be connected and respected.    His main job is to inspired enough confidence that  O's ownership  team is headed in the right direction.   So the Angelos brothers are approved as owners and so the the MASN dispute comes to a acceptable compromise .      My candidate for the O's President is Joe Torre.   He is respected by all of the MLB hierarchy.

The GM or VP of Baseball Operation has an internally focus.  His job with to building a winning organization from the ground up.   Scouting, Player Development, Analytics and Field Management.   He should be young,  and experienced in all these fields,  and from an organization that has done a rebuild recently.       Both the Astros AGM Mike Elisa and the Brewers Matt Arnold would meet the criteria.    One of these guys may be selected by the Giants has their GM.     The Mets seem on a different path.  They may want someone who was been a GM before or someone that is a little older to handle the New York press  core and the pressures that go with a high profile job in that city.

I would be happy with either of these candidates.   I think they could do a good job of building a winner in Baltimore.  If he Astros and Brewers fall out of the playoffs,  maybe  the O's interview process getting close to completion.

Sorry but I hope Elisa stays with the Stros.

Archived