Yusniel Diaz is very impressive

wildcard

On 2/23/2019 at 10:04 PM, Frobby said:

I was excited about Sisco’s homer. Beautiful swing.   

The main thing about Díaz is that his body has transformed over the winter.    

Diaz looks like he filled out his frame.  He just turned 22 in October.  I think we all forget that Machado came up at 19 years old, and didn't develop his power until 2015, which is ironically his age 22 season.  Same with Bryce Harper, he had his 9.3 fWAR season at age 22.  

Obviously not trying to say Diaz is the next Machado or Harper, but this is the age where a lot of people, not just baseball players, are finally finished growing and are now able to fill out the rest of their bodies, and in the case of baseball players, that's usually a lot of muscle.  

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, atomic said:

It is racist when you say a nationality has good genes.

He's not being racist here.  Cuban players come from a very rigid, disciplined league- baseball is a way of life for many people in that country, and a lot of the Cuban players who defect and sign either start in MLB immediately or they are started in the high minors unless they are younger than 18-19.  Yolmer Sanchez is projected to start at AA baseball, same with Victor Victor Mesa.  The players who come out of Cuba are advanced baseball players as far as MLB development is concerned, they're prepared to play baseball at an early age, and are ready for the challenge of the minor and major leagues.  

On 2/23/2019 at 6:47 PM, ChuckS said:

His build and swing reminds me of Yoenis Cespedes.  Those Cubans have some good genes. 

Maybe we will start to see him tap into that raw power this season.  There certainly seems to be more power there than the 11 HR a year he's put up in the minors the last two seasons. 

On 2/23/2019 at 7:07 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

Careful. You're unintentionally treading into Jimmy the Greek waters with that comment. 

6 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

He's not being racist here.  Cuban players come from a very rigid, disciplined league- baseball is a way of life for many people in that country, and a lot of the Cuban players who defect and sign either start in MLB immediately or they are started in the high minors unless they are younger than 18-19.  Yolmer Sanchez is projected to start at AA baseball, same with Victor Victor Mesa.  The players who come out of Cuba are advanced baseball players as far as MLB development is concerned, they're prepared to play baseball at an early age, and are ready for the challenge of the minor and major leagues.  

The original conment was about Cubans having good genes, not about how dedicated Cubans are to playing baseball.   Still, I see the comment as silly, not racist.    Cuba is a multi-racial society, 64% white, 27% mixed, 9% black.   So how is the comment about race?   It’s just kind of a silly offhand remark.  

6 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

What you are saying is fine thing to say but when you say people from a certain country just have good genes that is racist.  Plenty of players from Asia play baseball really well. Jewish players, European players, Hispanic players, Black Players.  If you mention a certain player has good genes that is also fine but when you say a whole country has good genes you are basically saying the same thing Hitler did. 

On 2/23/2019 at 11:11 PM, ChuckS said:

That is ridiculous.  I suggest you look up the definition of racism. 

I did and that is racist. I am not sure what more you can say about it.  Apologize and move on and some introspection on your part would be good.  

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

What you are saying is fine thing to say but when you say people from a certain country just have good genes that is racist. 

No it isn’t, because Cuba is a country, not a race.    And it’s very far from a mono-racial country.    If you said Americans had good genes, would that be racist?    What race would we be talking about?    

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

What you are saying is fine thing to say but when you say people from a certain country just have good genes that is racist.  Plenty of players from Asia play baseball really well. Jewish players, European players, Hispanic players, Black Players.  If you mention a certain player has good genes that is also fine but when you say a whole country has good genes you are basically saying the same thing Hitler did

You really need to re-read your history. It seems clear you're misunderstanding the intent of the original post.

May as well start talking politics here and the board will have fully morphed into SOR territory.

I hope the guy can continue to develop.  I'm not worried about his skills, but more his attitude and want to.  I think most scouts agree his floor is that of an average major leaguer.  What will determine how far he goes is his drive and ability to absorb coaching.  I have no knowledge of the former but apparently his latter is still questionable as it was reported that he didn't take to coaching too well when he made the change to the O's coaches after the trade.  Only time will tell, but I am of the theory that this guy should not be in the majors until June of next year.  Start his (and all prospects') clocks as late as possible to extend O's control on him. 

Just now, Punchandjudy said:

What will determine how far he goes is his drive and ability to absorb coaching.  I have no knowledge of the former but apparently his latter is still questionable as it was reported that he didn't take to coaching too well when he made the change to the O's coaches after the trade. 

I have heard diametrically opposed things about how well Díaz reacts to coaching.    Some say he’s stubborn, some say he’s very coachable.    I guess we’ll see.   It’s a big year for him, for sure.    

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No it isn’t, because Cuba is a country, not a race.    And it’s very far from a mono-racial country.    If you said Americans had good genes, would that be racist?    What race would we be talking about?    

The categories are just self-reporting and not the reality. I am not sure what the point of having a discussion on genetics of Cuba would give.  And I don't see the point of arguing about it.  

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The original conment was about Cubans having good genes, not about how dedicated Cubans are to playing baseball.   Still, I see the comment as silly, not racist.    Cuba is a multi-racial society, 64% white, 27% mixed, 9% black.   So how is the comment about race?   It’s just kind of a silly offhand remark.  

I think the numbers you are giving are self-reporting and not actual numbers. I think a discussion of the genetics of Cuba is going to make things worse in this regard.  I am not sure why we can't just not discuss the genetics of an entire country being superior or inferior.  I find it racist. I don't see the need for it.  Further discussing and you throwing gasoline on the fire doesn't help.  

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

The categories are just self-reporting and not the reality. I am not sure what the point of having a discussion on genetics of Cuba would give.  And I don't see the point of arguing about it.  

I think the numbers you are giving are self-reporting and not actual numbers. I think a discussion of the genetics of Cuba is going to make things worse in this regard.  I am not sure why we can't just not discuss the genetics of an entire country being superior or inferior.  I find it racist. I don't see the need for it.  Further discussing and you throwing gasoline on the fire doesn't help.  

I am happy to drop the subject.   But I don’t think my point rested on whether the reported racial makeup of Cuba is perfectly accurate.    Racism is discriminatory statements or actions based on race, and Cuba isn’t a race, nor is it anything close to a mono-racial country.    So I don’t see how a statement about Cubans can be racist unless it is targeted towards a particular race in Cuba.   

Archived