Promising Starter Prospects Bring Hope for the Future

Greg Pappas

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Scott McGregor wouldn't sniff the majors in today's game.  The enoucaraging thing about Bundy is he can still strike some guys out.

Really?  McGregor wouldn't sniff the Majors in today's game?  Oh boy!!  What a statement!!

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but here’s a few reasons.

1. His velocity is steadily declining, HR allowed on FB has negative relationship with velocity. Faster the pitch, lower the HR rate, slower = higher.

2. It’s not magic, even the best player development or coaching can’t fix everyone

3. Change is hard, especially for someone who has been doing things the same way.

4. It doesn’t happen overnight

The thing with Bundy is without the fastball, which doesn’t play at 89-92, he has to pitch backwards and doesn’t have enough consistent feel for the secondaries to do that regularly (sometimes it works, like his last start). I think his best path forward is in the offseason go to Tread or Driveline or RPP and just work on getting the velocity back.

Bundy could be the guy we go to in late innings v teams stacked with lefties. 

Season Handedness IP ERA TBF H 2B 3B R ER HR BB IBB HBP SO AVG OBP SLG wOBA
2019 vs L 22.1 - - - 98 19 6 0 7 6 2 8 0 2 17 .216 .296 .352 .285

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Scott McGregor wouldn't sniff the majors in today's game.  The enoucaraging thing about Bundy is he can still strike some guys out.

I disagree that McGregor wouldn't have come close to being a big leaguer.  Comparing different era's is never an easy thing, but I think McGregor would have been successful playing now.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I agree...although I doubt he will be able to regain velocity....although I could see him perhaps following a Scott McGregor path as I believe Dylan has a very high pitching acumen. 

Stranger things have happened, like Kyle Zimmer going from completely broken to throwing 95-96 again.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I disagree that McGregor wouldn't have come close to being a big leaguer.  Comparing different era's is never an easy thing, but I think McGregor would have been successful playing now.  

If you are working off the idea that McGregor of today would have a 92 MPH and could get 6K/9 you might be right.

What I meant is that you are not going to see a guy with an 87 MPH FB who is walking 2.2/9 and striking out 3.8/9 make it.

In AAA he walked 4.4/9 and struck out 5.2/9.

Would you call that guy up?

It isn't the same game.

I'd apologize for hurting fan boy feelings but I'm not sorry.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are working off the idea that McGregor of today would have a 92 MPH and could get 6K/9 you might be right.

What I meant is that you are not going to see a guy with an 87 MPH FB who is walking 2.2/9 and striking out 3.8/9 make it.

It isn't the same game.

Yeah, it’s just a different game.   Way more strikeouts and way more homers.   A guy we might compare to McGregor wouldn’t have the same statistical profile he had.   But there are still crafty lefties in the game.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't the same game.

It's cool to disagree, but not cool to try to disparage my take as 'fan boy feelings'.  Anytime a poster, whether here, on Twitter, or anywhere else, begins to sling insults, I lose respect for them and shut down the discussion on my end. 

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

It's cool to disagree, but not cool to try to disparage my take as 'fan boy feelings'.  Anytime a poster, whether here, on Twitter, or anywhere else, begins to sling insults, I lose respect for them and shut down the discussion on my end. 

You wern't the person I was referring to.

You gave an intelligent response to my post.