Adam Jones returning? Unlikely, but would it be bad?

MemorialStadKid

I’d have rathered Markakis but Jones is a great guy who would be beneficial to have around younger guys. Though it’s time to be honest about how productive he can really be and that’s hard to do when there’s so much sentimentality. It’s probably best he finds a new team. I’d love to see him play on a contender. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Jones could fit for a year or until we develop a young RF.  Depends on how much he costs. Could be surprisingly cheap.

Been saying this for awhile if he's going to cost no more $3 mil. Still think he could be a fit in RF until Hays/Diaz are called up at some point next year. 

I like AJ as much as anyone. But the O's are in complete rebuild mode. So I don't really think Jones is a good idea at this point. Just like having a free swinging Vladamir Guerrero wasn't the best guy to have around a young Adam Jones. I don't want any free swingers that we don't have to on this team at the moment. I can deal with the losses for now. But I've had all I can stomach of 130 plus strikeout guys.

Edit:Jones only hit 130 plus twice so I'm not exactly talking about him per se.

2 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Been saying this for awhile if he's going to cost no more $3 mil. Still think he could be a fit in RF until Hays/Diaz are called up at some point next year. 

Agreed. $3M would be my budget for AJ. Same with Weiters.

The one thing I never liked about Adam was he talked to much has an opinion about everything wanted the ear or had the ear of ownership. If that’s how he still is then I don’t want no parts of him. If he could just shut up and come here to just play baseball and is ok with rf I’m all for it at the right price. Jones is a fan favorite and does a lot for the community which I still believe he will continue to be a part of the community whether he plays here or not.

51 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Sorry Whammer but I wouldn't give Wieters $3.00

Here's what I was thinkin:

1. We really don't have a starting C

2. Veteran presence to mentor Sisco and Wynn  and Rutschman

3. Wieters > Caleb

4. Can't hit any more but I hear he's great with young pitchers

5. May put a few butts in seats

4 hours ago, MemorialStadKid said:

Forgive me if this has already been shared: 

SOURCE:  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/adam-jones

Interesting answer. Not a "no" but also not an endorsement of the concept. 

Would it be bad for AJ to return to be an additional veteran presence on a modest 1-year-deal? Maybe trade him at the deadline if he's on fire or let him finish his final year saying a proper goodbye to Baltimore if he falls below-average? 

What say you? 

MSK 

It'd be bad. I like AJ. Dont want to see him playing longer than he should have.

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I think he's got another year in him and I'm pretty sure he'd put up better numbers than Rickard in RF.

I think people are underrating Adam a bit.   His bat was down a bit last year, but not drastically.    It wouldn’t surprise me if he had a couple of .780 OPS seasons left in him.  I think his days as a plus defender are over but he should be averagish in a corner spot.   

1 hour ago, Whammer said:

3. Wieters > Caleb

Rutschman?

WTF?

I'm not in favor of keeping guys in the minors but I wouldn't expect to see Rutschman before 2021.

2 hours ago, Whammer said:

Agreed. $3M would be my budget for AJ. Same with Weiters.

2 hours ago, terphoopsfan said:

Sorry Whammer but I wouldn't give Wieters $3.00

1 hour ago, Whammer said:

3. Wieters > Caleb

I doubt we're carrying three catchers, and we have plenty of 1b/dh (not that he'd have a ton of value there). Its Sisco and Wynns all year, IMO. 

Archived