Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

tntoriole

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Really? Like what? Seriously, I have no idea what he does other than sort of organization odd jobs that don't seem to lead anywhere, nor seem tied to any larger mission. 

I wasn't being complimentary.

But to give you a real answer , we do know that he has been involved in contract negotiations.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

There’s an echo chamber on here about Brady Anderson ... I don’t think any of it’s warranted. I’m not sure where anyone gets it that Brady is the root of all evil and is ruining this franchise. 

Yeah, the franchise was already ruined. ?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks say things like Brady wanted Trumbo back.

I never recall seeing that.  I remember Brady being part of the negotiations to bring Trumbo back.

The issue I have with Brady isn't that he's incompetent, it is that I am worried he doesn't follow the chain of command and will back channel Elias.

I think he's both incompetent AND unqualified. A true double threat if there ever was one. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I think he's both incompetent AND unqualified. A true double threat if there ever was one. 

I'm not ruling out the idea that he's incompetent, I haven't seen enough evidence to say one way or another.

The Trumbo contract isn't a point in his favor.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not ruling out the idea that he's incompetent, I haven't seen enough evidence to say one way or another.

The Trumbo contract isn't a point in his favor.

There's no arguing that he's unqualified though. No college degree, no significant experience before his meteoric rise to Peter Angelos' lapdog, etc. 

5 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

There’s an echo chamber on here about Brady Anderson ... I don’t think any of it’s warranted. I’m not sure where anyone gets it that Brady is the root of all evil and is ruining this franchise. 

No one is suggesting Brady Anderson is the root of all evil and ruining the franchise.  No one.

Quite a few of us are suggesting that having a Vice President with no apparent executive qualifications or discernible superior in the recognized chain of command might be a valid source of concern.  Specifically to people who've spent 25 years or so cultivating a healthy skepticism when it comes to Orioles franchise management.  That skepticism is very, very much warranted.

I have 2 thoughts on what's going on with Brady.

First, it's clear Brady Anderson is a talented individual. You don't stick around for as long as he did with an evolving responsibility set if you're not talented. I'll never agree with anybody here that calls him incompetent. Listening to the man speak when he would be on 105.7/1090, it was very clear that not only was Brady a student of the game, but one that started evolving with it. I recall at least a few occasions where he was talking the talk re: sabermetrics. There are players (both former and current) that buy into it, and I think Brady is a sharp enough fellow to have the business smarts and the player smarts to put it together.

I think Brady is a well liked individual because he is certainly capable. I don't take what Elias said about Brady lightly. It wasn't just a one off sentence that provided cover for him. No, it was a slew of sentences praising the capability of him.

Now, to that end...let's look at this from an ownership perspective. Guys like Duquette, Rajsich and Graham...not exactly household names for Orioles fans young and old. However, players like Ripken, Robinson, Palmer and, yes, Brady Anderson...these are all Baltimore household names. We've seen over the years that the club (generally speaking) takes care of its icons. So it's very possible that Elias *may* want to get his own guys (and let Anderson go), but ownership let Elias know how valued Anderson is as a former star for the O's who has put pretty much his entire life into the Orioles as a player and as an executive type. So, it's possible they told Elias to give Brady x number of months, to work out a possible role, but if at the end of that time period it's not working out and/or the role/responsibilities isn't in line with what Elias and Brady want...then to have a proper sendoff instead of letting him go prior to the holidays.

So, yeah. I like Anderson a lot. I also want Elias to hire and run the organization as he deems fit. If we're looking at how things are going now: Duquette gone, Showalter gone, Rajsich gone, Graham gone, Elias hired, Mejdal hired on and new job postings around expanding the analytics department...we're seeing true movement that we really haven't seen before. Yes, Anderson is left, but if we're going to bugaboo the organization/Elias because Anderson is still around...then you're not paying attention and/or you have some form of Angelos PTSD.

I have all the faith in the world of Elias and the Angelos sons are starting to gain my respect, too. And if, say, come April Anderson is still around...maybe people should just accept the fact that Anderson is perhaps a valuable asset regardless of the regime in office.

Fin.

6 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Not the root of all evil, not ruining the franchise.  But if Buck Showalter can get canned, then so can Brady Anderson, because he sure as heck is not as valuable as Buck was. 

52 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I have 2 thoughts on what's going on with Brady.

First, it's clear Brady Anderson is a talented individual. You don't stick around for as long as he did with an evolving responsibility set if you're not talented. I'll never agree with anybody here that calls him incompetent. Listening to the man speak when he would be on 105.7/1090, it was very clear that not only was Brady a student of the game, but one that started evolving with it. I recall at least a few occasions where he was talking the talk re: sabermetrics. There are players (both former and current) that buy into it, and I think Brady is a sharp enough fellow to have the business smarts and the player smarts to put it together.

I think Brady is a well liked individual because he is certainly capable. I don't take what Elias said about Brady lightly. It wasn't just a one off sentence that provided cover for him. No, it was a slew of sentences praising the capability of him.

Now, to that end...let's look at this from an ownership perspective. Guys like Duquette, Rajsich and Graham...not exactly household names for Orioles fans young and old. However, players like Ripken, Robinson, Palmer and, yes, Brady Anderson...these are all Baltimore household names. We've seen over the years that the club (generally speaking) takes care of its icons. So it's very possible that Elias *may* want to get his own guys (and let Anderson go), but ownership let Elias know how valued Anderson is as a former star for the O's who has put pretty much his entire life into the Orioles as a player and as an executive type. So, it's possible they told Elias to give Brady x number of months, to work out a possible role, but if at the end of that time period it's not working out and/or the role/responsibilities isn't in line with what Elias and Brady want...then to have a proper sendoff instead of letting him go prior to the holidays.

So, yeah. I like Anderson a lot. I also want Elias to hire and run the organization as he deems fit. If we're looking at how things are going now: Duquette gone, Showalter gone, Rajsich gone, Graham gone, Elias hired, Mejdal hired on and new job postings around expanding the analytics department...we're seeing true movement that we really haven't seen before. Yes, Anderson is left, but if we're going to bugaboo the organization/Elias because Anderson is still around...then you're not paying attention and/or you have some form of Angelos PTSD.

I have all the faith in the world of Elias and the Angelos sons are starting to gain my respect, too. And if, say, come April Anderson is still around...maybe people should just accept the fact that Anderson is perhaps a valuable asset regardless of the regime in office.

Fin.

I certainly have Angelos PTSD.  Anyone who doesn't hasn't been paying attention.

Archived