DJ Stewart 2019

Frobby

48 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think they want to give Smith Jr. and Nunez a long look this year (at leasy half a season). If they are struggling of found to be wanting, I think Stewart gets the second half of the year as his shot.

I suspect you are right.   I could see Stewart eventually taking Nunez's roster spot.   Still a little unclear what the gameplan with Davis is, I can foresee a time coming soonish where he is blocking Mountcastle from getting any playing time.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shame Mancini can't dh or play first.

That would make the most sense.  DFA Nunez and bring up Stewart.  Move Mancini to first.  Put DJ in Right.  Actually I would just stop playing Chris Davis at this point.  

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Stewart went 3 for 4 tonight and he’s right on the cusp of a .300 BA (.299) and a 1.000 OPS (.991).  

Today’s game is underway and Stewart doubled in his first at bat to raise his average to .304 and his OPS to 1.005.    So, regardless of how the rest of his day goes, he got over those thresholds at one point!    Very impressive!

Just now, orioles22 said:

Yeah, you have to give him credit. I don't have a lot of confidence in him, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot.

For me, I always liked his approach and understood he's a corner outfield. It was either necessary to make more contact or to generate power. It's nice that he seems to be doing both so far.

He's....wait for it.......developing. Nice to see it over a medium-ish sample size too.

I'm of the opinion, that a team this bad has no excuse not to bring up a player like Stewart, who is absolutely tearing it up in Triple A to see what he can do. 

If this roster can make room for the Chris Davis's, Joey Rickards, and Hanser Albertos of the world then it can make room for DJ Stewart too, who unlike the others could actually figure into this team's future. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Today’s game is underway and Stewart doubled in his first at bat to raise his average to .304 and his OPS to 1.005.    So, regardless of how the rest of his day goes, he got over those thresholds at one point!    Very impressive!

Stewart ended the day 2 for 3 with two walks, so up to .307/1.011.   Nice!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Smith has been hard to watch in the field.  Defense would be much better with Stewart in left and Broxton in center.  Smith to 4th outfielder.  Wilkerson to utility infielder and outfielder.  Alberto DFA’d.

Or, Nunez. Big HR today but he often looks lost up there. Smith Jr looks more like a DH everyday.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Smith has been hard to watch in the field.  Defense would be much better with Stewart in left and Broxton in center.  Smith to 4th outfielder.  Wilkerson to utility infielder and outfielder.  Alberto DFA’d.

Also, option Rickard.