Congratulations, Moose!

TonySoprano

What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What cap will be on Mussina's Cooperstown plaque?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Sorry, but this post just irritates me.  Sometimes we need to put our Oriole fandom on hold, and just respect the sport of baseball.  Mariano was a no doubt about it 100% Hall of Famer.  Being snarky about it is uncalled for.  

I could care less about what team he played for, but it does bother me a bit that a relief pitcher was the first player to get 100% of the votes. That seems wrong to me. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I could care less about what team he played for, but it does bother me a bit that a relief pitcher was the first player to get 100% of the votes. That seems wrong to me. 

Your outrage is misdirected in my opinion.

It isn't wrong that he got 100%, what is wrong is that so many players before him didn't get 100%

Him getting 100% is a step in the right direction.

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't wrong that he got 100%, what is wrong is that so many players before him didn't get 100%

I agree.  I'm bothered that he's the first to get 100% because he's a reliever, but it's only because so many great players before didn't get 100%.  It's a step in the right direction, but only if there are others to follow that gain 100%.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  I'm bothered that he's the first to get 100% because he's a reliever, but it's only because so many great players before didn't get 100%.  It's a step in the right direction, but only if there are others to follow that gain 100%.  

Jeter will.

Trout will.

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its not his pick, he can provide the HOF with his desires, but the final choice is the HOF.

I think the animosity that Mussina feels, is towards Peter and not the Orioles. IMO

How much that is still there, will fuel his decision.

Why shouldn't it be the players choice which cap? 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree, but only because for me it's basically impossible for a reliever to provide enough career value to be considered among the greatest baseball players of all time. If I'm starting a team today and I can have say Andy Pettite for his whole career or Mariano Rivera for his, I'd take Pettite. I don't believe Pettite is Hall worthy.

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I disagree, but only because for me it's basically impossible for a reliever to provide enough career value to be considered among the greatest baseball players of all time. If I'm starting a team today and I can have say Andy Pettite for his whole career or Mariano Rivera for his, I'd take Pettite. I don't believe Pettite is Hall worthy.

I think that if you are qualified to get into the hall via the voters you are qualified to go in at 100%.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is the point I was making earlier.  It's odd that a reliever, even a Yankee is the first one to be elected unanimously.  But to be angry is to ask that someone does the same idiotic thing that a handful of people did to Cal, or Ken Griffey, Jr.  I can't work myself up into a sweat over asking for repetition of studpitidy and skullduggery.  

But it is ironic.

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Mo made every Yankee game an 8 inning game.  If they had the lead after 8 it was over.  I would take Mo 30 times over Andy P.  

14 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I would take Rivera.  Not too many closers who can do what he did for 5 years straight much less for an entire career.  Britton was only able to do it 3 years.  And Mariano is almost always pitching in close games.  A lot of games Petite lost (153 loses) and a lot of the games he won would have won by an inferior pitcher.  

Archived