DJ Stewart 2019

Frobby

47 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Smith has been hard to watch in the field.  Defense would be much better with Stewart in left and Broxton in center.  Smith to 4th outfielder.  Wilkerson to utility infielder and outfielder.  Alberto DFA’d.

Why pick Alberto to DFA he has actually played pretty well.  Why not go to 4 man bench?  Or there is an obvious choice to DFA.  A guy who hasn’t hit over .170 in the last 2 years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Why pick Alberto to DFA he has actually played pretty well.  Why not go to 4 man bench?  Or there is an obvious choice to DFA.  A guy who hasn’t hit over .170 in the last 2 years.

I don’t think they’re willing to give up on Davis quite.  If Wilkerson is your utility player, Alberto is not needed.  With this rotation, they need bodies in the bullpen, so I don’t think they can afford to have fewer pitchers.

I actually agree with you on Davis (I assume that’s who you mean).  I wish they’d let him and Trumbo both go.  Just don’t see it yet.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They didn't want two actual center fielders on the team at the same time.

I feel like if I had made this comment, you would have 100% replied: "Joey Rickard is an actual center fielder?"

So I'm going to make that comment here.

Joey Rickard is an actual center fielder?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm thinking a 2K OPS will show he has mastered the level.

He’s had two months.   First was .700 OPS, second has been 1.400. I need to see 2.800 in June!

More seriously, as great as he’s been this month, let’s see what June brings.   I don’t know that a hot 3+ weeks amounts to mastering a level.     In a way I’m more impressed with Mountcastle, who having not played AAA before, has put up two strong months in a row.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s had two months.   First was .700 OPS, second has been 1.400. I need to see 2.800 in June!

More seriously, as great as he’s been this month, let’s see what June brings.   I don’t know that a hot 3+ weeks amounts to mastering a level.     In a way I’m more impressed with Mountcastle, who having not played AAA before, has put up two strong months in a row.    

Mountcastle's obviously the better prospect but Stewart has a walk rate that is over 4x higher than Mountcastle while having a lower strikeout rate. He's also 25 years old. What's the point of still having him down at AAA at this point? Promote Stewart and DFA Nunez or Ruiz. Let's see what we have with this guy.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree we can't rely on 3 hot weeks, but Stewart is 25 years old. At some point we need to see what he can do for a sustained run in the bigs. I honestly don't think anyone was expecting Dwight Smith to have this type of start to the season and he's taken the spot Stewart would be filling right now. Smith's season so far seems to be the best-case scenario for Stewart. 

18 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

I agree we can't rely on 3 hot weeks, but Stewart is 25 years old. At some point we need to see what he can do for a sustained run in the bigs. I honestly don't think anyone was expecting Dwight Smith to have this type of start to the season and he's taken the spot Stewart would be filling right now. Smith's season so far seems to be the best-case scenario for Stewart. 

Base case scenario for Stewart involves average or slightly better defense and an OBP higher than 312.