Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Not my choice. And Cobb should have never been signed by a team better suited for a rebuild.

You won’t get any argument from me about the state of the organization.

Now you have Cobb, would you get rid of him too?

I could go either way.  I'd even play Tillman.  It's painful but unless someone is knocking on the door I wouldn't add a dime of payroll because it's all chasing good money after bad.  I have no idea how management sees it.  It will be an embarrassing season either way so strategically it'd be better to be a cheap one.  I know what sunk costs are but they really are so stunningly devoid of options that it doesn't matter if Chris Davis is the worst player in baseball history.  Just hope he remembers how to do something.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Even complaining about the CD situation is becoming a waste of time and energy.  This is the right way to look at things.  Nonetheless I don't see it happening until the end of the season.  Sadly.

Or, maybe ever. That would be worse than sad, or, maybe comical depending on how you look at things

1 minute ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Now you have Cobb, would you get rid of him too?

I could go either way.  I'd even play Tillman.  It's painful but unless someone is knocking on the door I wouldn't add a dime of payroll because it's all chasing good money after bad.  I have no idea how management sees it.  It will be an embarrassing season either way so strategically it'd be better to be a cheap one.  I know what sunk costs are but they really are so stunningly devoid of options that it doesn't matter if Chris Davis is the worst player in baseball history.  Just hope he remembers how to do something.

Too late. Signing Cobb was literally throwing good money after bad (Davis).

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Or, maybe ever. That would be worse than sad, or, maybe comical depending on how you look at things

I pointed out in one of the other bash Chris Davis threads that there is a larger business context to factor in, staffing considerations, and I believe there's a human dimension as well when it comes to Davis.  This situation simply can't go on for the duration of CD's contract without a tremendous loss of goodwill toward the Orioles.  There are a lot of other contracts ending at the end of the season and it would be a perfect time to hit the reset button.

12 minutes ago, 24fps said:

This comment is an article of faith bordering on urban legend.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  Either way you have no way of knowing what the Orioles will or won't do in the face of a situation like this.  It is unprecedented.

They traded draft picks to get rid of Webb and Matusz.  And those guys were owed less than 3 million dollars.  Davis isn't going anywhere. 

27 minutes ago, 24fps said:

This comment is an article of faith bordering on urban legend.  Or maybe it's the other way around.  Either way you have no way of knowing what the Orioles will or won't do in the face of a situation like this.  It is unprecedented.

Yes, it’s an opinion...a comment.  Like everything else on this board. 

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

They traded draft picks to get rid of Webb and Matusz.  And those guys were owed less than 3 million dollars.  Davis isn't going anywhere. 

Webb and Matusz were jettisoned in the middle of a genuine competetive window.  My prediction is that Chris Davis will be jettisoned in year two of nuclear winter after a season unlike any other.  Unprecedented means Webb and Matusz and Dan Duquette's response thereto are beyond irrelevant.

0 for 5 and 1 for last 13. OPS reaches a new low of .454.

What is astonishing to me is that the power game has completely vanished along with the rest. Davis has gone a whole month without hitting a single home run. SLG is .227! To put that in perspective, 1988 Billy Ripken put up .258. This is just epic. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

0 for 5 and 1 for last 13. OPS reaches a new low of .454.

What is astonishing to me is that the power game has completely vanished along with the rest. Davis has gone a whole month without hitting a single home run. SLG is .227! To put that in perspective, 1988 Billy Ripken put up .258. This is just epic. 

FWIW Jose Conseco thinks it’s in his head.  He thinks he looks ok physically but has mentally given up.  

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Answering the initial question.

Yes.

I’m okay with riding out the season with Davis. If I was concerned as the Orioles claim to be I would have found a way to put him on the DL. He’s nearly an automatic out

Archived