TT: Early Spring Training Observations

Tony-OH

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Good stuff Tony! With Wright throwing 3 more strong innings today he is pushing pushing pushing for that 5th spot. Like you said tho, early performances, good or bad, don't mean much yet.

We've seen good spring training Wright before. Unless there something in the stuff that indicates he's doing something different, I'm not believing.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We've seen good spring training Wright before. Unless there something in the stuff that indicates he's doing something different, I'm not believing.

Wait til he gets in trouble and we see the deer in the headlights...

Excellent review.   Really liked the information on Yacabonis.   Sounds like there are reasons he is doing well this spring.   Can't agree that Nunez and Ruiz are even.  Nunez is pretty shaky on defense.  Maybe he misses Bobby Dickerson.  

I think Rickard has outplayed Stewart so far.  But that is just my opinion.

Nice work Tony.  It's early and it's going to be a long year, but I am enjoying getting to know Elias and Co.  I like the vibe and we are going to watch a whole bunch of guys get a chance.  I'm ready to hang on for the ride and I like what I see.  Keep an even keel and maybe we get a few genuine surprises.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice report, Tony.    I know you were in Sarasota - how long?   How was the vibe?

I wasn't there long. When I went into the locker room the first thing you notice is how young everyone is and how i had to look at the nameplate to know who half the guys were. Haha.

Overall though, there seems to be a good vibe because everyone believes they have an actual chance to win a job. The only thing I was little surprised with was the lack of obvious enthusiasm when I brought up analytics. As one pitcher said, "Basically they just tell you what you do the best and to use that more." 

I just think it will take some time for some guys to get it overall. 

1) not a word about Sisco’s d. Unless we hear otherwise, we have to assume it’s still awful. He is not just hitting for power, he’s also not striking out, which is good. But it is really good enough to overlook his D. If he’s really hitting well, bring him north as the DH and let Sucre or Perez be backup C.

2) is Wright for real? Are the guys he’s faced front-line players or AA scrubs?

3) Mancini in LF? Mike, Mike, Mike, how can you break our hearts so soon? Is there a dumber move possible than letting Trey trundle around the outfield again?

4) Núñez is bad on defense, and Mike likes Ruiz. Ruiz has to have the edge.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

1) not a word about Sisco’s d. Unless we hear otherwise, we have to assume it’s still awful. He is not just hitting for power, he’s also not striking out, which is good. But it is really good enough to overlook his D. If he’s really hitting well, bring him north as the DH and let Sucre or Perez be backup C.

2) is Wright for real? Are the guys he’s faced front-line players or AA scrubs?

3) Mancini in LF? Mike, Mike, Mike, how can you break our hearts so soon? Is there a dumber move possible than letting Trey trundle around the outfield again?

4) Núñez is bad on defense, and Mike likes Ruiz. Ruiz has to have the edge.

His defense wasn't awful last year.

He was below average.

Not even close to the same thing.

It isn't just Gold Glove/Above average/Awful.

Archived