Promising Starter Prospects Bring Hope for the Future

Greg Pappas

I try to temper my expectations but I can’t help but to be very excited.  Even more than 3 out of 5 to pan out, I want a legit certified ace.  A guy we trot out every 5th day and know we have a good chance to win that game.  Haven’t had one in a while in Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1

I’m really interested in whether someone like Wells, who throws smart but not hard, can have success in The Show. I’m hoping so.

I agree that Ortiz and Tate were mistakes by Dan(or by whomever did those transactions)and not meaningful additions, but there’s a lot here to be hopeful about.

• Upvote 1

Not a lot of blue chippers other than Hall and Rodriguez, but we have great depth. 

When there is this much depth though a few guys you don't expect much from are bound to work out.  Bruce Zimmerman could be another John Means.  Dean Kramer and Keegan Akin have great peripherals, although they are only moderately rated as prospects.  The old calvary went about 4-5 deep.  This one goes 10-12 deep.  Even with a high failure/wash-out rate we are assured of getting 3 or 4 long-term starters from this bunch. 

I bet we get a few effective/high leverage relievers from this bunch as well.  Harvey, Peralta, and Baumann I could envision filling that kind of role. 

• Upvote 2

I'll be interested in seeing how they handle promotions since there is such a glut of starters at Frederick and Bowie. 

Kremer will certainly be back in Bowie very shortly.  Baumann and Sedlock are making cases for promotions as well.  The only Bowie starter I can see moved up to Norfolk at this point is Zimmerman.  Lowther maybe in another month if he's still pitching to a sub 2.50 ERA.  So maybe those two promotions will allow for Baumann and Sedlock to be moved up by mid-season. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m really interested in whether someone like Wells, who throws smart but not hard, can have success in The Show. I’m hoping so.

I agree that Ortiz and Tate were mistakes by Dan(or by whomever did those transactions)and not meaningful additions, but there’s a lot here to be hopeful about.

Aren't those guys known as crafty left-handers, like Moyer?

Starting pitching prospects is definitely the strength of the organization. I am optimistic that the core of our future rotation is already in the system. Akin, Lowther, and Kremer look to be MLB starters within the next 2-3 years. Hall and Grayson have TOR potential. Means looks legit already. Even without Harvey that is a pretty strong group. Maybe he can be turned into a closer and the other guys turn into 5th starter/longman types. That covers quite a few bases.

1 hour ago, panick said:

Aren't those guys known as crafty left-handers, like Moyer?

Yes, absolutely, but what I have read about Wells is that even though he’s very accurate, he just doesn’t throw hard enough to succeed at the big level. I really hope that’s wrong, because I love the idea of a guy with an 89 mile an hour fastball being a success

31 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I almost made this same joke, but it's playing with fire, teasing the devil, toying with voodoo. The C word is not allowed. Banned. Totally verboten. 

Calvary is where our Lord met his end. Cavalry is a bunch of Army guys on horseback

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Yes, absolutely, but what I have read about Wells is that even though he’s very accurate, he just doesn’t throw hard enough to succeed at the big level. I really hope that’s wrong, because I love the idea of a guy with an 89 mile an hour fastball being a success

The fact that he’s handling AA so far is encouraging.