Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

• 4 months later...

Obviously with his salary he will be given every opportunity. I do however believe there has to be some degree of awfulness/time being awful that would be just too much to over look.  What does that look like for you?  Say he has an identical year to last year.  Does he start all year?  or does his playing time diminish?  What if he is worse?  How bad would it have to get and for how long?  Is it even possible this year or does he have to be awful into next year?

My take is that as long as he is performing above average defensively he will be the starting first baseman all year.  Buck will stick with him longer than I think most here would want.  

He'd have to be historically terrible to lose his everyday spot. I think it's possible we see him sit some against lefties if he slumps to start the year, but for the most part, he'd have to be hitting .180 with a sub-.700 OPS into June before we see his playing time cut in any significant manner (even then, i think he still plays at least half the time).

Fortunately, I don't expect the above putridness to happen. I'm expecting (probably a bit optimistically) for him to produce a .800 OPS and hit at least 30 bombs. I think we'll still have a low average, but I think/hope he can at least bump his OBP up to .320-.330.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

He'd have to be historically terrible to lose his everyday spot. I think it's possible we see him sit some against lefties if he slumps to start the year, but for the most part, he'd have to be hitting .180 with a sub-.700 OPS into June before we see his playing time cut in any significant manner (even then, i think he still plays at least half the time).

Fortunately, I don't expect the above putridness to happen. I'm expecting (probably a bit optimistically) for him to produce a .800 OPS and hit at least 30 bombs. I think we'll still have a low average, but I think/hope he can at least bump his OBP up to .320-.330.

Potential comeback player of the year numbers?  Would be nice.  

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No reason to knock Buck here, I think just about every other MLB team would do the same thing, given the same type of situation.

I wasn't knocking Buck at all.  Just stating an opinion that his leash would be longer than many here.  I suspect there are some who would bench him/significantly reduce his playing time after a month of last year's Numbers.  

• Upvote 1

Santander hits like a rookie of the year candidate, Hays continues to hit like a beast perhaps improves, and Trumbo picks his game up and Mancini hits like he has.  

Perhaps those variables shorten Davis' leash if he isn't hitting.  Trumbo/Mancini to first/DH.  

Buck loves to ask reporters "who else" when confronted with reducing a poor players time.  Perhaps if he has other options he'd use them.  

1 minute ago, bird watcher said:

I wasn't knocking Buck at all.  Just stating an opinion that his leash would be longer than many here.  I suspect there are some who would bench him/significantly reduce his playing time after a month of last year's Numbers.  

No, but other comments made in this thread, sounded like a knock

If Davis is performing like he did in 2017, I could see him not starting as many games against lefties. For a player who has exhibited fairly even splits in other seasons, last year Davis slugged a mere .319 against left-handed pitchers! That weak performance helped produce a meager .618 OPS, as compared to an OPS of .785 versus right-handed pitchers.

51 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I expect him to hit <.200 and OPS < .700, but Buck will still bat him 4-6 for the first 3 months of the year