Promising Starter Prospects Bring Hope for the Future

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it’s just a different game.   Way more strikeouts and way more homers.   A guy we might compare to McGregor wouldn’t have the same statistical profile he had.   But there are still crafty lefties in the game.

Sure, and they throw harder, strike more guys out and probably walk fewer guys.

Someone with Scotty's exact profile very possibly woudln't make it out of the minors.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It's cool to disagree, but not cool to try to disparage my take as 'fan boy feelings'.  Anytime a poster, whether here, on Twitter, or anywhere else, begins to sling insults, I lose respect for them and shut down the discussion on my end. 

Last time I got in a debate with Corn I ended up watch you’ve got mail on repeat for 16 straight days, I just needed the gentle company of Meg Ryan & Tom Hanks. I can lend you my dvd if you promise to take good care of it. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hunter Harvey should not be on any prospect list. 6.23 ERA in Bowie and always waiting for the other shoe to drop when it comes to Harvey’s health. 

Anything he contributes at MLB level is a bonus. 

I'm not ready to give up on Harvey based on his stats.  His K/BB ratio is fine, but his ERA is blown up because he's given up a lot of HRs.  One possible interpretation is that he still has good stuff, but he hasn't pitched in so long that he needs a lot of reps to regain consistency and command.    

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm not ready to give up on Harvey based on his stats.  His K/BB ratio is fine, but his ERA is blown up because he's given up a lot of HRs.  One possible interpretation is that he still has good stuff, but he hasn't pitched in so long that he needs a lot of reps to regain consistency and command.    

I’m not giving up on him, but he’s not close to being ready for the majors.    His loss of development time is a real impediment to readiness even if he’s finally healthy.   

I check the minor league results every day because the starter prospects are so fun to track. I’d include Fenter on that list....Delmarva has been incredible. Gives me some hope that the rebuild will have a nice running start. I’ve had 15 starters on my watch list....and I’m also not factoring Ortiz or Tate. Also not expecting anything from Harvey. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The thing that concerns me with Harvey it’s two years in a row of bloated ERAs at Bowie. There is still time but he is 24 years  and needs to show something this year.

I don’t want to keep hearing about his potential. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are working off the idea that McGregor of today would have a 92 MPH and could get 6K/9 you might be right.

What I meant is that you are not going to see a guy with an 87 MPH FB who is walking 2.2/9 and striking out 3.8/9 make it.

In AAA he walked 4.4/9 and struck out 5.2/9.

Would you call that guy up?

It isn't the same game.

I'd apologize for hurting fan boy feelings but I'm not sorry.

Sure...that 83 Phillies lineup...none of those guys could play today either anyway, that Schmidt guy particularly......and absolutely no way could the guy who shut them down in the World Series pitch in today’s game ..lol.     Because these hitters today are so off the charts good  that consistently varied offspeed pitching locations never causes them any problems...LOL. 

McGregor was initially 91-92 and then in his first season coming over from the Yankees, he and George Bamberger completely changed his approach as a lefthander using one of the best changeups, curves of that era with pinpoint control and knowing how to pitch different speeds, different locations. .     Dylan Bundy should be so lucky to have a 20 WAR career. 

How fast was Jered Weaver?  I forget....did he play recently or was it in the 1980s?    I guess that Greg Maddux guy would not be able to do much with the likes of Chris Davis...

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Sure...that 83 Phillies lineup...none of those guys could play today either anyway, that Schmidt guy particularly......and absolutely no way could the guy who shut them down in the World Series pitch in today’s game ..lol.     Because these hitters today are so off the charts good  that consistently varied offspeed pitching locations never causes them any problems...LOL. 

McGregor was initially 91-92 and then in his first season coming over from the Yankees, he and George Bamberger completely changed his approach as a lefthander using one of the best changeups, curves of that era with pinpoint control and knowing how to pitch different speeds, different locations. .     Dylan Bundy should be so lucky to have a 20 WAR career. 

How fast was Jered Weaver?  I forget....did he play recently or was it in the 1980s?    I guess that Greg Maddux guy would not be able to do much with the likes of Chris Davis...

Sure walked a lot of guys for having pinpoint control. 

Jared Weaver struck out 7.1/9 for his career.

You can't allow today's hitters to put that many balls in play, they do too much damage.

I will agree that at this stage, with his injury history, Bundy will be lucky to have a 20 WAR career.  I bet his 91 MPH FB and that cutter/slider of his sure would have played in the late 70's.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I didn’t want to disparage your questioning, even though I strongly disagreed with premise.

I’m not sure what you think my premise was. I meant to suggest that whatever the new approach is, it isn’t helping Bundy, and I wonder if that’s going to be a problem. I’m not suggesting it means the coaches are bad or that Bundy is stubborn, rather that he might have some underlying problems that aren’t fixable.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure walked a lot of guys for having pinpoint control. 

Jared Weaver struck out 7.1/9 for his career.

You can't allow today's hitters to put that many balls in play, they do too much damage.

I will agree that at this stage, with his injury history, Bundy will be lucky to have a 20 WAR career.  I bet his 91 MPH FB and that cutter/slider of his sure would have played in the late 70's.

Yeah,  1979 he walked a grand total of 23 in  174.2 innings....pretty bad.  And then he really lost his control  in 1983 when he walked 45 guys in 260 innings. 

Being able to throw a pitch exactly where you want it is a unique skill,  Scott McGregor at his best was precision. 

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Yes, and no doubt, but remember there’s a huge gap between AA and AAA and a bigger gap between AAA and the show.

True? I had thought some of the better prospects were at AA, whereas AAA is sometimes more for AAAA/career types. If that makes any sense... ;)

• Upvote 1