Trezza 2/1/19: Will O's target star Cuban SS Sanchez?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Has anyone said it will cost $5 mil to sign him?  My initial answer is NO, that's too much. But, I'd spend $2 and maybe more to some extent.

No, but I was responding to someone suggesting we should use all of our allotment if necessary.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, but I was responding to someone suggesting we should use all of our allotment if necessary.

I am that someone to whom you were responding, however, I did not suggest we should use all of our allotment if necessary.  I said it would be stupid to publicly say that they would use all of their resources, even if they intended to outbid all other teams.  That was in response to those who seemed dismayed by the FO's public comments.

24 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I am that someone to whom you were responding, however, I did not suggest we should use all of our allotment if necessary.  I said it would be stupid to publicly say that they would use all of their resources, even if they intended to outbid all other teams.  That was in response to those who seemed dismayed by the FO's public comments.

Fair enough.   I agree with your point.   No reason for Elias to show his hand or stoke fan expectations.   And I agree with his approach.   

I have a dumb question. So the international money that each team has... if they don’t spend it by a certain time they lose it.  My question is if they lose it does it still remain with the organization or does it get sent back to MLB? I’m assuming it stays with the team and they just can’t spend it on the international market? 

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I have a dumb question. So the international money that each team has... if they don’t spend it by a certain time they lose it.  My question is if they lose it does it still remain with the organization or does it get sent back to MLB? I’m assuming it stays with the team and they just can’t spend it on the international market? 

It isn't money, it is the ability to spend money.

11 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Duquette today on XM certainly sounded confident that the Os are in on this guy and that we are in the drivers seat to land him.

Don't let his statement mean more than it really does. Elias is "in it" for many reasons.  1. Our new policy or openness to IFAs. The Bros are much more open to it than the old man ever was. 2. Elias' obvious focus to all markets and especially international. 3. Elias' background in international scouting. 4. Sanchez' obvious skills. Even DD and co. would have watched him work out.

Also his statement that we're in the driver's seat is simply because we have the most money to spend by far. If we want to we can squeeze all the other teams out.

IMO they've watched ALL the available video of the guy, maybe Elias or the Int'l scouting director (forget his name...) might even have seen him in person. They'll watch him work out, determine what they think he's worth and make an offer. If he's offered more elsewhere I think (I hope) they'll pass and move on. Spend the money on something else (like someone said, a Venezuelan academy.) There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth here on the Hangout. Axe handles and pitchforks will be dusted off and a great din will be heard from the crowd. But imo In Elias We Trust.

8 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Saw a “report” on Twitter that Os have 2 million dollar offer on the table. Supposedly the players rep is telling other teams this. 

I haven’t seen that, the report I saw was a team offered him 2M if he waits until the 2019 signing period.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/yolbert-sanchez-cuban-shortstop-orioles-rangers-astros.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Saw a “report” on Twitter that Os have 2 million dollar offer on the table. Supposedly the players rep is telling other teams this. 

That's kinda Boras-like... not illegal but kinda shady. Shopping the offer around.

Maybe I'm naive, they probably all do that.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder if it is the same delegation they sent to look at Mesa?

I didn't hear Brady's name mentioned. I take that as a very good sign. 

Gotta love that Elias is jumping right in. He's on the ground. This is how it's done. 

And by the way, this kid could come here and be a superstar. Nobody really knows. He could tank, too. But to write him off as "limited" or whatever, at this stage, seems a bit premature. 

Archived