Brian Roberts

weams

Just now, weams said:

If you only knew the hate mail and freak out's I've dealt with over the years. I LOVE YOU ALL. 

Weams, I generally respect you and what you do here. But you have a way of getting under people's skin and you know that you do it. If you would have some lengthier debates with folks on the board instead of firing off a few vague words here and there, it would go a long way. For years I've never understood why you deal in vagueries and snipes. 

I'm not freaking out, I'm just over it. I believe strongly that some fans wrongly hate on Brian Roberts for basically getting hurt, then whine about money that isn't theirs (and it's not even that much money), and then feel "wronged" somehow by the guy taking a one year deal with the Yankees. I just don't get it. What did this guy do to deserve the hate? No one hates Zach Britton for resigning with the Yankees and slamming the Orioles lack of analytics after he left. Why Roberts? 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 24fps said:

"Every boy dreams of one day wearing pinstripes".  Completely unnecessary comment from - up to that point - Orioles lifer Brian Roberts.

1 hour ago, weams said:

That was a really bad look after all the years that the Orioles had carried and paid him. 

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

No, THIS is a bad look. On you. You are an adult.

Roberts has said plenty of good things about your beloved Orioles. Don't worry. 

Not exactly what Roberts said, but close enough, I suppose.    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-longtime-oriole-brian-roberts-i-think-so-many-of-us-dream-of-putting-that-yankees-uniform-on-20140122-story,amp.html

Honestly, I couldn’t care less about that.    Every player says nice things about his new team to the media right after signing.   Tell the new fans what they want to hear.   So long as he didn’t trash the O’s after leaving, I’m cool with it.

I think we could do without taking shots at other posters for giving their opinions, even if we strongly disagree with them.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Weams, I generally respect you and what you do here. But you have a way of getting under people's skin and you know that you do it. If you would have some lengthier debates with folks on the board instead of firing off a few vague words here and there, it would go a long way. For years I've never understood why you deal in vagueries and snipes. 

I'm not freaking out, I'm just over it. I believe strongly that some fans wrongly hate on Brian Roberts for basically getting hurt, then whine about money that isn't theirs (and it's not even that much money), and then feel "wronged" somehow by the guy taking a one year deal with the Yankees. I just don't get it. What did this guy do to deserve the hate? No one hates Zach Britton for resigning with the Yankees and slamming the Orioles lack of analytics after he left. Why Roberts? 

I think that you have some merit in that take. I'm not about making folks listen to my internal dialogs. I am a person of few words and If you get my post, you are probably the intended target. And if you don't, you probably weren't. I love the Orioles, not the Yankees. I don't revere all things New York. I do like places other than Baltimore though. Including parts of New York. 

Mostly my BRob snipes are due to his holier than thou persona that covered a PED user . Really. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not exactly what Roberts said, but close enough, I suppose.    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-longtime-oriole-brian-roberts-i-think-so-many-of-us-dream-of-putting-that-yankees-uniform-on-20140122-story,amp.html

Honestly, I couldn’t care less about that.    Every player says nice things about his new team to the media right after signing.   Tell the new fans what they want to hear.   So long as he didn’t trash the O’s after leaving, I’m cool with it.

I think we could do without taking shots at other posters for giving their opinions, even if we strongly disagree with them.

If Brian had only done the Pinstripes I'd probably still be team Roberts. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I think that you have some merit in that take. I'm not about making folks listen to my internal dialogs. I am a person of few words and If you get my post, you are probably the intended target. And if you don;t, you probably weren't. I love the Orioles, not the Yankees. I don't revere all things New York. I do like places other than Baltimore though. Including parts of New York. 

It's a cute way to post, but perhaps not the most effective way to keep the peace. Just my opinion. I know you're a good guy and I know you have world views I 100% agree with. You drive me absolutely insane sometimes the way you post, though. 

I'm not asking you to revere NY. I'm not the biggest fan of the place myself. I'm asking you to consider that a throwaway comment from a guy who just wanted to continue playing baseball is not a good or valid reason to dislike him. Not once did Roberts talk down on this city or this organization. Plenty of other ex-Orioles have. It was a rocky road with the guy while he was here, granted, but I think with a little more introspection on the subject, we'll find that the at times outright vitriol thrown at the guy is unwarranted. And unbecoming of us as fans, to be frank. 

That's the last I'll say on it. Apologies again for the derail. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

No, THIS is a bad look. On you. You are an adult.

Don't worry. 

It's a cute way to post, but perhaps not the most effective way to keep the peace. 

you need to reevaluate some things in your adult life. 

I've never understood why you deal in vagueries and snipes. 

I'm not freaking out

Every player does something dumb at some point. 

I will defend this guy until I die. 

He's probably a complicated guy

HzwA.gif

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Every player does something dumb at some point. How many pitchers punch a wall and break their hand? The point is he didn't throw himself off a cliff, he reacted in the moment and tapped himself in the helmet pretty lightly if I recall. By all accounts, that should injure almost nobody. It's a helmet, after all, designed to protect the head.

People need to understand this was a freak thing that he is genetically predisposed to be susceptible to. It's extremely rare. And if it didn't happen by tapping himself in the helmet, it would have happened on a slide or something folks would agree was not his fault.

