Who is filling out the lineup?

wildcard

4 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

I agree. I do not expect Hyde to be micro managed.

Exactly.   The most influence might be if an organizational decision is made to, say, promote a prospect when someone gets hurt, there might be a tacit agreement that the kid will play most every day and not sit behind Trumbo.    So if Hyde puts him on the bench 3 straight games he might be questioned from above, hey, we brought this guy up to take a look at him while XXX was hurt, why is he buried on the bench?

Beyond that type of situation, I doubt Elias will have any interest at all in the lineup, nor any input.   I think the OP is really a reach.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Exactly.   The most influence might be if an organizational decision is made to, say, promote a prospect when someone gets hurt, there might be a tacit agreement that the kid will play most every day and not sit behind Trumbo.    So if Hyde puts him on the bench 3 straight games he might be questioned from above, hey, we brought this guy up to take a look at him while XXX was hurt, why is he buried on the bench?

Beyond that type of situation, I doubt Elias will have any interest at all in the lineup, nor any input.   I think the OP is really a reach.

I agree. I expect there to be a lot of dialogue between Hyde and the FO  whether Elias or Sig maybe somebody else. When guys come up from the minors I expect there to be a mutual understanding of what’s expected but at the end of the day when it it comes to the big league club day to day operations lineup in game decisions that’s all Hyde and while he will rely on data I hope he realize just has heavy if not more on his gut and in game feel. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

So in the perfect line-up Chris Davis is lead-off hitter? 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wouldn't think so, it doesn't appear to make sense to give a guy with a .220 OBP the most at bats, but then again I haven't really run the numbers.  Have you?  

What I do know is that the difference between any two semi-reasonable lineups is small enough to not be able to tell which will work out better.  If someone tells you any one lineup will definitely score more than another they have more confidence than knowledge.

Of course, if Buck had known Davis would have a .220 OBP (actually, .243 last year) he wouldn’t have experimented with batting him leadoff.    In his career to that point, Davis had a quite solid .328 OBP, and trying him at leadoff to begin the season, IMO, was Buck’s way of trying to get Davis off to a good start by forcing him to focus on getting on base rather than driving runners in — something he’d done with Jones and Machado at other times.    But it failed and Buck abandoned the experiment after 6 games.   I’ve never understood why people make such a big deal out of this.    I’ve got issues with how much Davis played once it was apparent that he was having an historically bad season, but the week-long leadoff experiment at the beginning of the year was just a case of an experiment not yielding the hoped for result.  

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what Elias and Sig are trying to bring to this organization. It's not micromanagement, it's better information.

Every manager for as long as the resources have existed gets advanced scouting information from his front office. That concept is not changing now, but the information itself should be much better than before. Whereas Buck may have been provided data showing that Chris Davis had historical success off of David Price, our hope is that the information going to Hyde is much more useful for good decision making. 

I don't for one second think they hired Hyde to be a puppet for the front office. I think they hired him because he understands the way these people see the game and will enthusiastically implement a shared vision of how to manage based on that information. In that sense, it's absolutely true that Hyde will take information from the front office to build lineup cards and substitution plans. However, that doesn't mean he has any less authority or input than other successful managers. It just raises the bar for his input.

I think Elias said that Hyde would be an extension of the front office.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias said that Hyde would be an extension of the front office.

That's the point. They see things the same way. Not that he's just a pass through puppet for management. I mean, maybe it turns out that way, but GM's regularly bring in their own guys for this exact reason. 

Would Albert Einstein have hired Gomer Pyle as his understudy? Of course not. He'd have targeted someone with a similar pedigree.

5 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Im pretty sure Elias said Brady is a valuable member of the team. Or something along those lines. 

He also said that the Orioles are a better team with a productive Chris Davis in the middle of the lineup.  I think the truth is that a lot of things still remain to be determined.

At least I hope so...

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

This is my thinking, Hyde is already going to be in the loop to know that's what ME wants, and probably had input on the decision. It's not like he'll be burying someone on the bench like Buck sometimes did, defying DD. The goal seems to be getting everyone rowing in the same direction.

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m pretty sure that just means Brady is still under contract with the Orioles.

Does Brady sit in-between Hyde and the bench coach during games? I have to assume Brady will be given full briefings on all roster decisions and say on lineup cards. 

Archived