Yolbert Sanchez (Cuban defector)

SilverRocket

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much is a ton?

I certainly wouldn't spend 4M worth of slots on the guy but 2?

I'd rather spend 2M on a player like Sanchez over picking up and dealing with rule V infielders.

Fair question. There's a price, but $2 million seems above that price for me.  This guy pretty much sums up my attitude...

5 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

I don't know. If the higher ups don't see the upside in this player, I don't see them spending 2M on him. When you can get a Richie Martin or Drew Jackson for $100,000 and they are all similar players it seems, then I can understand not spending 2M on Sanchez. 

I think Elias probably has an open mind. They are going to look at the guy's tape, they are going to talk to folks down in the Caribbean, and they are going to his workouts. If Elias is impressed enough, he'll sign the guy. I do think we have the upper hand obviously. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather spend 2M on the guy that doesn't have to be on the 40 over 100K for a guy that has to be on the 25 man.

Just depends on your evaluation of the player, I suppose.   Obviously not having to put the guy on the 40-man has value.    

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just depends on your evaluation of the player, I suppose.   Obviously not having to put the guy on the 40-man has value.    

Yeah, the Yankees just traded Shed Long for Josh Stowers. Stowers is for all intents and purposes at least a tier below Long as a prospect, but unlike Long doesn't need to be on the 40 man for awhile. 

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Yup. It's nothing more than a salary cap that ML puts on how much you spend in the international market. Any $ the O's spend there comes out of the O's bank account. So, if they don't spend internationally, their bank account has more left to spend in other places. 

Really, the international signing money is not a salary cap since a team can accumulate far more than the yearly allocation, as the Orioles did last year, for example.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Fair enough about the tinfoil hat if some highly rated guys come onto the market. I don't see this guy as that, based solely off of reading this thread. Given his age, I'd like to see at least a solid batting practice in his workout before I start dropping significant money in his lap. 

The age is the thing. I can bet more on athleticism with young guys. This guy isn't that young any more.

He is 21 for a few more months. That's not only young enough, there is time to mature and improve.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather spend 2M on the guy that doesn't have to be on the 40 over 100K for a guy that has to be on the 25 man.

For the 2019 Orioles, both options are appealing, I would think. And affordable. For a team challenging to contend, Rule 5 guys on the 25-man can create prevent them from winning as many games as they might be able to without being hamstrung by keeping them on the MLB squad. But for teams committed to tanking, keeping those Rule 5 players on the MLB roster is not nearly as problematic.

22 hours ago, ScGO's said:

He's going to be 23 so its advantageous to him to start playing this season.  I don't see him waiting till July unless he is outrageously lowballed by the O's.  I think 5 Mil gets it done.  Maybe even 4.  I'd like to keep it under 5 Mil so we could swoop up a couple other 6 figure guys before it resets in the summer.    

Not until March, 2020. He is 21 now. Unless you are implying that he is lying about his age.

13 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Really, the international signing money is not a salary cap since a team can accumulate far more than the yearly allocation, as the Orioles did last year, for example.

When they traded for that slot money, they traded for a higher salary cap for this year. That is all. They didn't get actual money. They only got the ability to spend more if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

When they traded for that slot money, they traded for a higher salary cap for this year. That is all. They didn't get actual money. They only got the ability to spend more if they wanted to.

I totally understand the concept. But it is not anything like a salary cap, since you can trade for the ability to spend more money.

3 hours ago, jtschrei said:

I don't know. If the higher ups don't see the upside in this player, I don't see them spending 2M on him. When you can get a Richie Martin or Drew Jackson for $100,000 and they are all similar players it seems, then I can understand not spending 2M on Sanchez. 

I think Elias probably has an open mind. They are going to look at the guy's tape, they are going to talk to folks down in the Caribbean, and they are going to his workouts. If Elias is impressed enough, he'll sign the guy. I do think we have the upper hand obviously. 

Plus if you look at Elisa's other comments comparing the 2011-12 Hou farm with our current one, it makes sense to have three guys to see who might develop further than expected. Except, mind you, he was talking top 100 (Altuve, Keuchel, Springer).

3 hours ago, jtschrei said:

I get your point but it seems a bit soda strawed. We got those 2 players this year, I don’t recall similar players being available in the same situation previously nor is there any way to know if there will be other years. Also we have no idea if either will be any good.

So I'm sure some will be really pumped about this post, but I've been thinking....

With posts of handshake agreements and maybe being a few years out, would it be in the best interest of Elias/Orioles to trade money to the White Sox?  I know we have lots of happy people about Zoellner, but are there players they have we might be interested in?

Miami found teams that would offer $$, so I'm sure other teams could do it.  If Sanchez wants to start this year, he and the WS have incentive to make a deal this round of money.  Obviously, I understand that people would prefer, actual international signings.  However, getting something beats nothing (if you wish to argue JZ is negative value,fine...not the point of this post...hold your anger!! haha). 

I'd still like to see a few international signings, but doubt we can get through the money without being wasteful.  How did people feel about the players the Marlins gave up for the Mesas?

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Not until March, 2020. He is 21 now. Unless you are implying that he is lying about his age.

My bad, I guess I misquoted.  I was under the impression that he was little older than that.

However, 22 is still better than 23 for start date, especially if he's starting in the minors.  I think it could be a factor to help drive his cost down at least a little bit

Archived