I will defend this guy until I die. It's pathetic that people think somehow the concussion thing is his fault. It's an unfortunate genetic condition. It's entirely separate from the steroid issue. But people want to see what they want to see, and they love a narrative. It's 2019, let's stop calling guys "fragile" due to legitimate medical conditions. Did he suffer injuries unrelated to concussions  due to steroid use? It's possible. And completely unproven and unprovable. What we DO know, is that his a) concussion syndrome is in no way related to steroid use and b) by no means should tapping yourself on the helmet injure you if you are not predisposed to this rare medical condition. 

Stop saying “tapping”. Roberts himself called it “whacking” and also “that he had done it a million times before “. 

I, too, remember seeing it live and it wasn’t lightly tapping. Medical opinions vary but cumulative trauma to the head is a factor. Was he susceptible? Maybe, but he also likely exacerbated a condition by repeatedly hitting himself in the head.

I think it’s pathetic to downvote someone simply for disagreeing with you,  but apparently your opinion is the one that matters.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/index/_/id/5651434

3 hours ago, weams said:

He lied about the PED use after being outed. I'd rather he have come clean. I'd have forgiven. 

I agree, but he did not.  And it was an equally poor choice to bash his skull.  Both self inflicted injuries.  I don't ban Roberts to the dustbin, but I wanted to push back on interlopers point above that his injury is something everyone does/did.  

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Omg you AND Mr. Upvote Sad Fan weams over here need to Get. Over. It. You are *adults*. Mad about *a baseball player liking what he does for a living*. It's GROSS. It's PATHETIC. You act as if being excited about joining the Yankees is tantamount to uttering a racial slur. "Not a good look"? Are you for real? 

It's baseball!

Roberts is right! Most people aren't from Maryland and don't have an inferiority complex with New York City. They mostly think it's just a pretty cool place with a good baseball team of players they liked growing up and playing little league! 

Orioles fans are so weird sometimes. It's embarrassing. 

Ehh...

It's an opinion.  Everyone is entitled to one.  Roberts, in going to the Yankees could have spoken differently.  He chose to use words that would sting fans.  Even if he spoke the truth.  Freedom of speech is so often misunderstood to mean one should speak.  

Roberts was a very good player on some really bad teams.  I'll put it this way, if the next 5-10 years were to produce 2 to 3 WS appearances or wins, he is a mere blip on the Orioles HOF list.  A bright but flawed light in a very dark time.

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Stop saying “tapping”. Roberts himself called it “whacking” and also “that he had done it a million times before “. 

I, too, remember seeing it live and it wasn’t lightly tapping. Medical opinions vary but cumulative trauma to the head is a factor. Was he susceptible? Maybe, but he also likely exacerbated a condition by repeatedly hitting himself in the head.

I think it’s pathetic to downvote someone simply for disagreeing with you,  but apparently your opinion is the one that matters.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/index/_/id/5651434

Fair, though still not a reason to be *angry* at a player. He didn't know it would eventually cause a concussion, nor did he know he was susceptible. It was a silly bad habit, of which we all have many. Not gonna act like it's something to hold against the guy's character, because it's obviously not. 

I would ask folks to consider how Tejada is thought of versus how Roberts is thought of. One guy admitted to using steroids, one did not. One guy gets dragged under the bus repeatedly by O's fans, one is mostly forgotten at this point. I find it weird. To me that says it's not about the steroids - it's mostly about the amount of time spent on the DL and the throw-away Yankee line. That's sad to me, that O's fans would think so poorly of a person simply for not being injured.

4 hours ago, weams said:

If you only knew the hate mail and freak outs I've dealt with over the years. I LOVE YOU ALL. 

I have my own spicy little PM collection.  Paltry compared to yours I'm sure, but nonetheless useful.  Everytime I start thinking again about getting a Twitter account I just go and re-read a couple and that cures me for at least a couple of months.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fair, though still not a reason to be *angry* at a player. He didn't know it would eventually cause a concussion, nor did he know he was susceptible. It was a silly bad habit, of which we all have many. Not gonna act like it's something to hold against the guy's character, because it's obviously not. 

I would ask folks to consider how Tejada is thought of versus how Roberts is thought of. One guy admitted to using steroids, one did not. One guy gets dragged under the bus repeatedly by O's fans, one is mostly forgotten at this point. I find it weird. To me that says it's not about the steroids - it's mostly about the amount of time spent on the DL and the throw-away Yankee line. That's sad to me, that O's fans would think so poorly of a person simply for not being injured.

I don’t think too badly of either one of them.    Obviously BRob was here much longer, and he was a home grown player.    I identify him as an Oriole and think that’s why he comes up more often on this site.   

As to Miggy, didn’t he essentially cop to using steroids?    He plead guilty to lying to Congress.   Of course, that was a couple of years after the Mitchell Report came out.  

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I have my own spicy little PM collection.  Paltry compared to yours I'm sure, but nonetheless useful.  Everytime I start thinking again about getting a Twitter account I just go and re-read a couple and that cures me for at least a couple of months.

Really?

You?

I don't average even one a year and I'm way more confrontational.

Archived