Front Page - Taking Inventory

ScGO's

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I see this working out more as an attachment with a veteran in order to up the return.  

For example, say Trumbo shows he's healthy and is somewhere between .750-850 with some HR pop before the deadline.  We swing him to another team with a prospect that ME is "meh" on but still has some prospect clout (remember all the old O's brass is moving to other positions of influence and could be higher on our prospects than ME is). This player could be a Sisco or a Wells or even a Mountcastle: all guesses, bc I still don't know what ME will covet in our system.  This might help us bring back the elite prospects our system is lacking at the top.  Overall, I think this lists shows that our depth is fairly solid, we just lack the cream at the top.

I think Elias would be happy to get the salary relief and roster spot cleared.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, wildcard said:

4)  I don't think you are giving Hess his due at #31.   His 2nd half of a 3.81 ERA, 10 starts, more innings pitched than hits and a 1.25 WHIP.   IMO he enters 2019 with a rotation spot.  Its his to lose.

Out of those 10 starts though 6 of them were 5.2 IP or less. His stats going thru the lineup are strange also. He's a better pitcher going thru the lineup the 2nd time than the 1st time. I think they end up with some combination of Hess, Ramirez, Yacabonis, Castro and whoever else as opening pitchers/pitching innings 3-7

57 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Out of those 10 starts though 6 of them were 5.2 IP or less. His stats going thru the lineup are strange also. He's a better pitcher going thru the lineup the 2nd time than the 1st time. I think they end up with some combination of Hess, Ramirez, Yacabonis, Castro and whoever else as opening pitchers/pitching innings 3-7

Hey, we are talking about a 4th starter of a 2018 team with terrible defense and offense.   I will take what Hess did last year in the 2nd half for 30 starts next season and love it.

1 hour ago, terphoopsfan said:

David was much better than Dylan Bundy for the Os. Last year. 

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hey, we are talking about a 4th starter of a 2018 team with terrible defense and offense.   I will take what Hess did last year in the 2nd half for 30 starts next season and love it.

I am hopeful that Hess will do that, but honestly, not optimistic that he will.   But he could be a serviceable back end guy.   

28 minutes ago, weams said:

David was much better than Dylan Bundy for the Os. Last year. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Think about this. Dylan is now Brian Matusz.

First of all, I wouldn’t say Hess was “much” better than Bundy, if at all.   His ERA was almost a run lower than his FIP (4.88 to 5.80), while Bundy’s ERA was higher than his FIP (5.45 to 5.17).     He pitched fewer innings per start than Bundy.   I think Hess was carefully managed and his ERA wouldn’t necessarily have held up if he’d been used the way Bundy was.

Second, I’m nowhere near ready to put Bundy in the Matusz category. He had a tough year, but nothing like the performance Matusz had in 2011.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I wouldn’t say Hess was “much” better than Bundy, if at all.   His ERA was almost a run lower than his FIP (4.88 to 5.80), while Bundy’s ERA was higher than his FIP (5.45 to 5.17).     He pitched fewer innings per start than Bundy.   I think Hess was carefully managed and his ERA wouldn’t necessarily have held up if he’d been used the way Bundy was.

Second, I’m nowhere near ready to put Bundy in the Matusz category. He had a tough year, but nothing like the performance Matusz had in 2011.

Certainly a 2012 season. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Think about this. Dylan is now Brian Matusz.

Weams, for the new year, I ask you to have a cup of cheer.  You have become quite dark.  Not in the....realistically we are going to be bad for awhile, but more along the Eeyore, "We'll never make it" kinda way.  I mean, sure you're probably right, but God that is so...heavy.

So, lighten up and have a cup of cheer.  The only real similarities between Matusz and Bundy is both were once talked about as TOR type pitchers.  Bundy was bad last year, but Matusz, was closer to Chris Davis, ie, historically bad.

Anyway, cheers, it's gonna be fine.  Trust me! ;) 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Certainly a 2012 season. 

Yeah, similar, except that Matusz got pulled from the rotation after 16 starts and came back as a reliever, while Bundy was left in the rotation all year and did worse as the season progressed.    As a starter, Matusz had a 5.42 ERA that year, a WHIP of 1.71 and K/9 of 6.6.    Bundy had a similar ERA (5.45) but a better WHIP (1.41) and K/9 (9.2).    Of course, Matusz did a better job of keeping the ball in the ballpark (1.5 HR/9 to 2.1).

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Weams, for the new year, I ask you to have a cup of cheer.  You have become quite dark.  Not in the....realistically we are going to be bad for awhile, but more along the Eeyore, "We'll never make it" kinda way.  I mean, sure you're probably right, but God that is so...heavy.

So, lighten up and have a cup of cheer.  The only real similarities between Matusz and Bundy is both were once talked about as TOR type pitchers.  Bundy was bad last year, but Matusz, was closer to Chris Davis, ie, historically bad.

Anyway, cheers, it's gonna be fine.  Trust me! ;) 

Oh. I'm cheerful. In a few years. My 12 through 14 guys are gone though and I'm not interested in retaining any of these folks left at all. It's the brave new world of Orioles baseball, and I am ready to fully embrace the Data Orioles of the future. 

FOAMRBBBAL10_c38832a6-425e-4948-91dd-ca5

Happy New Year though!

17 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Are you an anti-initials sort of guy or does the reference to the first person pronoun come off as egotistical?

I thought this thread was about you taking inventory.  It is confusing and Elias is only 5 letters and easy enough to spell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived