Brian Roberts

weams

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's super weird how many people don't like Roberts on this board. 

Well he has a number of strikes against him

1. PED user
  2. Injured himself
  3. Joined the Yankees

I don't particularly like or dislike him, I just disliked the fact that the O's gave him the extension.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's super weird how many people don't like Roberts on this board. 

Because he lied about his drug use, he self injured. And he drug the team down after a large contract. Much like Davis. We don;t know about the self injury with Davis, but he sure does not seem to be the workout warrior that he was in his earlier life. 

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well he has a number of strikes against him

1. PED user
  2. Injured himself
  3. Joined the Yankees

I don't particularly like or dislike him, I just disliked the fact that the O's gave him the extension.

Only #1 is a legitimate one. What he did to injure himself is something every ball player does at one point and it should not have injured him unless he had a freak susceptibility to a condition, which he unfortunately did. He joined the Yankees bc it was the only team who would offer him a lightning in a bottle type deal and he wanted to keep playing. He's not *a Yankee*. And that's a dumb reason to dislike any player much less an Oriole HoFer.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Only #1 is a legitimate one. What he did to injure himself is something every ball player does at one point and it should not have injured him unless he had a freak susceptibility to a condition, which he unfortunately did. He joined the Yankees bc it was the only team who would offer him a lightning in a bottle type deal and he wanted to keep playing. He's not *a Yankee*. And that's a dumb reason to dislike any player much less an Oriole HoFer.

Cindy Loves Brady was a Roberts fan if I can remember correctly. Wonder what ever happened to that lady? 

7 hours ago, interloper said:

While it is certainly true that concussions are viewed much differently than say 25 years ago, hitting yourself in the head hard enough to concuss yourself and impact two seasons is without question a legitimate beef, whether it was freak or not.  At a minimum it was every bit as poor a choice as PED.  And it was a choice he made.  We can each have different opinions as to how to judge them, but every player has not bashed their skull with a bat intentionally.  And very few to my memory have wrecked multiple years because of it.

We agree on the Yankee thing, but as an add on, I can see why anyone might add that to the list.

10 hours ago, interloper said:

Every player at one point in their career whacks themselves in the head with their bat?

Eh, no.

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Every player at one point in their career whacks themselves in the head with their bat?

Eh, no.

Every player does something dumb at some point. How many pitchers punch a wall and break their hand? The point is he didn't throw himself off a cliff, he reacted in the moment and tapped himself in the helmet pretty lightly if I recall. By all accounts, that should injure almost nobody. It's a helmet, after all, designed to protect the head.

People need to understand this was a freak thing that he is genetically predisposed to be susceptible to. It's extremely rare. And if it didn't happen by tapping himself in the helmet, it would have happened on a slide or something folks would agree was not his fault.

I will defend this guy until I die. It's pathetic that people think somehow the concussion thing is his fault. It's an unfortunate genetic condition. It's entirely separate from the steroid issue. But people want to see what they want to see, and they love a narrative. It's 2019, let's stop calling guys "fragile" due to legitimate medical conditions. Did he suffer injuries unrelated to concussions  due to steroid use? It's possible. And completely unproven and unprovable. What we DO know, is that his a) concussion syndrome is in no way related to steroid use and b) by no means should tapping yourself on the helmet injure you if you are not predisposed to this rare medical condition. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Every player does something dumb at some point. How many pitchers punch a wall and break their hand? The point is he didn't throw himself off a cliff, he reacted in the moment and tapped himself in the helmet pretty lightly if I recall. By all accounts, that should injure almost nobody. It's a helmet, after all, designed to protect the head.

I saw it live, and was shocked to hear (weeks after the fact) that it had caused Roberts to have a concussion.   I don’t know if I’d call it a “light tap,” but it’s not like he slammed the bat into his head, either.   It wasn’t like when Gus Frerotte slammed his head into a stadium wall on purpose.  There was much less force involved than, say, when Chris Davis breaks a bat over his knee.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw it live, and was shocked to hear (weeks after the fact) that it had caused Roberts to have a concussion.   I don’t know if I’d call it a “light tap,” but it’s not like he slammed the bat into his head, either.   It wasn’t like when Gus Frerotte slammed his head into a stadium wall on purpose.  There was much less force involved than, say, when Chris Davis breaks a bat over his knee.   

Exactly. 

Fan vitriol over this incident is absurd. Read an article about what the guy had to go through for the next couple years, have it happen again, and do it all over again. 

I know Tony has hinted at some dugout stuff and doesn't like the guy. He also has never elaborated on that over the years, so I can't relate to that experience. I know he did steroids. I know he "chose not to retire" (an absolutely absurd thing to expect from any player, much less feel ENTITLED to as a fan - gross - especially when we know every single team in baseball can afford Manny Machado, and his salary, in hindsight, was a drop in the bucket). No, he wasn't a clubhouse leader. But in my book he's a pretty good guy. I loved watching him on the field - no one messed with a pitcher's head like he did on the basepaths. I like his color commentary and hope he does more.

He's probably a complicated guy, like a lot of players, but he was a good Dark Ages Oriole (and Oriole Hall of Famer, thank you), he's been good to fans as far as I can tell, and he 100% does not deserve the disgusting fan-slop thrown his way the last 10 years. Get over it already. 

23 hours ago, interloper said:

"Every boy dreams of one day wearing pinstripes".  Completely unnecessary comment from - up to that point - Orioles lifer Brian Roberts.

Archived