Next Hall of Famer

waroriole

Just now, Frobby said:

As ridiculous as Baines was, he probably had a better claim than Markakis.  He was, at least, a six-time all star.    That said, if Nick manages to amass 3,000 hits, he’ll get some consideration.   I’d say he has a 10-20% chance of getting to 3,000.     

I wasn't being serious.

The forces that put Baines in won't apply to Markakis.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yankees get guys in all the time, what's one more?  27 World Series titles, you're gonna have a lot of HoFers.  (Even though Mussina didn't get one, yay!)

Nope, not trying to be edgy.  It's like someone who tucks in a t-shirt and wears a braided leather belt, you can't trust that guy either.

18 players (soon to be 20), 4 managers.  Basta!   

Just now, TonySoprano said:

Mussina currently tracking at 81.6%, sure to lose some when the final number is announced. 
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!11134&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!ACeqm-knNxexBw8

Gonna be close!  

I can see it both ways.  I think there might be some people that don't want their ballot publicized that could swing votes for Bonds, Clemens, even Mussina because they don't want to deal with the backlash.  In the same vein, I hope someone doesn't vote for Rivera, doesn't make their ballot publicized and leaves Rivera off.  Just one.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gonna be close!  

I can see it both ways.  I think there might be some people that don't want their ballot publicized that could swing votes for Bonds, Clemens, even Mussina because they don't want to deal with the backlash.  In the same vein, I hope someone doesn't vote for Rivera, doesn't make their ballot publicized and leaves Rivera off.  Just one.

I'm betting on a blank ballot.

Didn't someone threaten to submit a blank ballot in retaliation for Baines getting voted in?

19 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

My guess is Mussina will have no logo on his cap.   As to Machado, if he ends up in Cooperstown, he will have played more years elsewhere than in Baltimore. 

Can't I have the dream Machado uses the opt-out after Year 2 or Year 3 of his next contract because it just doesn't gel for the White Sox or Phillies, and we're ready for a guy like him again by then?

Certainly when we start to get good again, we'll get to buy something expensive and shiny like the Astros Verlander.

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Can't I have the dream Machado uses the opt-out after Year 2 or Year 3 of his next contract because it just doesn't gel for the White Sox or Phillies, and we're ready for a guy like him again by then?

Certainly when we start to get good again, we'll get to buy something expensive and shiny like the Astros Verlander.

I'm expecting a 39 year old Machado to sign a one year deal with the Orioles to wrap up his career.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm betting on a blank ballot.

Didn't someone threaten to submit a blank ballot in retaliation for Baines getting voted in?

A writer for the Worcester Telegraph left his ballot blank as he said that saves are the “lowest-hanging fruit on the game’s statistical tree” (ha) but he decided not to mail it in. I’m not sure how much more of a passive protest you could put up than that, except maybe voting for Rivera but pressing very lightly with your pen. 

5 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

A writer for the Worcester Telegraph left his ballot blank as he said that saves are the “lowest-hanging fruit on the game’s statistical tree” (ha) but he decided not to mail it in. I’m not sure how much more of a passive protest you could put up than that, except maybe voting for Rivera but pressing very lightly with your pen. 

Yea, they should review his voting qualifications. 

Even if he's right about saves.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, they should review his voting qualifications. 

Even if he's right about saves.

Ah, update — his name is Bill Ballou (which is ironically like “ballot” but finished incorrectly), and he said after fellow writers appealed to him, he’s voting for Rivera... along with Manny Ramirez, Halladay, Clemens and Bonds. 

Some interesting choices, but... Halladay? Why not write in Thurman Munson while you’re at it. 

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/24/sports/baseball/greg-maddux-and-tony-la-russa-opt-to-have-no-logo-on-their-hall-of-fame-plaques.html

Notice they said "chose".  The Hall ultimately decides but the player does have input.

If Mussina chose the Yankees would the Hall overrule him?

Thats a good question, and right now, I suspect only Mussina knows the answer to.

Archived