How many current Orioles would not be on another ML roster?

Brion McClanahan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Natty said:

Remember last year, nobody wanted Cobb. He was a free agent and did not get any offers. Then at the last minute we signed him. 

Do you have a source for this? The O's wouldn't have given him four years and $57 million if he had literally no other offers.

2 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Do you have a source for this? The O's wouldn't have given him four years and $57 million if he had literally no other offers.

I think it’s just the silly logic that anyone we sign must suck or not worth it because nobody else wanted them more than that. Could be said of any FA that signs anywhere. 

21 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Not saying Cobb didn't have any other offers, but Chris Davis had no other offers and got an extra 47 million and 2 years from us.  

From what I recall, we needed the fourth year to get Cobb.  I'm not sure if he was willing to sit out (a la Keuchel) or if we were actually bidding against a team that made a three year offer.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 1:57 PM, Frobby said:

You could almost ask it the other way ........ how many Orioles would definitely be on a big league roster if they werent on the Orioles? Villar, Mancini, Cobb, Givens are about the only ones Id say definitely would be. Straily, Bundy, Castro, and Bleier are probables. Everyone else is 50/50, or worse. That's not necessarily a knock on whether some of those players might turn into decent Major Leaguers someday.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:09 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I think that Dwight Smith, Jr would be.

o

o

(15 DAYS LATER)

The 2019 season is still very young, but right now Smith Jr is looking like he could be (at the very least) a 4th outfielder on the most Major League teams.

o

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(15 DAYS LATER)

The 2019 season is still very young, but right now Smith Jr is looking like he could be (at the very least) a 4th outfielder on the most Major League teams.

o

Gained Smith JR and lost Bundy. 

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(15 DAYS LATER)

o

26 minutes ago, atomic said:

Gained Smith Jr, and lost Bundy. 

o

Bundy has pitched better in his last 2 starts, particularly in his most recent one, which was his first quality start of the season. It was the first time this season that he showed effectiveness going through the opposition's batting order more than once (he in fact went through it 3 times.) Ironically, it was Smith Jr who was responsible for the 2 unearned runs while Bundy was on the mound for that start, and quite possibly for a 3rd run on a ball that he misplayed into a double to start the 4th inning.

I think that Bundy would make a number of MLB rosters as either an opener and/or a middle-to-long relief pitcher.

o

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Bundy has pitched better in his last 2 starts, particularly in his most recent one, which was his first quality start of the season. It was the first time this season that he showed effectiveness going through the opposition's batting order more than once (he in fact went through it 3 times.) Ironically, it was Smith Jr who was responsible for the 2 unearned runs while Bundy was on the mound for that start, and quite possibly for a 3rd run on a ball that he misplayed into a double to start the 4th inning.

I think that Bundy would make a number of MLB rosters as either an opener and/or a middle-to-long relief pitcher.

o

Bundy average 90.7 mph on his fastball in his last start.  His fastball speed just keeps going down. We have seen this before from other players with shoulder issues.  And we know how it ends.  It is a shame as I had high hopes for Bundy.

51 minutes ago, atomic said:

Gained Smith JR, and lost Bundy. 

27 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

Bundy average 90.7 mph on his fastball in his last start. His fastball speed just keeps going down. We have seen this before from other players with shoulder issues.  And we know how it ends.  It is a shame as I had high hopes for Bundy.

o

The topic is whether or not players on the Orioles would be on another Major League roster if they were not here, and you opined that Bundy would not be when I said that Dwight Smith Jr is playing well enough to at least be a 4th outfielder on a lot of other teams. Bundy's splits going through the opposition's order the first time this season is inordinately better than when he goes through it a second time, save for his last start when he was effective the 2nd and 3rd times through. There is plenty of room on other MLB rosters besides the Orioles for a pitcher whom is capable of pitching well for 2 or 3 innings, just as there is room for other MLB teams that could use Dwight Smith Jr as a 4th outfielder on their roster.

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The topic is whether or not players on the Orioles would be on another Major League roster if they were not here, and you opined that Bundy would not be when I said that Dwight Smith Jr is playing well enough to at least be a 4th outfielder on a lot of other teams. Bundy's splits going through the opposition's order the first time this season is inordinately better than when he goes through it a second time, save for his last start when he was effective the 2nd and 3rd times through. There is plenty of room on other MLB rosters besides the Orioles for a pitcher whom is capable of pitching well for 2 or 3 innings, just as there is room for other MLB teams that could use Dwight Smith Jr as a 4th outfielder on their roster.

o

It is my opinion Bundy is done and would not be on a major league roster long if he left the Orioles.  I am not sure why I am not allowed to have an opinion.  He led the league in homers allowed last season. 

Bundy's average fastball speed by year

2016: 94.6

2017 92.0

2018 91.6

2019 90.9

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

It is my opinion Bundy is done and would not be on a major league roster long if he left the Orioles.  I am not sure why I am not allowed to have an opinion.  He led the league in homers allowed last season. 

2017 92.0

2018 91.6

2019 90.9

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Bundy's ERA by year

2016 4.02

2017 4.24

2018 5.45

2019 6.56

Yep, you’re allowed to have your opinion, and the numbers you cite back you up.    Still hoping he proves you wrong, though.   

On 4/8/2019 at 8:17 PM, ChuckS said:

Not saying Cobb didn't have any other offers, but Chris Davis had no other offers and got an extra 47 million and 2 years from us.  

From what I recall, we needed the fourth year to get Cobb.  I'm not sure if he was willing to sit out (a la Keuchel) or if we were actually bidding against a team that made a three year offer.   

Chris had an offer from Detroit.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

It is my opinion Bundy is done and would not be on a major league roster long if he left the Orioles.  I am not sure why I am not allowed to have an opinion.  He led the league in homers allowed last season. 

2017 92.0

2018 91.6

2019 90.9

o

Don't start with that "You against the world" rhetoric again. Nowhere did I assert that you were not allowed to have an opinion. I said that you were wrong in regard to Bundy not being able to find a place on another MLB roster besides the Orioles, and I told you why I thought that.

o

Archived