Promising Starter Prospects Bring Hope for the Future

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, WarehouseChatter said:

It’s all about development as they move throughout the system - something we’ve sadly not been able to  over the last ump-teen years.  With new leadership, I hope this changes.  

Your comment leaves us on the horns of a dilemma. If new management is bringing in increased awareness and competence and procedures in coaching, then how do we explain the fact that Bundy has made no consistent improvement?

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I talk about a bunch of these guys in this podcast with Adam Pohl.

Anyone else having trouble listening to the interview with Luke?  I am able to listen to the interviews with Bannon and Erwin but I only get the intro music on the interview with Luke.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Your comment leaves us on the horns of a dilemma. If new management is bringing in increased awareness and competence and procedures in coaching, then how do we explain the fact that Bundy has made no consistent improvement?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but here’s a few reasons.

1. His velocity is steadily declining, HR allowed on FB has negative relationship with velocity. Faster the pitch, lower the HR rate, slower = higher.

2. It’s not magic, even the best player development or coaching can’t fix everyone

3. Change is hard, especially for someone who has been doing things the same way.

4. It doesn’t happen overnight

The thing with Bundy is without the fastball, which doesn’t play at 89-92, he has to pitch backwards and doesn’t have enough consistent feel for the secondaries to do that regularly (sometimes it works, like his last start). I think his best path forward is in the offseason go to Tread or Driveline or RPP and just work on getting the velocity back.

• Upvote 2

Prospects are always interesting....and, over the  years, we have seen up and down cycles of enthusiasm for our pitching prospects.    For me,  I will wait patiently up here at Camden Yards and when and if somebody actually does it....actually pitches well as a top notch starter for us sometime down the road, I will allow myself to be pleasantly surprised.  

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

1. His velocity is steadily declining, HR allowed on FB has negative relationship with velocity. Faster the pitch, lower the HR rate, slower = higher.

2. It’s not magic, even the best player development or coaching can’t fix everyone

3. Change is hard, especially for someone who has been doing things the same way.

The thing with Bundy is without the fastball, which doesn’t play at 89-92, he has to pitch backwards and doesn’t have enough consistent feel for the secondaries to do that regularly (sometimes it works, like his last start). I think his best path forward is in the offseason go to Tread or Driveline or RPP and just work on getting the velocity back.

Why would I take that the wrong way? I’m very happy to have an in-depth answer from you at any time.

I do believe that the new approach in analytics will take some time as they need to first get a baseline,  analyze said baseline, approach player to change, have the changes implemented, adjust the changes to the changed baseline, repeat.

It;s not like changing spark plugs in a car.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

I agree...although I doubt he will be able to regain velocity....although I could see him perhaps following a Scott McGregor path as I believe Dylan has a very high pitching acumen. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I agree...although I doubt he will be able to regain velocity....although I could see him perhaps following a Scott McGregor path as I believe Dylan has a very high pitching acumen. 

Scott McGregor wouldn't sniff the majors in today's game.  The enoucaraging thing about Bundy is he can still strike some guys out.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hunter Harvey should not be on any prospect list. 6.23 ERA in Bowie and always waiting for the other shoe to drop when it comes to Harvey’s health. 

Anything he contributes at MLB level is a bonus. 

I had taken him off, but changed my mind.