O's trade international bonus pool money for SS Drew Jackson

interloper

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They are considering killing the shift, which would address something you cited as a problem.

Personally I consider a strike out more entertaining than a weak ground ball or lazy fly ball.

Are they?  What a bunch of rubes.  Instead of drafting a few guys with the Stanford Swing, they're going to try to implement an unwieldy and 140-years-of-precedent busting monstrosity of a rules change.  They hate rules changes, but now are considering telling you where you can stand on the field for the first time in the history of the sport.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Are they?  What a bunch of rubes.  Instead of drafting a few guys with the Stanford Swing, they're going to try to implement an unwieldy and 140-years-of-precedent busting monstrosity of a rules change.  They hate rules changes, but now are considering telling you where you can stand on the field for the first time in the history of the sport.

I doubt they go through with it anytime soon.   I put a poll up here and more than 80% were against it.   I’d bet that’s pretty reflective of the baseball fan population.   Plus, BABIP hasn’t really changed in the shift era.     As Jeff Sullivan said, this is a solution looking for a problem.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I doubt they go through with it anytime soon.   I put a poll up here and more than 80% were against it.   I’d bet that’s pretty reflective of the baseball fan population.   Plus, BABIP hasn’t really changed in the shift era.     As Jeff Sullivan said, this is a solution looking for a problem.  

I don't trust the current commissioner to do what is smart or what the fans' want.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't trust the current commissioner to do what is smart or what the fans' want.

Honestly, I’d rather see them go to four strikes than stop the shifting.  The prevalence of strikeouts is a far bigger issue.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I’d rather see them go to four strikes than stop the shifting.  The prevalence of strikeouts is a far bigger issue.

Wouldn't it be easier to deaden the ball?

When all those launch angled pull fly balls stop at the warning track those strike out won't be worth it.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know what I find more boring than strikeouts?

Walks.

I think the walk rate would spike.

And, if you want to induce batters to put the ball in play, wouldn't fewer strikes make more sense than more strikes?  4 Strikes just gives them one more hittable, but not perfectly hittable, pitch to look at.

Just now, NCRaven said:

And, if you want to induce batters to put the ball in play, wouldn't fewer strikes make more sense than more strikes?  4 Strikes just gives them one more hittable, but not perfectly hittable, pitch to look at.

Part of the reason I want robo umps is so they can tweak the strike zone every spring training.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If this is true (and I don't doubt it at all), why do they shift?

Here’s my guess: shifting does work on certain hitters.    But teams have, in fact, reacted by using those types of hitters less.   So, it ends up being a wash.  I’d have to spend a lot of time researching that to confirm that.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pitchers would be throwing so many more pitches.  I also think this would ruin the game. 

I think  moving fences back on smaller stadiums would help the game. It would lead to less pull hitters and you would need faster outfielders. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Part of the reason I want robo umps is so they can tweak the strike zone every spring training.

If they forced Hernandez, Buckner and West to retire, the quality of umpiring would go up tremendously without automation!

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s my guess: shifting does work on certain hitters.    But teams have, in fact, reacted by using those types of hitters less.   So, it ends up being a wash.  I’d have to spend a lot of time researching that to confirm that.

Maybe slower fielders as position players have gotten bigger.  

Archived