Where would Richie Martin fit on the O's top 30?

wildcard

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Not near a good a player as his kid brother, Thunder.   And really, his older brother, Usain, was the fastest of the three, but couldn’t hit, so he just kept on running. 

Usain was definitely an 80 runner.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin is the A's #12 prospect.   You can read about him here:   http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=oak

I have Martin at #7 on the my O's top 30 prospect list.   How could Elias not select him if he falls in the O's Top 10?

He’d be right around Cadyn Grenier  for me. He’s not even remotely close to the Orioles top 10. I like Grenier’s chances to be a starting SS better than Martin, but Martin is closer to the bigs.

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He’d be right around Cadyn Grenier  for me. He’s not even remotely close to the Orioles top 10. I like Grenier’s chances to be a starting SS better than Martin, but Martin is closer to the bigs.

Martin (picked 20 overall)) was drafted higher than Grenier (37) barely.    Martin this past year has showed progress with the bat.  Grenier has not done that with wood bats in limited at bats.   They seem pretty close in defense.  Martins bat has to rank higher than Grenier's at this point.

Basically mlb pipeline has ranked  Martin at 12 for the A's.  The A's system is ranked higher than the O's system.  So Martin would be moving to a low ranked system if the O's take him.  Logically he should rank higher than 12 in the O's system under mlb pipeline's methodology of ranking.  Greiner in ranked 9th in the O's system according to mlb pipeline.   Martin should rank slightly higher in the O's system  than Griener at this point because of the progress he has shown with the bat.  That is why I said 7 for Martin.

That is not necessary true in Tony/Luke system.  Pipeline and the Tony/Luke use different methodologies to rank prospects.

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Interesting.  The A's have him as #12 in their farm system

Believe it or not, the A's are not responsible for publishing the top 30 list on milb.com.

The only thing we know for sure about how the A's feel about Martin, is they did not feel he was worth putting on their 40 man roster. 

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

A's rate him a 50 overall now 

Fangraphs rates Martin as a 35+.   The Orioles have 32 players rated 40 or better including DJ Snelten who I honestly never even heard of before.   

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin (picked 20 overall)) was drafted higher than Grenier (37) barely.    Martin this past year has showed progress with the bat.  Grenier has not done that with wood bats in limited at bats.   They seem pretty close in defense.  Martins bat has to rank higher than Grenier's at this point.

Basically mlb pipeline has ranked  Martin at 12 for the A's.  The A's system is ranked higher than the O's system.  So Martin would be moving to a low ranked system if the O's take him.  Logically he should rank higher than 12 in the O's system under mlb pipeline's methodology of ranking.  Greiner in ranked 9th in the O's system according to mlb pipeline.   Martin should rank slightly higher in the O's system  than Griener at this point because of the progress he has shown with the bat.  That is why I said 7 for Martin.

That is not necessary true in Tony/Luke system.  Pipeline and the Tony/Luke use different methodologies to rank prospects.

My methodology is simple, I watch players play and try to explain their statistical performance through the lens of their physical tools and skills. I then use that understanding to attempt to project a reasonable range of outcomes at the major league level at maturity. Then adjust accordingly based on risk. 

Rule 5 groupthink is a thing, last year everyone was going on about Cashow and Demeritte, neither was taken or made the majors when unselected. 

This year it’s Martin and Ferrell on everyone’s tongue. They are both solid options but they aren’t on the top of my list. 

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

My methodology is simple, I watch players play and try to explain their statistical performance through the lens of their physical tools and skills. I then use that understanding to attempt to project a reasonable range of outcomes at the major league level at maturity. Then adjust accordingly based on risk. 

Rule 5 groupthink is a thing, last year everyone was going on about Cashow and Demeritte, neither was taken or made the majors when unselected. 

This year it’s Martin and Ferrell on everyone’s tongue. They are both solid options but they aren’t on the top of my list. 

How are the kids?

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Have any non Oriole sites praised the abilities and "ready for stardom certainties" of Martin Cervenka this year?  ?

44 minutes ago, POR said:

Fangraphs rates Martin as a 35+.   The Orioles have 32 players rated 40 or better including DJ Snelten who I honestly never even heard of before.   

Fangraph’s methodology is quite distinct and I don’t always agree, but it’s better than MLB pipeline’s name value buzz rankings.

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Have any non Oriole sites praised the abilities and "ready for stardom" "certainties" of Martin Cervenka this year?  ?

No, he’s not near my top 30 Rule 5 guys, there are two catchers I like better available, but Cervenka is a late bloomer type so you never know. Actually there are no Orioles on my list, Tate would have been top 5 easily if unprotected.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

How are the kids?

Great, was just up all night with the two new ones, about to catch some zzzz.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Fangraph’s methodology is quite distinct and I don’t always agree, but it’s better than MLB pipeline’s name value buzz rankings.

No, he’s not near my top 30 Rule 5 guys, there are two catchers I like better available, but Cervenka is a late bloomer type so you never know. Actually there are no Orioles on my list, Tate would have been top 5 easily if unprotected.

Great, was just up all night with the two new ones, about to catch some zzzz.

Righties or lefties?  Any LOOGY possibilities?

Archived