Dominican Summer League

Enjoy Terror

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Still a lot of 18 and 19 year olds being signed.  Very unlikely to ever make an impact.  I didn't think a 26 year old counted toward International signings?

I’m not entirely sure what the point of signing a 26yo out of the Dominican is. They may not assign him to a rookie league, but I don’t know what else to say about it. These guys are so difficult to find anything out about.

The cool thing about the Internet is that a lot of these guys have Instagram and you can see them post pictures of themselves signing the paperwork to become Orioles. Such an awesome moment for them.

Hector Lucero was just signed a few days ago; here’s his Instagram.

Anyelo Reyes and his family.

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’m not entirely sure what the point of signing a 26yo out of the Dominican is. They may not assign him to a rookie league, but I don’t know what else to say about it. These guys are so difficult to find anything out about.

The cool thing about the Internet is that a lot of these guys have Instagram and you can see them post pictures of themselves signing the paperwork to become Orioles. Such an awesome moment for them.

Hector Lucero was just signed a few days ago; here’s his Instagram.

Anyelo Reyes and his family.

The catcher is an organizational depth move.  I'm sure he didn't cost anything.

This is pretty striking. I'm sure the WAR breakdown would be pretty staggering, though a lot of players on that list (e.g., Victor Robles) are still quite young. You really can see the talent pool the O's weren't even giving themselves a chance to tap. That's so demoralizing, or at least it was.

Interestingly, the O's now have several of these guys. Just eyeballing it, I see Alberto, Nunez, Ynoa, Yefry R., Castro, Villar and Sucre. I'm guessing I missed (or don't know) 1-2 others too. 

First of all, fantastic work in the first two posts.    Must’ve been a lot of work to assemble that and even type it up.    If I could rep those posts more than once, I would.    

Second, I’m pretty surprised that only 270 players who played in the majors played in the DSL over the last 12 years.   About 25-30% of major leaguers are foreign born.   Per Forbes, last year there were 84 Dominicans on OD rosters (or the IL), 74 from Venezuela.    I would have guessed that the vast majority of these played in the DSL at one time, and that’s just the OD roster for a single season.    Based on that I would have guessed 400-500 players who’d been in the majors over the last 12 years came through the DSL.    Part of the issue, I guess, is the time lag.   A 16-year old from 2006 would be 29 today, so a lot of the 30+ year old Dominican players would have been elsewhere in 2006, and the kids entering the DSL after 2013 may not be ready for the majors yet.   That probably explains why it’s only 270 rather than the higher number I would have guessed.  

Last year 60 foreign born players debuted in the majors who were signed as amateur free agents.    29 were born in the DR, 16 in Venezuela, 5 in Cuba, 4 in Panama, 3 in Japan and 1 each in Mexico, Nicaragua and Colombia.   I haven’t dug into how many played in the DSL, but I’d guess 45ish.   Interestingly, I looked at a few of the DSL rosters from last year, and less than half the players on those rosters are Dominican born players.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

First of all, fantastic work in the first two posts.    Must’ve been a lot of work to assemble that and even type it up.    If I could rep those posts more than once, I would.    

Second, I’m pretty surprised that only 270 players who played in the majors played in the DSL over the last 12 years.   About 25-30% of major leaguers are foreign born.   Per Forbes, last year there were 84 Dominicans on OD rosters (or the IL), 74 from Venezuela.    I would have guessed that the vast majority of these played in the DSL at one time, and that’s just the OD roster for a single season.    Based on that I would have guessed 400-500 players who’d been in the majors over the last 12 years came through the DSL.    Part of the issue, I guess, is the time lag.   A 16-year old from 2006 would be 29 today, so a lot of the 30+ year old Dominican players would have been elsewhere in 2006, and the kids entering the DSL after 2013 may not be ready for the majors yet.   That probably explains why it’s only 270 rather than the higher number I would have guessed.  

Last year 60 foreign born players debuted in the majors who were signed as amateur free agents.    29 were born in the DR, 16 in Venezuela, 5 in Cuba, 4 in Panama, 3 in Japan and 1 each in Mexico, Nicaragua and Colombia.   I haven’t dug into how many played in the DSL, but I’d guess 45ish.   Interestingly, I looked at a few of the DSL rosters from last year, and less than half the players on those rosters are Dominican born players.  

The tippy top of the international signing class often debuts in the AZL or the GCL. Wander Franco debuted in the Pioneer League.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per Forbes, last year there were 84 Dominicans on OD rosters (or the IL), 74 from Venezuela.    I would have guessed that the vast majority of these played in the DSL at one time, and that’s just the OD roster for a single season. 

I did this for 40-man rosters for Opening Day 2018 and 2019 (coincidentally both had 1187 players at the time):

2019 314 - DOM 142 VEN 97 CUB 21 MEX 12 JPN 7 COL 6 NED 6 TAI 6 PAN 5 KOR 4 BRA 3 AUS 2 NIC 1 GER 1 LIT 1

2018 327 - DOM 141 VEN 103 CUB 20 MEX 10 JPN 9 COL 8 PAN 8 NED 6 TAI 5 NIC 4 AUS 4 KOR 3 BRA 3 GER 1 LIT 1 RSA 1

• Upvote 2

On 4/24/2019 at 5:33 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Still a lot of 18 and 19 year olds being signed.  Very unlikely to ever make an impact.  I didn't think a 26 year old counted toward International signings?

What does their age have to do with whether or not they end up making an impact?

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

What does their age have to do with whether or not they end up making an impact?

The theory is that if they were potential impact players, they would have been signed at 16.   Of course, there certainly can be players whose physical abilities change a great deal between 16 and 18.     It would be interesting to know if there have been any impact major leaguers from the DR, Venezuela etc. in recent years who weren’t gobbled up until they were 18-19.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Frobby said:

The theory is that if they were potential impact players, they would have been signed at 16.   Of course, there certainly can be players whose physical abilities change a great deal between 16 and 18.     It would be interesting to know if there have been any impact major leaguers from the DR, Venezuela etc. in recent years who weren’t gobbled up until they were 18-19.

You are once again much more polite than I was planning on being.  I will add that they could have signed at 17 if they had hit a growth spurt, no rules precluding it.

I also wouldn't be shocked to find out that some of these players have already signed with, and been released from, other organizations.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

No precedent. Not that I’m an encylopedia of knowledge or anything, but I’d wager there’s not a person on the planet who started pro-ball at 26 and has been in the major leagues. 

Im going to have to look that up though.