Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Interesting bit of trivia... Mariano Rivera has an almost identical ERA, career innings pitched total, hits allowed, and batters faced as Babe Ruth.

Of course Ruth was a starter in an era where he could complete 107 of his 147 starts, and the league ERA during his time as a pitcher ranged from 2.66 to 3.22.  There were only two seasons at the tail end of Rivera's career where the AL ERA dipped slightly below 4.00.  So Rivera's ERA+ was 205, Ruth's was 122.

Another piece of trivia...Babe stopped pitching from 1921 onward with the Yankees...except he pitched one game in 1930 at the end of the season against the Red Sox...both teams were out of any pennant race and Babe thought it would increase the attendance.  After nine years off the mound, he pitched a complete game, giving up 3 runs.  

The Babe...a freak of nature. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Another piece of trivia...Babe stopped pitching from 1921 onward with the Yankees...except he pitched one game in 1930 at the end of the season against the Red Sox...both teams were out of any pennant race and Babe thought it would increase the attendance.  After nine years off the mound, he pitched a complete game, giving up 3 runs.  

The Babe...a freak of nature. 

Maybe Chris Davis in 2019 after 7 years off the mound will pitch 3 innings of relief.

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Smartest guy in the locker room.  Just ask him.

These kinds of comments annoy me.   You don’t know the guy.    Here’s a small town guy who went back to his small town and coaches his local high school basketball team.  His best friend in the Yankee organization was the bullpen catcher.    I’m not saying the guy was perfect, but why judge a man you’ve never met so harshly?    

For anyone wanting to get a good sense of Mussina’s personality, try reading John Feinstein’s Living on the Black, about Mussina and Glavine late in their careers.    

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These kinds of comments annoy me.   You don’t know the guy.    Here’s a small town guy who went back to his small town and coaches his local high school basketball team.  His best friend in the Yankee organization was the bullpen catcher.    I’m not saying the guy was perfect, but why judge a man you’ve never met so harshly?    

For anyone wanting to get a good sense of Mussina’s personality, try reading John Feinstein’s Living on the Black, about Mussina and Glavine late in their careers.    

I think it was a legitimate comment.  There are a fair number of stories about Mike being very proud of his education.

There is room in his personality for multiple facets some laudable, others less so.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, foxfield said:

I am happy for Mussina. He was a great Oriole. He earned his HOF status, and will go in as a Yankee. I don't like that, but it is probably appropriate.

I am happy for the other three, as well. But I am puzzled about Mariano being the first to have a unanimous vote. But who is to be the idiot that says, "I am not voting for him?" The ones who voted against Cal Ripken Jr, or Ken Griffey Jr ?  They were idiots. But sure, a relief pitcher. It figures, and of course it's a Yankee. At least we can stop worrying about it.

Welcome to the Hall, Boys. Congratulations.

o

Nolan Reimold is the only player ever to hit his first career home run off of Mariano Rivera.

I was in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium when it happened. It was a moonshot over the centerfield wall. A Yankee fan sitting next to me said, "Who the hell was THAT?" O.o

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200905200.shtml

o

34 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Nolan Reimold is the only player ever to hit his first career home run off of Mariano Rivera.

I was in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium when it happened. It was a moonshot over the centerfield wall. A Yankee fan sitting next to me said, "Who the hell was THAT?" O.o

o

Good old Bob Andino, Jamie Walker. A lot of old names there I hadn’t thought of. The question I have is why was Mo in that game judging by the score.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:28 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Someone check in on @Tony-OH please.

Haha. I'm fine with it and hope he goes in as a Yankee. Heard him say he couldn't pick an organization. In my mind, you let him go in as the generic Yankee he should be remembered for. My Orioles HoFers all remember themselves as Orioles first and foremost. 

The Hall as become the Hall of very good instead of the elite at this point with Mussina and Baines going in this year. 

Honestly, being a HoFer has lost it's luster a bit for me so I could really care less if a guy who never won a CY Young award goes in or not. I prefer not to see his number retired alongside Brooks, Eddie, Cal, Frank, Palmer and Weaver.

Couple classic Mussina takes....Measuring Tape Mike?

Mussina used to insist the left-center-field fence at dinky Oriole Park at Camden Yards was closer to home plate than the sign on the outfield wall indicated. So one day, he walked it off with a tape measure, and lo and behold, it was 8 feet shorter than advertised.

Mussina's intelligence and wry sense of humor weren't always appreciated. He once walked through the Yankees' clubhouse before a game and saw two teammates playing a board game. Mussina looked at the board and said, "Perfect for you guys -- ages 8 and up."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25770720/doc-drive-edgar-lazy-eye-moose-measuring-tape

13 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Do you really think Mike Mussina cares about who he does/doesn't alienate? And I'm not saying that as a knock against him, it's just his personality. All of us "alienated" fans will be dead and buried in 50 years, but Mussina's bust will still be in the HOF regardless of what team he picks. 

Yes, I think he does care.   He’s been very careful with his comments since the first year he became eligible for the HOF.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

I remember that game. Another long HR by an O's youngster comes to mind (a game I was at) from Yankee Stadium. I think it was either in 2000 on a birthday trip with a friend of mine or Cal's final year, maybe even his last series there (I was at his last NY game). But Chris Richard crushed one into the deck in right field. To see a HR go over one's head and into a deck above you, waaaay up there, is something that's hard to forget. 

Edit: I went back to see Richard's minor league stats and late in his pro career, he spent four mostly full years in Durham with the Bulls, so I got to see him a lot. I'd forgotten how much of a slugger he was vs. those young pitchers when he was in his mid 30s. Sad he never caught on for long in the majors. I was a fan. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Didn’t vilify him.  Didn’t even say he was a bad guy.  Have met him, but can’t say I know him.

Archived