Trezza 2/1/19: Will O's target star Cuban SS Sanchez?

Greg Pappas

Examining the Orioles' pursuit of Yolbert Sanchez.

There's a lot of good info in the article, which lays out the potential situation with the young Cuban. Here's a snippet:

Known for his polished glove and good speed, Sanchez, who will be 22 in March, is older and therefore better known than most players subject to international signing rules. He is a veteran of Cuba's 18U and 23U teams, was the starting shortstop for the Havana Industriales and was projected to assume that role for island's national team.

Sanchez has been working out for clubs in the Dominican Republic, and he will be eligible to sign with MLB teams beginning Tuesday. The Orioles are widely seen as the favorites should they decide to target him.

Baltimore is in a prime position to do so; the Orioles possess the resources to outbid everybody. Their pool is about four times as large as the next closest team's (the Dodgers, at $1.4 million), and exceeds that of the next five clubs combined. The O's beefed up their pool in a flurry of midseason trades last summer, with the hopes of competing for top Cuban prospects Victor Victor Mesa, Victor Mesa Jr and Sandy Gaston. All signed with other teams this October after Dan Duquette's dismissal but before the hiring of Mike Elias.

Now Sanchez could provide an opportunity for Elias to jump-start the Orioles' rebuild earlier than anticipated. He also represents the first major player acquisition decision for the first-year general manager, who has called improving the O's capabilities in Latin America a priority.

Still, at this point, Sanchez is no guarantee to land in Baltimore for a few reasons.

Given his limited offensive potential, Sanchez is a consensus above-average prospect but, as one rival executive put it, "not a generational talent or anything." The executive compared Sanchez to a college senior and a potential second- or third-round pick if he were subject to the MLB Draft. That puts him a few rungs below Mesa and Gaston, but it's still enough to make him the top talent available on the international market right now.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came here to post this article.  The most interesting thing for me here is that MLB's new agreement with Cuba could make tons of potential players available before this year's signing period is over and we  would have to weigh that possibility with just going ahead and signing the solid but not spectacular Sanchez.

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm into it.  Gotta horde talent, gotta get as much as we can to see what sticks and what doesn't.  We've got the international money, might as well use it. 

Well unless our anointed saviour (did I say that? ?) decides he doesn't want to, to wit: 

“We’re keeping an eye on everything that develops internationally,” he said. “I’m not going to comment on specific players. But certainly we are aware of any new entrants to the market. We have a significant amount of unspent bonus pool cap space, but that doesn’t mean we are going to use it. Because we want to spend these dollars responsibly, because these are dollars we can invest in other aspects in our department."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/01/talking-with-mike-elias-for-a-q-and-a-on-player-development-and-the-farm.html

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Well unless our anointed saviour (did I say that? ?) decides he doesn't want to, to wit: 

“We’re keeping an eye on everything that develops internationally,” he said. “I’m not going to comment on specific players. But certainly we are aware of any new entrants to the market. We have a significant amount of unspent bonus pool cap space, but that doesn’t mean we are going to use it. Because we want to spend these dollars responsibly, because these are dollars we can invest in other aspects in our department."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/01/talking-with-mike-elias-for-a-q-and-a-on-player-development-and-the-farm.html

I bow down to the genius of Elias.  

I'd be curious to see how else he'd plan on investing the remaining dollars if he doesn't spend it on Sanchez and others.  He keeps things close to the vest, I doubt it'd ever come to light but it'd be cool to see.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I bow down to the genius of Elias.  

I'd be curious to see how else he'd plan on investing the remaining dollars if he doesn't spend it on Sanchez and others.  He keeps things close to the vest, I doubt it'd ever come to light but it'd be cool to see.

Assuming the budget even exists to spend all the slotted money.

2 hours ago, joelala said:

Yea it would be cool, but I wonder if he's really any upgrade over Martin and Jackson?

Martin and Jackson are out of options and need to be on the ML roster. It sounds like this guy would need time in the minors. A 22 year old college SS taken in the 2-3 round is on par with Cadyn Grenier. This would be adding a guy to our Top 15 prospects for whatever dollar figure it costs and seeing if he develops. 

9 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Martin and Jackson are out of options and need to be on the ML roster. It sounds like this guy would need time in the minors. A 22 year old college SS taken in the 2-3 round is on par with Cadyn Grenier. This would be adding a guy to our Top 15 prospects for whatever dollar figure it costs and seeing if he develops. 

That's first round pick Cadyn Grenier!

19 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

They aren’t out of options, they are just under Rule 5 draft regulations, so they would have to be offered back to their team if removed from the 25 man. If they stay on the 25 man all season, they are free to be optioned the next few years if the O’s so choose.

Archived