The next top 100 player for the Orioles

Moose Milligan

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26249938/predicting-next-top-100-player-all-30-teams

Who made it this year? Nobody

Next: DL Hall, LHP

It's possible the next top-100 player for the Orioles isn't even in the organization yet. Hall is the only prospect to crack Law's top 100 (at No. 63) after dominating the South Atlantic League in his first full professional season. Still, it's a long way from low-A to the majors, so he's several years from making any impact.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26249938/predicting-next-top-100-player-all-30-teams

Who made it this year? Nobody

Next: DL Hall, LHP

It's possible the next top-100 player for the Orioles isn't even in the organization yet. Hall is the only prospect to crack Law's top 100 (at No. 63) after dominating the South Atlantic League in his first full professional season. Still, it's a long way from low-A to the majors, so he's several years from making any impact.

DL Hall was my choice too.

Rutscman - The moment we draft him he enters every top 100 list. He’ll conservatively be a consensus top 25 on all lists. 

DL Hall - The only thing holding him back so far was is first year in full season ball and his innings limit. That will change this year. 

Mountcastle - With playing 1B and freeing his mind of defense, I think he mashed in AA/AAA  only thing holding him back is “value”.

Grayson Rodriguez - He should be in a similar path as Hall, but people’s perception was that we drafted him too high.  Perception lingers with the list people.

Diaz - I think he’s up with the big club before the post draft top 100 lists come out. Hays makes OD roster. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Rutscman - The moment we draft him he enters every top 100 list. He’ll conservatively be a consensus top 25 on all lists. 

DL Hall - The only thing holding him back so far was is first year in full season ball and his innings limit. That will change this year. 

Mountcastle - With playing 1B and freeing his mind of defense, I think he mashed in AA/AAA  only thing holding him back is “value”.

Grayson Rodriguez - He should be in a similar path as Hall, but people’s perception was that we drafted him too high.  Perception lingers with the list people.

Diaz - I think he’s up with the big club before the post draft top 100 lists come out. Hays makes OD roster. 

They aren't talking about top 100 prospect list, but top 100 MLB players.

Mountcastle, Hall, and Diaz all made multiple top 100 prospect lists this year. McKenna made one as well. I don't think GrayRod or Hays did, but they were on the just missed portion of some lists I believe. 

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

They aren't talking about top 100 prospect list, but top 100 MLB players.

Mountcastle, Hall, and Diaz all made multiple top 100 prospect lists this year. McKenna made one as well. I don't think GrayRod or Hays did, but they were on the just missed portion of some lists I believe. 

I was thinking the same thing (thanks for clarifying). I personally think Diaz is the most likely of our current players to be a top 100 MLB player. I might put Mountcastle ahead of him, but there's just too much uncertainly about where's he's going to stick defensively. 

Elias' tenure might ultimately be graded by which of that list of guys (Hays, Hall, Mountcastle, Gray Rod, Diaz and Adley R. if he's the pick, and any below the radar guys) become top 100 guys. I'd wager we need 5 or 6 to be the team we want to be. After all, with only 30 teams, on average each team theoretically should have about 3 such players. Elias will have to develop and/or find them. 

34 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Elias' tenure might ultimately be graded by which of that list of guys (Hays, Hall, Mountcastle, Gray Rod, Diaz and Adley R. if he's the pick, and any below the radar guys) become top 100 guys. I'd wager we need 5 or 6 to be the team we want to be. After all, with only 30 teams, on average each team theoretically should have about 3 such players. Elias will have to develop and/or find them. 

The Yankees have 9, the Red Sox 7.    So, 5 or 6 may understate what we need.   It’s going to take a combination of developing players who are in our system and acquiring some others over time.   It won’t happen overnight.    

Archived