MASN dispute update

JohnD

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From an Orioles fan standpoint, it would be nice to have a network solely dedicated to the Orioles once again. Maybe even some Orioles specific programming and some minor league coverage.

Part of me agrees and understands.

But, at what cost.

Cable companies are going to balk at paying 2 cable companies to carry their games, so they will probably select one or the other, which leaves the consumer likely to get screwed.

I have no desire to see Nat games, but my location is halfway between both stadiums, so maybe I dont get a choice.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Part of me agrees and understands.

But, at what cost.

Cable companies are going to balk at paying 2 cable companies to carry their games, so they will probably select one or the other, which leaves the consumer likely to get screwed.

I have no desire to see Nat games, but my location is halfway between both stadiums, so maybe I dont get a choice.

Honestly, there is so little network-generated content on MASN, it hardly matters.   It’s not like their exhaustive coverage of the Nats is crowding out their ability to cover the Orioles.    If the Nats disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, I doubt we’d see any more coverage of the O’s than they do now.   Just more hours of ESPNews or lacrosse games.   

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, there is so little network-generated content on MASN, it hardly matters.   It’s not like their exhaustive coverage of the Nats is crowding out their ability to cover the Orioles.    If the Nats disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, I doubt we’d see any more coverage of the O’s than they do now.   Just more hours of ESPNews or lacrosse games.   

I get that part. I just hope that I dont lose out, because of the dispute, that would pain me greatly.

right now, both channels are broadcast for me, just a matter at looking at MASN 1 or MASN2, and I dont care which one has the games.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been wrong more often than I’ve been right in predicting the outcomes of various aspects of the MASN case, but I’ll be surprised if MASN and the Orioles don’t win the dispute about the dividends.     Generally speaking, companies have almost unfettered discretion whether to pay dividends or not, and since the O’s would receive the majority of the dividends, it’s hard to see what bad faith reason they would have to cause MASN not to pay dividends to its shareholders.

As to the main case, we don’t know what ruling the RSDC has made or what grounds MASN may raise to challenge it, but it is always very hard to challenge an arbitration award and I’ll be surprised if any challenge to this one is successful.   People don’t appreciate that many of the grounds raised last time, including all of the challenges to the rationale of the RSDC ruling, were rejected by the courts.    It was purely the procedural issue of the Nats using lawyers who also had represented MLB on other matters that caused them to lose, and that argument won’t be available this time.    

Well I will defer to you as you obviously have more knowledge of this field.  But even if they don't have a way to win their challenges couldn't it cause a further delay in the final result?

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well I will defer to you as you obviously have more knowledge of this field.  But even if they don't have a way to win their challenges couldn't it cause a further delay in the final result?

First of all, don’t defer to me, because as I said I’ve been wrong more often than I’ve been right on the MASN case.    

Second, sure they can delay the final result.    The last time it took about 3 years from the date of the court filing to the date that the last appeal was rejected, and the highest court in NY didn’t even hear an appeal since the result wasn’t considered final.    So this easily could go on another 3-4 years.   However, just my guess that the trial judge, who is now very familiar with the dispute, will move things along faster this time around.  

37 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I get that part. I just hope that I dont lose out, because of the dispute, that would pain me greatly.

right now, both channels are broadcast for me, just a matter at looking at MASN 1 or MASN2, and I dont care which one has the games.

I wonder if the Orioles should just sell MASN.  I am sure Sinclair Broadcasting would love to have it.  They could get money from selling the RSN and then negotiate a TV deal for the Orioles.  As the Nationals are forced to be on MASN they could probably get a good deal.  

53 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wonder if the Orioles should just sell MASN.  I am sure Sinclair Broadcasting would love to have it.  They could get money from selling the RSN and then negotiate a TV deal for the Orioles.  As the Nationals are forced to be on MASN they could probably get a good deal.  

Or sell to Fox Sports and maybe the Orioles would finally offer in market streaming. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Haha, good point. Saying that, I'm always hopeful that one day someone will run an Orioles netowrk and actually run Orioles content. It's a piped ream probably. :D

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, good point. Saying that, I'm always hopeful that one day someone will run an Orioles netowrk and actually run Orioles content. It's a piped ream probably. :D

I keep waiting for you to approach them with a proposal!    I mean, I know it would be hard for you to provide some analysis as sophisticated as Tom Davis’, but you could try!

• Upvote 1