Adam Jones returning? Unlikely, but would it be bad?

MemorialStadKid

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A few years ago they wouldn't have had data showing how much he's slowed.

That's true.  But they would have had scouting reports that said he was much slower.  And everyone would see that a 115-loss team still moved him to a corner.

It's almost like five, ten years ago teams employed analysts but mostly ignored them.  This year they decided to trust them and base long-term strategies on what they're saying.

My contract estimator is based on a 0.5 win decline a year, no matter what age.  3, 4, 5 years ago that was what the market did - it seemed to ignore age, and heavily weight last year.  I wonder if I changed the assumptions and made it more rational if that would better match up to today?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Below is a quote from Jones after the 2015 season. It leads me to believe Jones is not interested in signing on for a rebuild. He wants to win.

"Because I'm getting older," he said. "As you get older, you want to win. I may want to play until I'm 40, but every day you get older, so you want to win and win and win. You see why Torii (Hunter) is still playing. You want to win."

Archived