Who's In Control?

TonySoprano

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not to get off topic, but another season is upon us and the MASN situation still isn’t resolved. 

Well, they had the arbitration hearing back in December.    I’d imagine the panel’s decision will come down in the next couple of months.   That’s not necessarily the end of the process, but it sets the baseline and we’ll see where things go from there.    

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

MLB requires that there be one designated representative with final decision making authority for every team.    That’s been Peter, but it seems he’s not capable anymore.  So, somehow they need to pick between John and Lou, both of whom are active in the team’s affairs.

This doesn’t need to be a big deal unless the Angelos family makes it one.     Last year the Nats switched their designated representative from Ted Lerner to Mark Lerner.    Mark was interviewed and said it would make little difference, because the Lerner family would continue to make decisions by consensus, just as they always had.   The handover got one day of press coverage and that was that.   

Agreed, hence why I wrote about understanding that MLB needs something official.  But it's a molehill among mountains, IMO.  Checking a box, submitting a memo, etc.  Admin-type stuff.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

Exactly my point.  The Sun is making this a bigger deal that it really is. 

Perhaps. I do think who is actually running the team and the health of Peter are front page worthy stories. We all know it is no longer Peter but obviously many questions still exist.  

The Nationals did this last June. i can understand the owners wanting to get a resolution. Also the sons being a little reluctant to do this. I guess one son would be the principal in charge?

Ted Lerner, the Washington real estate magnate who became the owner of the Washington Nationals a dozen years ago, will cede control of the club to his son, Mark, following a vote by Major League Baseball’s franchise owners Thursday.

The transfer, which gives 64-year-old Mark Lerner voting power with MLB, takes place immediately and is the first indication of how the team will be governed by the next generation of the Lerner family, which does not intend to sell the team. The move was approved unanimously by baseball’s 29 other owners, who were meeting this week at the league’s offices in New York.

“On a personal basis, obviously it’s very exciting for me,” Mark Lerner said in an interview before the vote. “It’s something I have dreamed of since I was a little guy. But more importantly, the faith my parents have in me for them to do this at this time, it’s very exciting in that regard. The faith also that my family has in me . . . it means a lot that they’re around to share this with me.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/nationals-owner-ted-lerner-92-to-cede-control-of-club-to-son-mark/2018/06/14/3902cb24-6f80-11e8-afd5-778aca903bbe_story.html?utm_term=.edf72175f33c

12 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I know that the shares of ownership could be transferred to his wife, but she is 76 and would only stall the sons eventually needing to pony up the tax money when it comes time to deal with either Peter or Georgia's estate.  

I assure you this is not a minor consideration for the sons. I'd rather pay tens/hundreds of millions later than sooner, all things being equal. They're surely weighing the risk of future tax increases or MLB forcing new ownership, among other things. 

Archived