Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

It’s kind of funny, Rodriguez has only allowed more than one ER three times this year in 14 starts, and in two of those he allowed 6 and 7 ER.   He’s allowed 9 ER total in his other 12 starts.   It will be interesting to see how he rebounds next outing.   

On 7/21/2019 at 12:30 PM, orioles22 said:

He could be tired, but it seems like he's been babied too much. it seems like he's averaged 6-7 days between starts.

4 hours ago, billw76 said:

Hopefully it's just the grind of a first full season. I don't see how 6-7 days between starts helps either. 

I don't see why it's babying or what it hurts. If he was a freshman in college he'd be pitching once a week, no one complains they are being babied.

See Nick Lodolo's game log--generally 6 days rest.

https://gofrogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5173

It's weird, but amid Rodriguez's slump, I've been comforted seeing Mize and Gore with bumps in the road recently too.

It is a reality check - for sure I was entertaining visions of him pitching for the Sally Championship that probably were a stretch endurance wise for someone in high school last year.  If we want him hot in September for those playoffs, he probably needs a break.  That said, if he doesn't have any health problems that force a break now,  I think workload wise I'd rather do the Strasburg Shutdown plan and just see him pitch 4 months and be done, even if that means he misses the Sally postseason.

Bringing a HS arm along that you have 32 GS/200 IP hopes for - if it all goes smooth, I kind of feel like in Year 2 you hope for Month 5 of regular SP effectiveness, and Month 6 in Year 3/4.  I think for some of our high minors arms that progression to full season starter workloads isn't as important because I imagine Sig and his team finding the optimal middle distance fits for 2022.

8 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

It's weird, but amid Rodriguez's slump, I've been comforted seeing Mize and Gore with bumps in the road recently too.

It is a reality check - for sure I was entertaining visions of him pitching for the Sally Championship that probably were a stretch endurance wise for someone in high school last year.  If we want him hot in September for those playoffs, he probably needs a break.  That said, if he doesn't have any health problems that force a break now,  I think workload wise I'd rather do the Strasburg Shutdown plan and just see him pitch 4 months and be done, even if that means he misses the Sally postseason.

The O’s have been pretty careful with Rodriguez.    He only pitched three games in June, and three so far in July.     I think people are overreacting to one bad start.    If he struggles a few times in a row, I’ll worry about it. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2019 at 10:37 AM, Frobby said:

If he struggles a few times in a row, I’ll worry about it. 

Perhaps no need to worry. Went 5 innings last night 2 BB, 2 H, 0 R and 10 Ks. According to this fellow, he touched 97.

• Upvote 1