Blake Swihart an option?

jamalshw

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I'd pass.  He hasn't had a good offensive season since 2014 in AA.  From what I have read he is not a good defensive catcher.  I don't see the upside.   Elias likes to see guys develop in the minors.   He was never good at AAA and he is 27.   

I don’t get the love for the guy. If Swihart wasn’t with the Red Sox would be ever have been considered a top prospect?

27 years old and hasn’t put up stats at any level in 5 years. The Orioles can do better. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People were making jokes about Swihart being an Oriole (on Twitter) as soon as he was dropped. And I agree with the poster who said Swihart won't clear waivers. 

The Marlin's have also promised some "big" moves today which leads me to think they might DFA Wei Yin Chen. If they do I'm thinking that might set a precedent for the O's eating Davis' contract when he inevitably slumps again. Chen's adjusted salary through 2021 is $58M versus Davis who's adjusted salary through 2022 is roughly $84M.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

People were making jokes about Swihart being an Oriole (on Twitter) as soon as he was dropped. And I agree with the poster who said Swihart won't clear waivers. 

The Marlin's have also promised some "big" moves today which leads me to think they might DFA Wei Yin Chen. If they do I'm thinking that might set a precedent for the O's eating Davis' contract when he inevitably slumps again. Chen's adjusted salary through 2021 is $58M versus Davis who's adjusted salary through 2022 is roughly $84M.

Hmm would the Orioles claim Chen to help  the starting rotation to eat innings this year. ?

Chen might be damaged goods at this point. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Are you sure? I thought the waiver position was determined by last season’s record throughout the year. Does it reset on a game by game basis?

I was corrected about part of it. Until April 30th, the order is based on last season. After April 30th, it is based on current season. So it can change game by game.

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hmm would the Orioles claim Chen to help  the starting rotation to eat innings this year. ?

Chen might be damaged goods at this point. 

Not sure, but I'm not it's so much that he's damaged goods it's that the Marlins seem to be really committed to letting their young SPs play and there doesn't appear to be room for him. They might not all work out, but they have a stable of some very good young arms with upside. Trevor Richards, Caleb Joseph, Pablo Lopez, Sandy Alcantara, etc.

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Not sure, but I'm not it's so much that he's damaged goods it's that the Marlins seem to be really committed to letting their young SPs play and there doesn't appear to be room for him. They might not all work out, but they have a stable of some very good young arms with upside. Trevor Richards, Caleb Joseph, Pablo Lopez, Sandy Alcantara, etc.

Is there another Caleb Joseph or is that a typo?

4 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

No thanks. I’m happy with the job Sucre and Severino are doing.

Sucre is nearly a 4A player and perhaps a back up because he has no bat. Severino was a nice grab due to availability but should not block this move. I would look to trade the AAA backup (I can remember his name Perez?)

*****it wouldn’t surprise me if f they work out a trade for him with somebody***

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don’t get the love for the guy. If Swihart wasn’t with the Red Sox would be ever have been considered a top prospect?

27 years old and hasn’t put up stats at any level in 5 years. The Orioles can do better. 

His MLB career OPS of .679 would be like 5th best on our team. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His MLB career OPS of .679 would be like 5th best on our team. 

Which is mostly bolstered by Swihart's first two seasons with the Red Sox. His OPS since 2017 is .624.  I would rather ride with the current guys on the 40 man roster.

Year Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2017-2019 BOS 100 243 223 33 51 11 0 4 22 6 1 19 67 .229 .292 .332 .624 69 74 4 1 0 0 0

Just because we can doesn’t mean we should.You should never get something that merely duplicates what you already have. And Swihart Apparently isn’t even as good as what we already have. Plus, adding him would require dumping somebody from the roster, and we’ve already done that. MoveOn folks, nothing to see here.

33 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Which is mostly bolstered by Swihart's first two seasons with the Red Sox. His OPS since 2017 is .624.  I would rather ride with the current guys on the 40 man roster.

Year Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2017-2019 BOS 100 243 223 33 51 11 0 4 22 6 1 19 67 .229 .292 .332 .624 69 74 4 1 0 0 0

You dismiss his first two season but dont mention his injury in 2017.  Seems like selective bias.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Just because we can doesn’t mean we should.You should never get something that merely duplicates what you already have. And Swihart Apparently isn’t even as good as what we already have. Plus, adding him would require dumping somebody from the roster, and we’ve already done that. MoveOn folks, nothing to see here.

I’m not sure he’s duplicative. We have two glove first catchers with limited upside now. Swihart is a former top prospect who switch hits, was projected as a plus bat with adequate or average defensive skills. 

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I’m not sure he’s duplicative. We have two glove first catchers with limited upside now. Swihart is a former top prospect who switch hits, was projected as a plus bat with adequate or average defensive skills. 

So was Andrew Susac. How well did that go?

Archived