DJ Stewart 2019

Frobby

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It won't kill him, but it's doing him a disservice.  I also don't think it sends a good message to the other players in the minors, but I don't think means much.

If Stewart is OPSing .967 at the all-star break and he hasn’t been called up, I might agree that wouldn’t be a good message to our other players for him to stay down.    But I don’t think it’s a bad message to say it takes more than a two-week hot streak to get called up.    Mountcastle, Sisco and Stewart have all had their streaks, but let’s see who sustains it.   (I put Mountcastle in a slightly different bucket since he has only 6 weeks of AAA under his belt, whereas Stewart and Sisco have 1+ years.)

All that said, the logjam we have at DH/1B/COF is creating issues.   And it’ll only get worse if Trumbo comes off the IL at some point.   Elias eventually will need to address this.    

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If Stewart is OPSing .967 at the all-star break and he hasn’t been called up, I might agree that wouldn’t be a good message to our other players for him to stay down.    But I don’t think it’s a bad message to say it takes more than a two-week hot streak to get called up.    Mountcastle, Sisco and Stewart have all had their streaks, but let’s see who sustains it.   (I put Mountcastle in a slightly different bucket since he has only 6 weeks of AAA under his belt, whereas Stewart and Sisco have 1+ years.)

All that said, the logjam we have at DH/1B/COF is creating issues.   And it’ll only get worse if Trumbo comes off the IL at some point.   Elias eventually will need to address this.    

If he's hitting like that and not called up by the all star break they should do him a solid and trade him to a team that will give him a shot.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's hitting like that and not called up by the all star break they should do him a solid and trade him to a team that will give him a shot.

I’ll worry about that when it happens.    Two weeks ago his OPS was at .701.    It’s great that Stewart is hot right now, but I don’t expect him to continue at this level.   The real question is what level will he sustain.   

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why? They’ll need Stewart when they trade Mancini at the break. 

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Why? They’ll need Stewart when they trade Mancini at the break. 

First off I don't expect them to trade Mancini.  It isn't the Oriole thing to do and I'll adjust expectations when I see evidence to support it.

Secondly, obviously if the plan is to trade Mancini and bring Stewart up that would change the dynamic. 

23 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off I don't expect them to trade Mancini.  It isn't the Oriole thing to do and I'll adjust expectations when I see evidence to support it.

Secondly, obviously if the plan is to trade Mancini and bring Stewart up that would change the dynamic. 

It has been ‘the Oriole thing to do’ in the past. This is a new regime, right? Are you implying the ghost of PA or the Angelos brothers are not fully invested and Elias doesn’t have control (still wondering about it a bit myself)?

But what would be they’re reasoning for keeping Mancini? If he’s producing there’s no reason to keep him.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

It hasn’t been ‘the Oriole thing to do’ in the past. This is a new regime, right? Are you implying the ghost of PA or the Angelos brothers are not fully invested and Elias doesn’t have control (still wondering about it a bit myself)?

But what would be they’re reasoning for keeping Mancini? If he’s producing there’s no reason to keep him.

Holding onto a pre-arbitration guy isn't an Oriole thing to do?  Pretty sure it is.

The reason to keep him is because he's producing.  He's a face for the fans and all that jazz.

I think he should go, but I'll believe it when I see it.

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I'd keep him because he could be part of our turnaround in a few years. I don't get trading people just to trade them.

He'll be an over 30 right handed bat only guy by that time.

You want to give him the Trumbo contract or the Davis one?

Its really is going to depend on what kind of offers Elias gets for Mancini and Givens in July.   If he can get  several  22-23 year olds with high upsides for them he might have to take the deals to help  the rebuild.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its really is going to depend on what kind of offers Elias gets for Mancini and Givens in July.   If he can get  several  22-23 year olds with high upsides for them he might have to take the deals to help  the rebuild.

They aren't going to be willing to pay Givens 4M+ next year.  No need to.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They aren't going to be willing to pay Givens 4M+ next year.  No need to.

The O's have two bites of the apple on that one.   The could trade Givens at the deadline if they get the right offer.  Or they could trade him over the off season.  

Archived