Yusniel Diaz is very impressive

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Small simple size has nothing to be with is size, build, bat speed and that he can adjust in the middle of his swing and hit a bullet.

Fair, I didn’t see the game. I have liked his swing from the videos I watched. I was in a mood today lol

Just now, OrioleDog said:

I don't think any Orioles team, even in the long stretch of losing years, ever expected not to contend as much as the 2019 Orioles.  2006 was the 3rd year of Tejada's contract - I think there was competitive intent all that time.

I think the O’s really needed someone to be excited about that year after the Raffy/Sosa/Tejada disaster, and Nick was just crazy good that spring.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I don't think any Orioles team, even in the long stretch of losing years, ever expected not to contend as much as the 2019 Orioles.  2006 was the 3rd year of Tejada's contract - I think there was competitive intent all that time.

So a team that isn't supposed to be competitive can't have a rookie make the team out of spring training?

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Yes that's true. But at least try to be a little excited about the O's.

True. I am cautiously excited about Diaz. Maybe our next Markakis? I don’t think he has the raw power of Cespedes as some have compared him to today, and doubt he has the cannon of an arm (though Nick’s arm was very strong too)

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, one game and all of a sudden the Manny trade is returning us something special.  Only on the OH.

One game?  Does he go home and deflate after the game and never show up again?

He is signed for more than one game.  We get to keep him for a while in fact.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Oh come on, not you too.

His reputation is line drive hitter, not a power guy.    That’s not how he looked on that swing.    Or really, the fly out he had in the prior st bat.  Put it this way: he still has to make good contact, and that’s a challenge for any player as he moves up the ladder.   But to use one of Buck’s pet phrases, I think the contact to damage ratio is going to be good.   

• Like 1

Just now, Frobby said:

His reputation is line drive hitter, not a power guy.    That’s not how he looked on that swing.    Or really, the fly out he had in the prior st bat.  Put it this way: he still has to make good contact, and that’s a challenge for any player as he moves up the ladder.   But to use one of Buck’s pet phrases, I think the contact to damage ratio is going to be good.   

I don't disagree on that point, it was a good swing.  But I'm not going to start making predictions about him off one game.  There's a long way to go for him.

But I don't see anyone getting all excited about Chance Sisco's homer today, at least not enough to dedicate a thread to it.  

Is that because Sisco was so God-awful last year that many around here have given up hope on him but Diaz is still a new shiny toy without much of a chance to disappoint us yet?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree on that point, it was a good swing.  But I'm not going to start making predictions about him off one game.  There's a long way to go for him.

But I don't see anyone getting all excited about Chance Sisco's homer today, at least not enough to dedicate a thread to it.  

Is that because Sisco was so God-awful last year that many around here have given up hope on him but Diaz is still a new shiny toy without much of a chance to disappoint us yet?

So I should cancel my plans to start a He just needed a Chance thread?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I was excited about Sisco’s homer. Beautiful swing.   

The main thing about Díaz is that his body has transformed over the winter.    

• Upvote 2