Attendance 2019

Frobby

24 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

soccer has been popular as a rec league sport. But, none of my kids that played rec league soccer, watched the first min of a pro game.

Same for my grandkids now.

But what do they watch?  My kids have played Rec and RecPlus soccer for many years, along with a bit of baseball.  They primarily watch the Xbox.  FIFA, Madden, Fortnight.  When they watch TV it's usually not sports.  They watch way more YouTube than sports.  When they watch sports it's soccer first, then occasionally the O's, sometimes some football.

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But what do they watch?  My kids have played Rec and RecPlus soccer for many years, along with a bit of baseball.  They primarily watch the Xbox.  FIFA, Madden, Fortnight.  When they watch TV it's usually not sports.  They watch way more YouTube than sports.  When they watch sports it's soccer first, then occasionally the O's, sometimes some football.

good point, they are not watching any sports on TV, they play xbox, or the switch and they love fortnight.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

In the court case documents I read yesterday, among the reasons MASN gave for not paying a dividend last year were (1) upcoming contract renewal negotiations with Comcast and DISH, and (2) possible loss of revenue due to cord-cutting.   I read mixed things about the health of the TV sports industry, depending on the day.    Disney just sold its RSN’s to Sinclair for what was regarded as a low price. But MLB recently signed its new TV packages and did very well.   

Sinclair stock went up 15% yesterday over the deal and is one of the few stocks up today in a selloff.  We shall see. It is not like stock traders get it right. I got rid of cable and don't really miss MASN. I watch whatever game is on MLB and am now a Slinger. ?.  It would be nice if the Angelos boys would have streaming in the Baltimore area. I think it is now just us and the Nationals that don't have local streaming. The Dodgers supposedly now have it. Be a nice gesture and show a different path then their father.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/96286803-132.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/05/06/sinclair-ceo-as-stock-soars-fox-deal-will-forever.html

8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Sinclair stock went up 15% yesterday over the deal and is one of the few stocks up today in a selloff.  We shall see. It is not like stock traders get it right. I got rid of cable and don't really miss MASN. I watch whatever game is on MLB and am now a Slinger. ?.  It would be nice if the Angelos boys would have streaming in the Baltimore area. I think it is now just us and the Nationals that don't have local streaming. The Dodgers supposedly now have it. Be a nice gesture and show a different path then their father.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/z-on-tv-blog/96286803-132.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/05/06/sinclair-ceo-as-stock-soars-fox-deal-will-forever.html

I think the Dodgers still have local blackout restrictions, don't they?

Interesting article on Dodgers. They changed their selling to ticket brokers this year. A significant portion of their season tickets were brokers. 

Obliviously the Dodgers aren’t the Orioles but I thought it was a good  article for context.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-tickets-brokers-lawsuit-fans-secondary-market-20190509-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

The O’s drew a total of 123,130 in the last 10 home games, reaching 298,016 for 20 home games so far.    Basically a 1.2 mm fan pace, a 50% drop since they won the AL East in 2014.     And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The O’s drew a total of 103,419 in the last 10 home games, reaching 298,016 for 20 home games so far.    Basically a 1.2 mm fan pace, a 50% drop since they won the AL East in 2014.     And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge.   

The 2014 Orioles drew more in 11 games than the current team through 20.   Through game 20 (and that includes a single gate DH) in 2014, the total was 598,587, double that of 2019.

2014 started off well and kept it up all season.   September was the best month for average game attendance, which has to be very unusual for this town. 

APR - 11G, 319,524,  29,048/G
MAY - 12G, 353,585, 29,465/G
JUN - 18G, 517,485, 28,749/G
JUL - 11G, 338,745, 30,795/G
AUG - 15G, 463,523, 30,902/G
SEP - 14G, 471,611, 33,687/G

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The O’s drew a total of 103,419 in the last 10 home games, reaching 298,016 for 20 home games so far.    Basically a 1.2 mm fan pace, a 50% drop since they won the AL East in 2014.     And getting to 1.2 mm might be a challenge.   

They will draw more then 1.2 once the weather gets better and school is out.  I still expect about 1.4 million when all is said and done.  A weekend series against Boston will get you 100k and 4 game 100k this month.

10 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They will draw more then 1.2 once the weather gets better and school is out.  I still expect about 1.4 million when all is said and done.  A weekend series against Boston will get you 100k and 4 game 100k this month.

I think you’re living in the past.   I’ll try to respond in more detail tomorrow when I have access to some data from past years that I’ve been tracking.   

Where are you seeing a weekend series with Boston this month?   We have weekday series with New York and Detroit and then a weekend series with San Francisco.