There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Or, he could end up not hitting a plus slider. Less risk with a guy who's seen the best college pitching as opposed to a guy who has never had to struggle or adjust.

I definitely agree with you that there is less Risk in drafting Rutschman but I also think there is a higher reward in Witt Jr. it’s an interesting debate one which I don’t think we can go wrong with either way.Like I said previously there’s just something about a stuff SS that attracts me more than a stud catcher. The fan in me likes watching a stud SS make highlight real plays than watching a catcher throw a runner out. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

When we are scouting a player are we able to work that player out have our own guys pitch to them or so we have to base everything off what we see from them in there own games?

Not in baseball. There are no tryouts like that.

2 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I definitely agree with you that there is less Risk in drafting Rutschman but I also think there is a higher reward in Witt Jr. it’s an interesting debate one which I don’t think we can go wrong with either way.Like I said previously there’s just something about a stuff SS that attracts me more than a stud catcher. The fan in me likes watching a stud SS make highlight real plays than watching a catcher throw a runner out. 

I don't agree with this. I think Rutschman's ceiling is just as high with a MUCH lower floor. The Oriole's need a slam dunk 1st pick and Rutchsman is about as close as you can come to making that happen. They can get cute / creative in the later rounds.  

I also get that this is probably I stupid but it always pops in my head and I get that guys develop differently and I think of it when I think about all the college guys going at the top of the draft but the thought that always pops in my head is if they’re so good why weren’t they being picked in the top of the draft when they were 18. Like I said probably stupid  but I can’t  help but think it.  

1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

SS, catcher and CF are all key positions, but catcher is the toughest one to fill. That said, if the O's choose one of the other guys I won't be upset (unless it's the right-hand hitting first baseman, then I'll be upset). I just hope we draft and sign the one who delivers the most value. 

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

SS, catcher and CF are all key positions, but catcher is the toughest one to fill. That said, if the O's choose one of the other guys I won't be upset (unless it's the right-hand hitting first baseman, then I'll be upset). I just hope we draft and sign the one who delivers the most value. 

It’s the Value Elias is after I’m most interested in knowing. Is it the player that brings the most individual value or the player that allows the organization to add the most value? What do we covet? 

2 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I also get that this is probably I stupid but it always pops in my head and I get that guys develop differently and I think of it when I think about all the college guys going at the top of the draft but the thought that always pops in my head is if they’re so good why weren’t they being picked in the top of the draft when they were 18. Like I said probably stupid  but I can’t  help but think it.  

Barry Bonds went to college. 

3 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

It’s the Value Elias is after I’m most interested in knowing. Is it the player that brings the most individual value or the player that allows the organization to add the most value? What do we covet? 

I don't need to know anything, because the pros are smarter at this than I am. I just want a contending team and a sustainable talent pipeline. I suspect it will take a lot more talent than we will get from this draft to make that a reality.

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't agree with this. I think Rutschman's ceiling is just as high with a MUCH lower floor. The Oriole's need a slam dunk 1st pick and Rutchsman is about as close as you can come to making that happen. They can get cute / creative in the later rounds.  

I hear ya but I don’t think there is nothing cute or creative about Witt Jr. maybe the other guys. I get Rutschman has produced at the higher level against tougher competition but Witt has done nothing but dominate the competition  he has faced correct? Most scouts have Witt rated plus in every area I believe except his hit tool( plus speed plus glove plus arm plus power) and that was due to a concern of some swing and misses he showed in some tournament most scouts have said that’s been over blown. From a pure talent stand point based off how they’ve performed against the talent they’ve faced  I don’t see how one can say Rutschman is clearly better. Is trackman being used in highschooL or any other software that can track exit velocity launch angle bat speed etc? 

12 minutes ago, makoman said:

Barry Bonds went to college. 

And he’s also a cheater! Him and the others should be stricken from all records! Just my opinion and it’s sucks because it’s the era I grew up watching and it’s been tarnished by greed. I place as much blame if not more on the owners but I do t want to hijack this thread on this subject. 

13 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Since 1991 has any team in baseball been worse at first round picks than Baltimore? 

(Post Mussina)

Jeffrey Hammonds, Brian Roberts, Nick Markakis (who seemed to get overlooked in most of the subsequent comments), Matt Wieters, Brian Matusz, Manny Machado, Dylan Bundy, Kevin Gausman.  I'm not saying they all ended up being outstanding picks or what everyone hoped they would be (Hammonds, Wieters, Matusz), but they all made the show and made an impact at varying points.  There are others two you could extend the conversation to who at least got to the big leagues like Adam Loewen, Larry Bigbie, etc.  Frankly I'd argue that in terms of perceived ineptitude, people are most likely basing it off the 1998-2001 specifically period where picks just didn't work out, they had a ton of picks and they didn't work out (1999), or the pick just made no damn sense (Chris Smith), followed by the 2004-2006 period with the Wade Townsend debacle and the everlasting butt hurtness over Billy Rowell.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Just idly wondering...Who would Dan take?

The more appropriate question is who would Gary Rajisch take.  He was the scouting director.  How much Dan Duquette influenced the draft was never really all that clear to me, but it was always Rajisch that was doing the post draft interviews and that sort of thing.

Elias to my knowledge hasn't hired a scouting director as of yet (I could definitely be wrong about that!) but it does sound like at least for his first draft he's going to be pretty heavily involved or at least more so than DD was.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

The more appropriate question is who would Gary Rajisch take.  He was the scouting director.  How much Dan Duquette influenced the draft was never really all that clear to me, but it was always Rajisch that was doing the post draft interviews and that sort of thing.

Elias to my knowledge hasn't hired a scouting director as of yet (I could definitely be wrong about that!) but it does sound like at least for his first draft he's going to be pretty heavily involved or at least more so than DD was.

Nope, you're correct. This draft is Mike's baby all the way. I bet we hire a guy later this summer or during the fall/winter. 

Archived