Roch: Caleb will not be back, "guaranteed"

interloper

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

One time I got to go into the Senators dugout before a game to get autographs.   I was 13.    I went in there, and Paul Casanova was in there smoking a cigarette.   That shocked me.    Then I asked for his autograph.   He said “sure, kid” and proceeded to stub his cigarette out  in his catcher’s mitt.  I was astounded that a professional athlete would treat his equipment that way.

I've got a new hero.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

31Nmy7aPTdL.jpg

"I'm Terry Kennedy and I'm slightly hungover.  But drinking every night is the only way I can cope with being a part of the '88 Orioles."

He'd been with the Padres for six years.  Played in the '84 Series.  On a bad day in San Diego it's 71 degrees, and you're playing with Tony Gwynn.  One day your agent calls you up and says you're heading to Charm City.  You're 31, you've squatted behind home plate for 1500 games.  Half of April it's 48 degrees, then all summer it's 97 and humid as hell.  He survives a year of that, and then comes 0-21.  He probably was drunk, and I don't blame him.

2 hours ago, MikeAD said:

There were so many posters here in those days acting like House was the answer to all the problems he was just a few at bats and a chance away from being a  stand out hitter.  Folks were nuts over him.  The glory days.  

House and Jon Knott.  That was a dark and stormy time during the 14 losing seasons.

10 hours ago, atomic said:

Both #1 and #3 are equally plausible.  I don't see him retiring.  He hasn't made enough money where even a minor league deal with an opt out wouldn't be appealing to him. 

Gosh I don't know what he made but I imagine it's a lot better than what most folks make. 

Archived