Dominican Summer League

Enjoy Terror

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

No precedent. Not that I’m an encylopedia of knowledge or anything, but I’d wager there’s not a person on the planet who started pro-ball at 26 and has been in the major leagues. 

Im going to have to look that up though.

All sorts of crazy stuff happened in the early days of organized ball. (I guess you could say someone that played in 1870 isn't on the planet)

There is also the question of if the Cuban leagues count as pro ball.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are once again much more polite than I was planning on being.  I will add that they could have signed at 17 if they had hit a growth spurt, no rules precluding it.

I also wouldn't be shocked to find out that some of these players have already signed with, and been released from, other organizations.

Roch indicated today that we might actually have some decent signings when July 2 rolls around. Of course, Elias and Perez both made it clear that most of the elite talent has handshake agreements with teams a year or two before they are eligible to be signed, so I’m not expecting miracles.   But if they could find at least a few nuggets to whet our appetites, it would be nice.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Roch indicated today that we might actually have some decent signings when July 2 rolls around. Of course, Elias and Perez both made it clear that most of the elite talent has handshake agreements with teams a year or two before they are eligible to be signed, so I’m not expecting miracles.   But if they could find at least a few nuggets to whet our appetites, it would be nice.   

I'm still in camp they can't spend all their allotted money until I see evidence otherwise.  Of course they could make a couple decent signings for a lot less that their full allotment.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still in camp they can't spend all their allotted money until I see evidence otherwise.  Of course they could make a couple decent signings for a lot less that their full allotment.

I’m more focused on them making some decent signings than on whether they spend their whole allotment.   Of course, it’ll be a couple of years before we know if any of the signees look promising, whereas we’ll know more or less immediately how much they’ve spent. 

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m more focused on them making some decent signings than on whether they spend their whole allotment.   Of course, it’ll be a couple of years before we know if any of the signees look promising, whereas we’ll know more or less immediately how much they’ve spent. 

I think it is an issue if spending is being constrained.

You can work as hard as everyone else but if you can only spend half of what the other teams are you won't ever catch up.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is an issue if spending is being constrained.

You can work as hard as everyone else but if you can only spend half of what the other teams are you won't ever catch up.

Let’s say they don’t spend their whole allotment.   We probably will never know whether that’s because (1) ownership is constraining the spending, or (2) most of the really good prospects were committed to other teams already and Elias/Perez didn’t want to throw money at guys just for the sake of saying they spent their allotment.   It might be 2021 before we’re really on a level playing field (handshake this year, formal signing in two years).    That said, I’m hoping it won’t take that long.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say they don’t spend their whole allotment.   We probably will never know whether that’s because (1) ownership is constraining the spending, or (2) most of the really good prospects were committed to other teams already and Elias/Perez didn’t want to throw money at guys just for the sake of saying they spent their allotment.   It might be 2021 before we’re really on a level playing field (handshake this year, formal signing in two years).    That said, I’m hoping it won’t take that long.    

And if they don't spend it all in years 3, 4 and 5?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are once again much more polite than I was planning on being.  I will add that they could have signed at 17 if they had hit a growth spurt, no rules precluding it.

I also wouldn't be shocked to find out that some of these players have already signed with, and been released from, other organizations.

I'm not sure why you would have been impolite responding to me. It was a genuine question. I know we disagree on the international stuff a lot but I've certainly never pretended to know much about it.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And if they don't spend it all in years 3, 4 and 5?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be very concerned.

I would want to see big movement by year 3 certainly. Year 2 we could theoretically give them the benefit of the doubt still, especially if there are signs it's trending right.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be very concerned.

The only reasons I can imagine for ownership to not spend here are:

1. They don't think it's worth it. I think that would be ludicrous given what Elias has stated and his ability to make a data case for this spending being more efficient than free agency, for example. Regardless, this is where we stood under PA. 

2. They simply can't get the talent at close to the right price. This is where we supposedly stand right now. Need to build the program.

3. They're being tight everywhere. The reasons for that are they're preparing to sell the team after PA passes or they're just cutting off their noses to spite their faces, which brings us back to #1.

Given all that's been said publicly, I really doubt the suns "value" the international market anything like PA did. If they don't spend more/most of the allotment over time, I'd wager it's because they're preparing to sell the team. 

• 3 weeks later...