Give Sisco another Chance

Legend_Of_Joey

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pro Sisco, I've been involved in numerous heated discussions concerning his throwing and other aspects of his defense.

But missing two tags is getting me worried.  A missed tag at home is a run and a missed out.  That's a lot more important then a baserunner moving from first to second.

More or less where I am.   I’ve been a supporter all along, and don’t think his CS record is very important in the scheme of things.    But other defensive failures and now a dopey baserunning play have me concerned.   Not so concerned that I want him sent down or consigned to playing 1-2 times a week.    But concerned enough keep an eye on things.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

More or less where I am.   I’ve been a supporter all along, and don’t think his CS record is very important in the scheme of things.    But other defensive failures and now a dopey baserunning play have me concerned.   Not so concerned that I want him sent down or consigned to playing 1-2 times a week.    But concerned enough keep an eye on things.    

I don't know what to think about the stolen base attempt.  I wasn't watching and can't fathom why anyone would think that was a good idea.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know what to think about the stolen base attempt.  I wasn't watching and can't fathom why anyone would think that was a good idea.

He said he saw Mancini getting a huge lead off 2B and decided that if Mancini took off, so would he.    

2 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

He has over 2k at bats in our system and has gotten on base at a .378 clip. 

Yay, he tore up the GCL, Short Season, A, A+, and had a good AA showing and what amounts to a fullish season at Norfolk (where he has had 1 good month.) 

Good for him. He wouldn't be the first player to tear up the low minors then struggle. 

And no, I'm not writing him off right now. But the things that were concerns in low ball (defensive) and upper minors (hitting) still appear. Even if he did change his approach and had success in Norfolk recently, there is still tweaking for the majors.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He said he saw Mancini getting a huge lead off 2B and decided that if Mancini took off, so would he.    

At the very least, get in a rundown so Mancini can break for home then...

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Runs well for a catcher?

Judging from what I remember from last year's sprint numbers not particularly. 

This year's data, SSS of course, has him at 24.9 ft/sc.  Mancini is at 27 as a point of comparison.

Davis is at 24.7 BTW.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2019&position=2&team=BAL&min=0

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yay, he tore up the GCL, Short Season, A, A+, and had a good AA showing and what amounts to a fullish season at Norfolk (where he has had 1 good month.) 

Good for him. He wouldn't be the first player to tear up the low minors then struggle. 

And no, I'm not writing him off right now. But the things that were concerns in low ball (defensive) and upper minors (hitting) still appear. Even if he did change his approach and had success in Norfolk recently, there is still tweaking for the majors.

Not sure how his hitting in the upper minors has been a concern. OBP of .352 at AAA and .396 at AA.

Either way I’m not arguing that he is a finished product, just that we shouldn’t be overacting to every bad play he has. Especially on a team that is going to lose 110+ games, and at any time may have a lineup with several guys batting sub .200.

3 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Not sure how his hitting in the upper minors has been a concern. OBP of .352 at AAA and .396 at AA.

Either way I’m not arguing that he is a finished product, just that we shouldn’t be overacting to every bad play he has. Especially on a team that is going to lose 110+ games, and at any time may have a lineup with several guys batting sub .200.

I don’t think we should overreact to every bad play he makes.    But like every other player, we should point them out when we see them.    Especially when they’re the deciding plays in a game.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we should overreact to every bad play he makes.    But like every other player, we should point them out when we see them.    Especially when they’re the deciding plays in a game.  

Point them out for sure. Let those mistakes lessen your view of his long term outlook though and that’s where you lose me.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Judging from what I remember from last year's sprint numbers not particularly. 

This year's data, SSS of course, has him at 24.9 ft/sc.  Mancini is at 27 as a point of comparison.

Davis is at 24.7 BTW.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard?year=2019&position=2&team=BAL&min=0

Slimmer, leaner Davis.

2 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Point them out for sure. Let those mistakes lessen your view of his long term outlook though and that’s where you lose me.

Well, personally I’ve said nothing like that.    But certainly I’d like to see him make fewer of these types of mistakes as the season progresses.    

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, personally I’ve said nothing like that.    But certainly I’d like to see him make fewer of these types of mistakes as the season progresses.    

If he's up here for the remainder of the year, getting a substantial share of the playing time, and still making a similar number of bad plays on a rate basis, then yes I agree we should be concerned.  Perhaps we are all on the same page, but I think what @El_Duderino is saying and I agree with is that we should be careful not to overweight what may be a one-off (or two-off) thing.