Question: Is that Ryan Mountcastle at first base?

wildcard

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hyde and his people don’t really have an opinion at this point. But they want options. That’s why Mountcastle is working at first, too.

“We’re just trying to get our eyes on him. Just haven’t seen much of him play, and, obviously, he’s a big piece for us going forward, because he’s just such a dynamic offensive player. We’re trying to make a fit,” Hyde said. “I’m trying to get (Flores) to get with him as much as possible and work hard with him to figure out through this camp where we see him fit. So, he’s going to be going a little bit of first, a little bit of third, back and forth, kind of stuff.”

The Orioles and Hyde also get points for not having Mountcastle work in left field, a position some observers believe will be his eventual landing spot. Don’t overwhelm the kid.

“That might be down the road,” Hyde said about having Mountcastle learn left. “Right now, we really want him to focus on his defense in the infield and then we’ll make a determination later on.”

“There’s still developing that’s still going on. I just want whatever is best for him,” Hyde said. “Whatever is gonna really help him get to the big leagues and be a big-league force offensively, we’re just trying to find the right fit for him and get to know him and make some evaluations on his defense as we go along. Again, with the new coaches and maybe some new ideas, hopefully he gets comfortable and hopefully we find a great spot for him.”

As for Mountcastle, he says exactly what he is supposed to say: “Whatever they want me to do, I’m going to do it. And whatever it takes to get to the big leagues, whether it be playing first or third, I’m ready to do it.”

To Mountcastle's credit, it sounds like he doesn't have an ego about his position. He knows its his bat that's going to carry him and he wants to find a spot where he can best contribute in the field. He was a high draft pick and a HS shortstop. He could have been insulted by being toss a first base mitt, but looks like he's taking it in stride. Show good attitude. 

On 2/18/2019 at 6:18 PM, 25 Nuggets said:

I know sticking him at first may hurt his WAR or whatever with the positional adjustment, but I'm still happy to see this.

Instead of Davis and Trumbo there should be Mancini and Mountcastle.

The only way that moving positions impacts your WAR is if you're much better or worse than you're expected to be at that position.   An average player who moves from third to first takes a (for example) five run hit on positional adjustment, but is five runs better on defense.  

On 2/18/2019 at 5:18 PM, 25 Nuggets said:

I know sticking him at first may hurt his WAR or whatever with the positional adjustment, but I'm still happy to see this.

Instead of Davis and Trumbo there should be Mancini and Mountcastle.

What is the positional adjustment?

If I understand correctly, there is a certain standard of offense at any given position, so a player is penalized or rewarded if he doesn’t meet that expectation, or exceeds it. Is that correct? If so, I’m not sure I see any purpose to it.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

28 pounds of muscle!? He definitely ate a tub of protein after 8 pm... 

It'll be interesting to see how the extra mass plays into his position and movement.

I doubt it's anywhere near 28 pounds of muscle, that's a huge amount of lean mass to gain. 

If he was 195 and gained 28 pounds to 223, and went from 8% body fat to 12% body fat (which might not be particularly noticeable with the gain in lean mass happening too), that would be 18 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat which would be reasonably easy to do for a thin guy his age with a dirty bulk. 

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I doubt it's anywhere near 28 pounds of muscle, that's a huge amount of lean mass to gain. 

If he was 195 and gained 28 pounds to 223, and went from 8% body fat to 12% body fat (which might not be particularly noticeable with the gain in lean mass happening too), that would be 18 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat which would be reasonably easy to do for a thin guy his age with a dirty bulk. 

No wonder he’s moving to 1B!    28 pounds in 6 months is a lot of weight gain, even for a 22 year old.    He and Ortiz should get on a seesaw and see who floats upward.   

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Dirty bulk?

Sounds a bit questionable.

Archived