Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

In the "How Low Can He Go" thread, I predicted his OPS couldn't fall below .450

He's at .454 right now.  Another 0-fer game and he's below that mark.  So lost at the plate.  So unable or unwilling to make adjustments.  So sad.

Just now, eddie83 said:

Only positive to me is he is so bad he may be gone sooner than later. 

I mean can they bring him back next year after this debacle? 

I don't think they DFA him with 4 more years left.  In a very unlikely scenario, maybe they can convince him to walk away.

Just now, Oriol3s said:

I don't think they DFA him with 4 more years left.  In a very unlikely scenario, maybe they can convince him to walk away.

It’s his money. I can see him being bought out. Either way I am sick of watching him.  

1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

He should play every day until either the Orioles are playing for something or he is blocking someone.

He is blocking someone. Any replacement level player not making $160 mil. Or, the guy currently playing LF for the Orioles. Or, Trumbo. Or, Alvarez. 

Play the best nine/ten available for each game, regardless of salary. Sunk cost is a thing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

This will keep getting uglier. At some point even the Orioles will walk away.  

The White Sox didn't give up on Dunn.  The Phillies didn't give up on Howard.  He is here to stay.  I wish they would get rid of the guys who aren't owed 100 million who are stinkin up the joint. 

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

He is blocking someone. Any replacement level player not making $160 mil. Or, the guy currently playing LF for the Orioles. Or, Trumbo. Or, Alvarez. 

Play the best nine/ten available for each game, regardless of salary. Sunk cost is a thing.

I don't agree with playing the best nine/ten. At this point, all playing time should be prioritized by:

1. Player development at the major league level.

2. Showcasing players for possible trades, hoping to increase value.

Davis is not blocking anyone. As frustrating as it may seem, there are no 1B players on the farm who don't appear to need more time in the minors. 

That said, Davis, with his contract, will never have positive trade value. It is a sunk cost. If a player with potential trade value were to become available via waivers, I would have no problem DFA'ing Davis.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Ubaldo says hello.   As long as the old man is alive, Chris Davis will play out his deal. 

Ubaldo was not this bad. He is hitting worse than a pitcher. Ubaldo in relation was Tom Seaver.