Will the Orioles be better in 2019 than 2018?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On 12/16/2018 at 2:09 PM, esmd said:

As historically bad as they were it would be hard not to be better.  We'll see.

They weren't even the worst team in franchise history.  That would be the 1939 team.  Finished 43-111 for a .279 winning percentage.  Last years team had a .290 winning percentage.   Might as well go for the record. 

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

They weren't even the worst team in franchise history.  That would be the 1939 team.  Finished 43-111 for a .279 winning percentage.  Last years team had a .290 winning percentage.   Might as well go for the record. 

That was a team from St. Louis.  That's not part of the Orioles.  I don't care what anybody says.  The AA-NL team from 1882-1899?  Yep, Orioles.  The 1901-02 AL team that was replaced by the Yanks? Orioles.  St. Louis Browns... they belong to St. Louis.  Ain't no Harlond Clifts and George Sislers in Baltimore any more than Andre Dawson is a Nat.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That was a team from St. Louis.  That's not part of the Orioles.  I don't care what anybody says.  The AA-NL team from 1882-1899?  Yep, Orioles.  The 1901-02 AL team that was replaced by the Yanks? Orioles.  St. Louis Browns... they belong to St. Louis.  Ain't no Harlond Clifts and George Sislers in Baltimore any more than Andre Dawson is a Nat.

That 1882 to 1899 team had nothing to do with the current Orioles.  The current team spent 1 year in Milwaukee and 53 years in St Louis.  You can pretend they didn't but it doesn't make it true. 

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

That 1882 to 1899 team had nothing to do with the current Orioles.  The current team spent 1 year in Milwaukee and 53 years in St Louis.  You can pretend they didn't but it doesn't make it true. 

So do you consider George Sisler to be one of the greatest Orioles?   I don’t, because he never was one. For me, when I speak of “team records,” etc. I’m starting in 1954.    I completely understand that technically it’s the same franchise that used to be the St. Louis Browns, but I really have no interest in what happened before they were the Orioles.    On the other hand, I don’t consider the pre-1954 versions of the Orioles to be the same team, either.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

o you consider George Sisler to be one of the greatest Orioles?   I don’t, because he never was one. For me, when I speak of “team records,” etc. I’m starting in 1954.    I completely understand that technically it’s the same franchise that used to be the St. Louis Browns, but I

No player on the Orioles before I was born means anything to me. I became a fan in 1972.  I couldn't care less about Frank Robinson other than as a manager.  And Luis Aparcio and Jim Gentile mean as much to me as Orioles as George Sisler does. 

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

No player on the Orioles before I was born means anything to me. I became a fan in 1972.  I couldn't care less about Frank Robinson other than as a manager.  And Luis Aparcio and Jim Gentile mean as much to me as Orioles as George Sisler does. 

1972?   You missed out on a lot of great teams!

Yeah, I don’t care much about the players who were O’s before I became a fan either.    But I’d still consider them when compiling a list of the greatest Orioles.    I remember that one year the O’s named their all-time top 25 players and gave away a poster showing them all.    There weren’t many players from before my time, but I remember Gus Triandos was one of them.  

6 minutes ago, weams said:

The worst post ever. 

Because I don't know Frank as a player I should still care about him because he played part of his career with the Orioles?  He played longer for the Reds.  That is why that whole weakening of the Hall of Fame is a joke.  In 30 years no one is going to be upset that Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame.  Does anyone it bother anyone that Phil Rizzutto is in the Hall of Fame?  No because he played before most of us were born. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anti-intellectual, anti-appreciative, ego-centric and just downright dumb.  I can't imagine just not caring about anything Orioles related when I became a fan in the late 80s.  

Frank Robinson has been personally kind to me. And Frank did not have that reputation. In fact, I was going to write him a note this holiday to thank him for all he has meant to me and my family. JustD sat beside him on at the Anniversary luncheon.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1972?   You missed out on a lot of great teams!

Yeah, I don’t care much about the players who were O’s before I became a fan either.    But I’d still consider them when compiling a list of the greatest Orioles.    I remember that one year the O’s named their all-time top 25 players and gave away a poster showing them all.    There weren’t many players from before my time, but I remember Gus Triandos was one of them.  

Yeah Gus Triandos means nothing to me other than a name.  I did watch the 1970 World Series on youtube.  I would say Frank deserves a statue.  But I don't have  any sentiment  attached to him as a player.  I do have sentiment attached to him as the manager of the 1989 team.   

Just now, atomic said:

Because I don't know Frank as a player I should still care about him because he played part of his career with the Orioles?  He played longer for the Reds.  That is why that whole weakening of the Hall of Fame is a joke.  In 30 years no one is going to be upset that Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame.  Does anyone it bother anyone that Phil Rizzutto is in the Hall of Fame?  No because he played before most of us were born. 

Frank has been part of the Orioles and Nationals family and a strong voice in baseball for his whole life. A great player. One of the best.  And a proud member of the Hall of Fame. I appreciated his efforts on behalf of the Orioles fan while attending Cal's induction. 

Archived