Adam Jones returning? Unlikely, but would it be bad?

MemorialStadKid

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

No baseball role... and probably for more money than he is worth to us. But I could see him as a stellar clubhouse leader. Better than Chris Davis as he was talking to Roch earlier this week. But Adam's ship has sadly sailed for us.

I don't doubt Adam's leadership over the course of his career, specifically the 2012-2016 period.  However, and I realize I'm probably being overly salty, but last season kind of killed any good will I had for most anybody on the team.  What did his leadership amount to last season?  What did it solve and what did it improve?  I know I can't lay everything at the feet of Adam Jones because the problems were sure deeper than him.  But, if he was the clubhouse leader that we and many others claim that he was, he has to take some of the blame for what happened here last season, and if we're cleaning house and trying to block it from our memory, then I don't see how bringing him back makes any sense.  It's going to hurt when he does go somewhere else, I fully acknowledge and admit it.  But, the ship has sailed, and we shouldn't look back.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rickard and Yaz both have the arm to play RF.   Neither has the bat to be an everyday RFer.  Jones is a long shot because he should get a better offer and the 10/5 rights are something the O's will not like.   The union may  get involved on whether they would want Jones to waive those rights.      Some other RFer might come into play like Granderson (depending on what the O's judge he has left), or Gentry.  Its hard to get FAs to sign up for 100 losses.  

Hays projects to be ready to take over RF in July but the O's could decide  to keep him in the minors all year to preserve his service time. Springer spent a year at AA/AAA and started the next season at AAA to get the Astros 7 seasons before FA.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There is absolutely no role for Adam Jones on a rebuilding team like the Orioles. I see him eventually signing a one year deal with a contending team. Once reality sets in, if it hasn't already, Jones will sign and become the part-time player he is at this point of his career.  

Ditto

There was a bit in one of Meoli's stories after Fanfest about how the club is evaluating the subsequent trade value of free agents as well in their market review.  While he respected Jones as he had to, I also hear that as code for bad fit.  

I can see that role being a fit for the extended spring training that is our first half, but guys like Carlos Gonzalez and Denard Span are probably looking at sub-Jones contracts and won't have no trade rights as Orioles.

7 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

There was a bit in one of Meoli's stories after Fanfest about how the club is evaluating the subsequent trade value of free agents as well in their market review.  While he respected Jones as he had to, I also hear that as code for bad fit.  

I can see that role being a fit for the extended spring training that is our first half, but guys like Carlos Gonzalez and Denard Span are probably looking at sub-Jones contracts and won't have no trade rights as Orioles.

Span has a terrible arm and Carlos Gonzalez has terrible away splits.  The O's would be better off with Yaz and Rickard in RF.

15 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

Forgive me if this has already been shared: 

SOURCE:  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/adam-jones

Interesting answer. Not a "no" but also not an endorsement of the concept. 

Would it be bad for AJ to return to be an additional veteran presence on a modest 1-year-deal? Maybe trade him at the deadline if he's on fire or let him finish his final year saying a proper goodbye to Baltimore if he falls below-average? 

What say you? 

MSK 

If Buck was still here I would think Jones would already be back.

With Elias and Hyde, they have no ties to the former Orioles and don't want regressing veterans blocking the playing time of the young players, so I really don't see a reunion with the O's unless he is still unsigned late into Spring Training.  

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

If Buck was still here I would think Jones would already be back.

With Elias and Hyde, they have no ties to the former Orioles and don't want regressing veterans blocking the playing time of the young players, so I really don't see a reunion with the O's unless he is still unsigned late into Spring Training.  

I dont think Buck as much impact on FA signings as some believe he did.

The future for this team is not now and depends on the development of the players.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Span has a terrible arm and Carlos Gonzalez has terrible away splits.  The O's would be better off with Yaz and Rickard in RF.

On Cargo, it's true, but I believe Rockies suffer a road penalty with the constant switching between how the ball behaves in mile-high conditions and not.  Matt Holliday and Dexter Fowler are two examples of good players who did fine adjusting to new teams.  I think our washed-up Atkins experience probably has us too pessimistic about Colorado exits.

I'm not sure the right answer, but I could see reasonable disagreeing on how much we want Mancini/Trumbo to monopolize LF/DH time.  I want Mancini to get away from the LF drag and hit 650 times.  But I'm not sure how much Trumbo's body will take, even at just DH.

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think Buck as much impact on FA signings as some believe he did.

The future for this team is not now and depends on the development of the players.

I'm not talking about nameless free agents.  I'm talking about the relationship Buck and Adam had.  

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

A below average arm in right field means a lot of singles get stretched into doubles. 

I wouldn't say a lot.  The short throw to second isn't so much the issue as the longer throws to third and home, IMO.  It's still a fairly big gamble to try to stretch a single to right into a double, even with a lesser arm in right field.  I think allowing runners to go from first to third and second to home on singles are where having a weak arm in right really hurts, as well as increased numbers of runners advancing to third and home on fly balls.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I wouldn't say a lot.  The short throw to second isn't so much the issue as the longer throws to third and home, IMO.  It's still a fairly big gamble to try to stretch a single to right into a double, even with a lesser arm in right field.  I think allowing runners to go from first to third and second to home on singles are where having a weak arm in right really hurts, as well as increased numbers of runners advancing to third and home on fly balls.

I would say that is why Chris Davis wasn't that bad in right.  Right field in Camden Yards is small combine that with a very strong arm and his lack of mobility doesn't hurt that much.  Sort of the reason I question why they have Mancini in left.  Davis is a better right fielder than Mancini is a left fielder. 

Archived