Adam Jones to Queens?

weams

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Never would have guessed that.  But I agree, Baines had the OBP skills to make him a good DH for years.  Jones won't ever be looked at as a DH option.

Jones and Baines were very close in plate appearances through age 32, but Jones walked 250 fewer times so that’s 250 extra at bats in which to get his 4 extra hits.   Baines had a 121 OPS+ through age 32, Jones 108.    So, there’s really no doubt Baines was the better hitter through age 32 despite Jones’ slight advantage in hits.    And very few hitters age as gracefully as Baines did.    One of the sweetest, most effortless swings I ever saw.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Jones and Baines were very close in plate appearances through age 32, but Jones walked 250 fewer times so that’s 250 extra at bats in which to get his 4 extra hits.   Baines had a 121 OPS+ through age 32, Jones 108.    So, there’s really no doubt Baines was the better hitter through age 32 despite Jones’ slight advantage in hits.    And very few hitters age as gracefully as Baines did.    One of the sweetest, most effortless swings I ever saw.

Yeah, he was a joy to watch.  A quick look at his and you can argue that he actually got better in the 2nd half of his career (I looked at 1980-1991 and then 1992-2001).  .809 OPS to .840.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, he was a joy to watch.  A quick look at his and you can argue that he actually got better in the 2nd half of his career (I looked at 1980-1991 and then 1992-2001).  .809 OPS to .840.  

His second half was in a better hitting era.   Still, 121 OPS+ up through ‘91, 121 OPS+ from ‘92 on.   He certainly didn’t go downhill.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, atomic said:

I don't know what world you live in but 67 wins is a lot better than 47 wins.  And the Reds were a lot better after they fired their manager.  47 wins is pathetic.  The team was so bad last year most everyone on this board stop watching them.  Really the team the Orioles closed the season with wouldn't have been a champion I'm AAA.   

And the Mets had 77 wins. They are closer to the Astros than the Orioles.  

A 77 win team with a bad farm system is close to the Astros? And you question "what world I live in"?

My point, the Mets and Reds aren't that good nor are they that close to a winner. They shouldn't be trading the future for minimal gain 

The Orioles have found that out the hard way and have decided to rebuild. Something the Mets and Reds should be doing.

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

A 77 win team with a bad farm system is close to the Astros? And you question "what world I live in"?

My point, the Mets and Reds aren't that good nor are they that close to a winner. They shouldn't be trading the future for minimal gain 

The Orioles have found that out the hard way and have decided to rebuild. Something the Mets and Reds should be doing.

You obviously failed basic math. 77 wins is closer to 103 wins than 47 wins.  

29 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

You obviously failed basic comprehension. I told you my reasoning. 

If your looking for an arguement...move on. 

The Atletics went from 75 wins to 97 wins this last season. Winning 47 games is not a plan.  It caused the manager, all the coaches,almost the  entire front office, and the scouting director to all lose their jobs.  No one should be following the Orioles plan of infighting, mismanagement and indecision. 

The Orioles are a total disaster at this point.  Hopefully the new team can turn things around but to act like it is some well planned decision to go down this path is far from the truth

Archived