Second guessing Hyde

HowAboutThat

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No point in IBB when you’re losing by 3+ runs at all times. 

Or when you're 14th in the AL in walks allowed.  There's really no need to intentionally walk anyone, because with this team this year they'd have ended up walking them anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Prefacing this by saying I really like Hyde and think he's done an admirable job with this roster, but man, pitching Givens today was mind blowingly dumb.

So the Buck Showalter move of not using Britton in the playoff game sits well with you???

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Prefacing this by saying I really like Hyde and think he's done an admirable job with this roster, but man, pitching Givens today was mind blowingly dumb.

What was the more obvious move? Sounds like it was mind blowing my dumb only because it didn’t work. 

1 hour ago, WillyM said:

He didn't want to overwork Stevie Wilkerson.

No, actually he was holding back Wilkerson for the save! Having Stevie allowed Hyde to bring Givens into a tie-game away--just as having Britton allowed Buck to bring Ubaldo into the Play-in game.

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

So the Buck Showalter move of not using Britton in the playoff game sits well with you???

Yes not using Britton in a win or go home playoff game is analogous to using a dude who literally threw 30 pitches less than 24 hours ago. They promoted Tate for some bullpen relief just to have Givens throw 60 pitches in a 4 game series right before the deadline.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What was the more obvious move? Sounds like it was mind blowing my dumb only because it didn’t work. 

I mean they used Stevie Wilkerson in a save situation. Clearly they aren't exceptionally concerned with nailing down wins. I'd figure they wouldn't use their only sought after trade bait after he threw 30+ pitches the night before a day game. Instead they could've used the guy they brought up from the minors for precisely this scenario.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Tate was brought up to eat innings in preferably low leverage situations. He was brought up upon desperation not because he was deemed ready.   This was not the scenario he was called up for.  

But it isn't as if the O's are going to have any high leverage innings this season.  In the grand scheme of things the game yesterday wasn't important.

9 hours ago, LTO's said:

I mean they used Stevie Wilkerson in a save situation. Clearly they aren't exceptionally concerned with nailing down wins. I'd figure they wouldn't use their only sought after trade bait after he threw 30+ pitches the night before a day game. Instead they could've used the guy they brought up from the minors for precisely this scenario.

Save situation for Stevie was in the 16th inning. Very different than 9th inning of a tied game going for series sweep. 

Archived