Adam Jones and the new Orioles philosphy

Legend_Of_Joey

I wonder how many other players feel this way and don't buy into analytics?

Especially on the Orioles with players like Davis and Trumbo, do they buy into it and if so, how did the conversation go? Obviously it is probably a lot easier to talk the young guys into the benefits of this extra data.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more from that article...same old Adam..gotta love him. 

But the Diamondbacks will be asking Jones to take some of the same advice McKay gave to Inciarte years ago. Like Inciarte, Jones likes to play a shallow center field. And like Inciarte, the Diamondbacks want Jones – whose defense in center, according to advanced metrics, cratered the past two seasons after rating as merely mediocre in his prime – to play deeper.

“We’re going to try to put him in an optimal position based on what he’s shown the last couple of years,” Hazen said. “It could be as simple as moving him back a little bit. We felt like that could have a pretty good impact on things overall.”

It remains to be seen whether such a move can transform Jones, who will play more center than the corners, into less of a liability in the outfield. There’s some evidence that, because age seems to be catching up to the 33-year-old, it might not make much of a difference. But before that experiment can be put to the test, there’s an important step the Diamondbacks have to take: They have to convince Jones that changing the way he plays center is in his best interests.

Jones has a clear idea of how he should play center, and it’s not moving back. He rejects the notion that he’s not the same athlete he was in his 20s. And he doesn’t place much stock in Ultimate Zone Rating or Defensive Runs Saved.

“I’m not going to play the sabermetrics-type baseball,” Jones said. “I’m going to play baseball.”

I understand the griping at Jones, 100%.

I will say, in his defense and playing devil's advocate here, that the attitude is what gives an athlete his edge.  I think to grind out an MLB season, to play this game at such a high level, you need to have selective ignorance about where you are with certain things.  And that may include lying to yourself about what you bring to the table...and what you've lost.  Mired in a 3-24 stretch?  Don't all of a sudden start thinking that you've lost it and can't hit, that'll screw you up bad.

I think Jones, deep down, probably knows he's lost range.  But he's not going to admit that.  The stubbornness in regards to what's worked for his entire career and made him great is the same thing that might hasten his exit out of MLB.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I understand the griping at Jones, 100%.

I will say, in his defense and playing devil's advocate here, that the attitude is what gives an athlete his edge.  I think to grind out an MLB season, to play this game at such a high level, you need to have selective ignorance about where you are with certain things.  And that may include lying to yourself about what you bring to the table...and what you've lost.  Mired in a 3-24 stretch?  Don't all of a sudden start thinking that you've lost it and can't hit, that'll screw you up bad.

I think Jones, deep down, probably knows he's lost range.  But he's not going to admit that.  The stubbornness in regards to what's worked for his entire career and made him great is the same thing that might hasten his exit out of MLB.  

I hear you, but there’s edge and then there’s just dumb. There’s no dishonor in playing a little deeper, to being open to coaching, etc. I’ve been a Jones fan and largely a defender, but this is the sort of stuff you don’t want your younger players to hear, etc. I like Jones and didn’t want to believe some of the gripes from fans about him regarding the trade decision, past comments, etc, were based in reality, but that direct quote is very damning. 

55 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I hear you, but there’s edge and then there’s just dumb. There’s no dishonor in playing a little deeper, to being open to coaching, etc. I’ve been a Jones fan and largely a defender, but this is the sort of stuff you don’t want your younger players to hear, etc. I like Jones and didn’t want to believe some of the gripes from fans about him regarding the trade decision, past comments, etc, were based in reality, but that direct quote is very damning. 

Yup, don't disagree.  

Archived