The Defense Thread, 2019

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Villar opened the day with an error & Wilkerson, once again, started backwards on a pop fly that landed 60 feet in front of where he was originally set up. 

Wilkerson is not good in the OF. I’m sure Santander isn’t as fast, but he isn’t slow. And he clearly gets better reads and takes good routes compared to Stevie. 

Wilkerson down when Smith Jr comes back.

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Wilkerson is not good in the OF. I’m sure Santander isn’t as fast, but he isn’t slow. And he clearly gets better reads and takes good routes compared to Stevie. 

Wilkerson down when Smith Jr comes back.

Would require a DFA, no? Or does he have an option?

I'm getting to the point where I might like to see Wilkerson in the infield over Villar or Alberto on occasion. Not all the time, but mix him in. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm getting to the point where I might like to see Wilkerson in the infield over Villar or Alberto on occasion. Not all the time, but mix him in. 

He was DFA earlier this year and passed through, I believe.

I am ready to see Mason Williams. He can't be worse than what we have.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He was DFA earlier this year and passed through, I believe.

I am ready to see Mason Williams. He can't be worse than what we have.

Yeah, you already have Broxton occupying a 40-man spot. I would swap those guys all day just to see what Williams can do. Neither of them will be impact guys, but who knows. Broxton isn't really a difference maker defensively like we thought he might be. 

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Totally forgot he’s out of options, but I wouldn’t be opposed to him mixing into the IF on occasion. Thing is, does that come at the expense of Santander being optioned when Smith returns.

12 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Totally forgot he’s out of options, but I wouldn’t be opposed to him mixing into the IF on occasion. Thing is, does that come at the expense of Santander being optioned when Smith returns.

I do not believe he is out of options.   He was drafted in 2014, and did not need to be on the 40-man until after the 2018 season.   His first option was used last season when they called him up in June and then sent him down.

What you may be thinking of is that he was DFA in spring training to take him off the 40 man roster.   Obviously, now he’s back on it.  So far as I know (and I could be wrong here), so long as we keep him on the 40, he still has his two options even though he was previously DFA.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@Frobby you should perhaps rename it "The Lack of Defense Thread."

This got me to wondering, is our defense better, worse or the same as last year?

At least per UZR, the answer is it’s somewhat better, but still terrible.   Right now we are at -16.5, on pace for around -35, 27th in the majors.   Last year, we were -49.9, 29th in the majors.    Our outfield defense is about the same as last year’s.   The infield is somewhat better.    

I have to say, the outfield I was hoping to see last offseason is not the outfield we have.   I was hoping for Mullins, Hays and Diaz or Stewart; instead we’ve been seeing combinations like Wilkerson, Mancini and Smith Jr.   And Martin hasn’t been the average to plus defender I was expecting, though he’s at least steadier than Beckham.  Overall, this has been an area of disappointment.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This got me to wondering, is our defense better, worse or the same as last year?

At least per UZR, the answer is it’s somewhat better, but still terrible.   Right now we are at -16.5, on pace for around -35, 27th in the majors.   Last year, we were -49.9, 29th in the majors.    Our outfield defense is about the same as last year’s.   The infield is somewhat better.    

I have to say, the outfield I was hoping to see last offseason is not the outfield we have.   I was hoping for Mullins, Hays and Diaz or Stewart; instead we’ve been seeing combinations like Wilkerson, Mancini and Smith Jr.   And Martin hasn’t been the average to plus defender I was expecting, though he’s at least steadier than Beckham.  Overall, this has been an area of disappointment.  

Yikes, who's got worse defense than us?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I dont see many games but hear some announcers saying Martin is playing great defense but he needs to hit to stay in the majors 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I do not believe he is out of options.   He was drafted in 2014, and did not need to be on the 40-man until after the 2018 season.   His first option was used last season when they called him up in June and then sent him down.

What you may be thinking of is that he was DFA in spring training to take him off the 40 man roster.   Obviously, now he’s back on it.  So far as I know (and I could be wrong here), so long as we keep him on the 40, he still has his two options even though he was previously DFA.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-baltimore-orioles

Per Roster Resource, Dwight Smith has 1 option remaining.